Hi all! This is my first pregnancy and I know that I may misinterpret many things happening to me, but still I just want to make sure that everything goes “by the book”. Lately I gained some weight and I’ve noticed moderate hand swelling. I know that I’m eating much more now than I used to, but al this seems too much to be normal. I’ve asked around and someone told me that those are Preeclampsia symptoms. Is it possible that I really have it??? Is there anybody here with some experience?? What should I do?? Please help!!

Dear, preeclampsia, also called toxemia or pregnancy-induced hypertension, is actually a high blood pressure during pregnancy. It is very rare and affects only affects about 5 percent of first-time mothers. Teenagers and women over age 35 are at highest risk. Symptoms you’ve mentioned are indeed ones for preeclampsia but they alone are not enough to be sure weather you have it or not. The most important symptom, that, by the way, you did not mention, is blood pressure – if it is normal, than you’ve got nothing to worry about. If it is high, than there is a chance you have it. So, your first step is to determine your blood pressure – if it is high than pay a visit to your doctor for more detailed examination. Best of luck.

Go see your doctor. They can determine wheather or not you are having symptoms of pre eclampsia.