I am a 35 year old men. One week ago, after lifting weight I felt severe pain in my lower back. I thought that it will go away but the pain was persistant. I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with spondylolisthesis. He told me the basics abouth my condition but I would like to know more informations. How does this occur? Thanks

Spondylolisthesis occurs when one vertebra slips forward in relation to an adjacent vertebra, usually in the lumbar spine. The symptoms of spondylolisthesis include pain in the low back, legs, thighs, muscle spasms, weakness, etc. In advanced cases, the patient may appear swayback with a protruding abdomen. Spondylolisthesis can be congenital (present at birth) or develop during childhood or later in life. The disorder may result from the physical stresses to the spine from carrying heavy things, trauma, weightlifting, football, gymnastics etc. If the spondylolisthesis is non-progressive, treatment except observation is not required. A physician may prescribe a custom-made corset or brace that are made by an orthotist. Surgical intervention is considered when neurologic involvement exists or other conservative treatment has failed to provide relief from long-term back pain and other symptoms of spondylosthesis. Avoid heavy lifting, stooping, football or high impact exercise. Keep your weight close to ideal and continue to follow the exercise program designed by your physical therapist at home.