I am eight weeks pregnant and during this time, I have heard for so many different dangerous situations that could happen to me. I am a little bit confused, because I do not know what to believe and what to forget. For example, yesterday my friend told me her cousin had pregnancy toxemia. I would like you to tell me what toxemia mean, should I be worried. Could this happen to each pregnant woman, and what actually happens during toxemia?

Every year thousands of women suffer from pregnancy induced hypertension, or increased blood pressure. I do not want to confuse you, but hypertension has two names, Toxemia and Preeclampsia. It is estimated that seven out of every 100 pregnant women will develop Toxemia. Mild Toxemia usually causes very little problems, same for the mother or child. However, when Toxemia becomes severe it can cause many health problems, and there is no known cause for Toxemia. This starts to develop as your placenta begins to develop, although it may not be detected until the later part of pregnancy. Most cases of Toxemia happen with first pregnancies, until second and subsequent pregnancies are at lower risk. Interesting is that she is safe during second pregnancy only if she had a baby with the same partner. All you can do it to make sure you see your doctor regularly during your pregnancy. This is important because he or she can detect any signs of Toxemia, which is why they check your blood pressure.