I had a operation on Feb.6,2008 to have 2 kidney stones removed. They went in and got rid of them and then put a stent in from around the kidney to the bladder.I don't know what the stent is or what it looks like or why they put it in.Since then I have had bleeding in the urine plus alot of serve pain in the right side that brought tears to my eyes.There was no burning intill today and I am going to see the doctor on the Feb.21. Can you explain what to expect and what does a stent look like and will they freeze the area first before they pull it out.What will I have to do after it is out will there be any kind of precautions or anything that I will not beable to do? Can you please help me so I know what to expect?

You have my sympathy; my stent was so painful I just lay on the bed in agony for two months. It felt like a knife being twisted. I also had the most awful urinary frequency with it & the blood you describe.

A stent is a thin plastic tube in the ureter from the kidney to the bladder, to allow bits of stone to pass & not block the ureter.

Mine was removed under general anaesthetic when my kidney stone was removed, so perhaps some one else can answer your question about removal. I think they're pulled out quite quickly. You could certainly demand effective pain relief!

You could ask your GP for pain killers whilst you have the stent; mine gave me pethidine.

hugs

Hi Eccles

My Mum has had a stent in since the 11th Jan this year, she's in an awful lot of pain, to the point where walking, standing and sitting are causing major pain. We've been to the hospital, GP etc a the strongest they have prescribed is Co-codamol which hardly touches the pain at all. Did Pethedine work for you?

She goes for the second round of lithotripsy next week so hopefully she may get it taken out if the stones are broken enough but needs some pain relief that works before then.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I hope her lithotripsy will help. The Pethidine did nothing for me, but I have fibromyalgia & most painkillers don't work for me. Co-codamol isn't a very strrong painkiller & I'm surprised that's all she's got - those stents are hell.

What did help was alternating between Tramadol & Darvocet (Co-proxamol) so that 24 hours a day were covered.

Thanks for that Eccles. I've taken a note for her so she can bring it up with the doctors for next time.

I can't believe how painful these stents are - she is desperate to get rid so we are just hoping the nest dose of lithotripsy will help.
It feels like the doctor just doesn't understand the pain she in, and therefore will not prescibe anything stronger.

To have some names of the drugs that could help is really useful so thank you, as we have just had to go by the advice of the doctor so far.

I hope you are all recovered now and feeling much better and again, thanks for your help.

I have a 12mm kidney stone in my ureter which is going to be laser/removed tomorrow. 7 weeks ago i had a stent inserted to dilate the ureter as the ureter is 2mm thick and this huge monster is 12mm big. The only way i have been able to cope with the burning/feeling to urinate all the time is by being taking tramadol. This is the best painkiller and i swear by it. Not looking forward to having another stent inserted though after removal of stone. Hopefully it wont be in for too long. Tramadol it is then........