My elder friend warrants me about toxemia. She said that most cases of toxemia happen with first pregnancies. She has a lot experience with this, and she knows that second and subsequent pregnancies are at lower risk. It interested me especially when I have heard it is also important if woman is with a new partner. Since I want to have a baby, I think I need to know more about it.

It is still unknown what causes toxemia, so this is something you will not find out, at least not for now. You need to know too, that there is no way to tell if a woman is at risk before she gets pregnant. Every year thousands of women suffer from pregnancy induced hypertension, and this disease has two names, Toxemia and Preeclampsia. Toxemia starts to develop as your placenta begins to develop. Anyway, it may not be able to detect until the later part of your pregnancy. Most cases of Toxemia happen with first pregnancies, that is truth. All you can do is to make sure you see your doctor regularly during your pregnancy. That will help him or her to detect any signs of possible toxemia. They will probably check your blood pressure for this reason. As it starts to rise, this is the first evidence of toxemia, and some other symptoms include bloating of the hands, feet and face due to your body retaining fluids.