Hello, my name is Ben. My fiance and I were wondering what is toxemia exactly? We would like bold face truth, no beating around the bush. She is 32 weeks prgnant and we want to know how this toxemia stuff can effect her and our unborn child.No matter how scary it is we would just like the truth. Can anyone help us better understand this?

Thankyou,

Ben & Crystal

Toxemia is Pregnancy-induced hypertension, a dangerous condition that may occur during pregnancy. There is no known cause for Toxemia. The facts they do know so far include the following. Toxemia starts to develop as your placenta begins to develop, although it may not be detected until the later part of your pregnancy. Most cases of Toxemia happen with first pregnancies. Second and subsequent pregnancies are at lower risk, unless the woman is with a new partner. Since they don't know what causes it, there is no way to tell if a woman is at risk before she gets pregnant.

It is very important to make sure you see your doctor regularly during your pregnancy so he or she can detect any signs of Toxemia. They check your blood pressure for this reason. As it starts to rise, this is the first evidence of Toxemia. Other symptoms include bloating of the hands, feet and face due to your body retaining fluids. Your urine is checked for protein levels at each visit. If the protein level in your urine rises, it is another sign of Toxemia.

Some of the health problems associated with Toxemia can be very dangerous to the mother and the child. Besides, high blood pressure there are other things that can go wrong with your health. Toxemia can create liver and kidney damage or failure. It can cause problems with your eyesight. If left untreated for too long, it can cause the patient to go into convulsions. These convulsions can lead to coma and even death.

This is because your blood pressure just keeps rising higher and higher. Such high blood pressure can also cause a stroke. Any of these health problems can affect the baby as well. If a mother is in danger, her baby will be in danger also.

Toxemia is not something to mess around with. It is very important to follow your doctor's orders strictly
I hope this answers your question. I wouldn't worry as long as you are seeing your doctor regularly they will know if you have it or not. I hope all is well. Congratulations on your Pregnancy and God Bless