My father is going to have some tests in a few days as doctors suspend he may have stones in his kidneys. I would like to know what symptoms do kidney stones cause and what the recovery options are! Thank you in advance!

Hello! You should know that in some people kidney stones don’t move and therefore cause no or small symptoms. However, if a a kidney stone causes a blockage, or moves down the ureter, it may cause some symptoms like pain or aching in the back on one or both sides, spasms of intense pain, bloody, cloudy or smelly urine, nausea and vomiting, a frequent urge to urinate, a burning sensation during urination and even fever and chills. Stones that do not move can be treated without surgery. However, if there is infection, blockage, or a risk of kidney damage, a stone should always be removed. There are several procedures in which stone can be removed. These are: Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), Ureteroscopic stone removal, Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL), and parathyroid surgery. I hope everything turns out well for your father!