I'm a 25 year old male, and I have a ureter stent in me. It doesn't really hurt, and I can't really tell that it's even there. My question is, will it hurt to have it removed? They say that I will get a numbing agent, but with all things considered, I'm still extremely nervous. I've already been through 2 surgeries for my kidney stone....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

poppster. %-)

On 14th feb 2008, i had laser to stone and stent inserted under general anaesthetic,stent is to be removed in 4 weeks and i've been told i will have general anaesthetic for this too.

I had it removed under local anestia, and it wasn't all that bad.

It did hurt for a littlte bit, but it was over failry quickly.

I am a 47 year old male. I had the stone attack on Feb 10th and the stent was put in on feb 26th (general anestia.) Then the lithotripsy on the 11th of March (general anestia). Then this morning March 19th they removed the stent while I was awake and had the numbing agent (Local anestia) I felt it. It was a little uncomfortable but the most pain was for only a few seconds. The pain was maybe as intense as having a tooth drilled or extracted. Your first pee will sting and then a little less sting with each time you go. They gave me a medicine to help with the sting, phenazopyridine. It makes you pee orange. I would say having the stent taken out was worth the little pain. "It was a weird feeling, more discomforting ,really." The stent being in was more uncomfortable. I think I was a bit embarrased. If I could get through it you could too. Hint: Try and relax as they get it because tensing up maakes the process harder for the doctor.

Went in for UPJ surgery a couple of months ago. Had robotic assisted lap surgery.

Had a stent put in and just had it removed yesterday morning.

Here are the facts: it hurt like hell. The daggone scope he inserted to get it with was the most painful thing I've ever been through, and I'm no sissy.

If I ever have to do something like this again I will demand on the front end that he agree to some kind of anesthetic when it comes out. Otherwise I'll find another doctor.

And there's little comfort in someone saying it'll only last a minute or two. What the heck does that matter if you're dying for those two minutes.

I had the stent removed 2 hours ago at the urologist's office. Had lithotripsy for kidney stone last week. Had the worst pain of my 50+ years with the initial kidney stone 2 weeks ago. If that was 10/10, getting the stent removed was 9/10 - but it was brief. They squirted anesthetic into my urethra that numbed the first inch or two, but then I felt "some discomfort" (= burning & severe pain) as he inserted the cystoscope (prob 1/4" diameter soft tube). Then he fiddled around for maybe 30-60 seconds (moderate "discomfort"), then her pulled the stent out - YEOW!!!(= burning & more severe pain). Fun wow. He said some stuff to me during & after - who knows what, I was seeing stars. I'm home now with what feels like stomach cramps. It burns & bleeds a bit when I pee now, but the pyridine (a pill) helps. BTW, the pyridine stains everything orange, so wear crappy underwear or steal your wife's panty liners while your taking it (Like you had any sense of machismo left!).

Obviously not everyone has this bad pain, but I wouldn't plan on much for the rest of the day. He had offered to sedate me, but I needed to be able to drive myself home. My suggestion - get a ride, take the sedation & make sure you have pain killers & pyridine in hand on your way out the door.

Good luck.

I just had my ureter stent (28" inches) removed 10 days after a laser lithotripsy. The sensation you get is "I gotta pee".. for about 5 seconds.. then it was over. No pain whatsoever. I am thankful I don't feel like I have to pee every 15 mins.. woohoo! XD

I don't know how you people say it didn't hurt a bit! I just got a stent in my left ureter friday and woke up from the gen anesthetic in the absolute worst pain I have ever been through in my life. After TONS of pain meds in recovery and taking strong meds every 4 hrs since, it's Sunday now and I can still hardly walk. Going to the bathroom, I refrain as much as humanly possible. It takes me back to the pain I felt when I had first awoken from the anesthesia. I am supposed to have it in for to weeks and then be put totally under again to have it removed. If things don't start to hurt less pretty soon, I'm probably going to end up in the ER. I'm no wimp, I have been through a lot of pain before and pushed through my limits in academy's and procedures before but NEVER have I EVER felt anything near the pain I felt Friday and am still experiencing today.

I had a Stent in my left Ureter Tube for almost 4 months because cancer choked off my right Ureter Tube and killed my Right Kidney. So they wanted a stent in my left tube to ensure that the cancer could not choke off my one good kidney. I was put to sleep when they inserted it and I didn't feel a thing. Then for almost 4 months that it was in, If I walked or stood for more than 10 minutes, I would start having pains in my groin area and I would feel like I had to pee. The longer I walked or stood, the harder the pains were. My Urologist said it was just Bladder Spasms and gave me a prescriptiion. The pill seemed to help for the first day or two and then nothing. So, I went in to see him again and he still claimed that it was just spasms and prescribed a stronger pill (Ditropan). Same thing it worked for a day or two and then more pains. One day the pains started to be continuous and I couldn't hardly do anything. So, I called the Urologist again and this time he said that it had to come out. They took it out in the Doctors office. They put some numbing gell in using a swap (that didn't feel very good, but not really painful). Then I laid there for about twenty minutes and then they came in and told me to "Hold your breath"! It did hurt some but was over within two minutes. For the next 24 hours, every time I would pee, it would burn, but burned less each time. After the stent was removed, I re-gained a lot of energy and could again do most everything I use to do and I could now walk and stand as needed. IMHO, the pain was NOT Bladder Spasms. I think my body was rejecting the stent or had some other problem. Anyway, I am sure glad to have it out and my cancer has stopped growing, so hopefully my good kidney won't be affected in the future.

Had my stent removed yesterday morning. Urologist had left a string attached to the stent, and the nurse just pulled on the string, pulling out the stent. Plain and simple, I just wish the nurse had warned me. They said it would not be too bad. Nurse pulled on the string, I just about hit the ceiling. Intense burning and pain. Then the second pull to get it all the way out. Then nurse said "That wasnt so bad now" Must admit, pain only lasted a few minutes, and today feel fine. Just be warned if you have a sting to pull!

2 hours to go. Its been in a week. my 2nd trip.

I remember when the doc removed the first one, 6 years ago. I've got the string, he thinks I'm a lawnmower, one hand on my belly, and zOMG,
he just gives it a big tug. Seeing stars is right, but it was a minute of hell.
I've got clammy fingers just thinking about it.

I stopped the heavy pain meds after 3 days, they stopped me. So I took
one today, now I'll have a hot shower and some relaxation breathing. I wish I could have a few tequila shooters but that is not really an option now is it.

G'Luck to y'all.

I'm a 20 year old male and I had my stent removed the other day. The only part that feels really uncomfortable is when the pass over the Prostate and when they take the stent out. Otherwise under local anesthetic it was fine. If the doctor is good like mine the stent came out extremely quick and was very little pain, the only part that actually felt uncomfortable was the prostate. It was actually quite interesting to watch the monitor through the ureteroscope. The night before I was going to have the stent removed, I was paranoid about the pain and what to expect and I got worked up over nothing. It's a quick procedure and it's not as bad as you probably think, it's a weird feeling with maybe one or two seconds of slight pain, don't sweat it, after having kidney stones, urinating them out with the burning sensation, if you can handle the stones then the stent removal is a breeze. Hope this helps.

i had lithrotipsy and am awaiting the dr appointment to have the stent removed. This is my 6th time having this done, unfortunatly this time it is different. In the past I had the Telescopy procedure done then a stent put in. Also, all of my past stents had the strings attached to the end which hung out. This one does not, thats why it worries me. Having the previous stents removed by taking a deep breath as they pulled it out using the strings is painless, just a weird feeling as so many others have described, but with this one I am worried about them having to go inside to get a hold of the stent. Who had endured this and what am I too expect with this particular part??

My husband had a stent put in his right kidney back in April.Because his line was kinked. Well it hurt him like hell. He was supposed to have it in for a month then it was 2 then it was 3. It hurt him like hell everyday it was in there. He called his dr. like once a week he was more pain everyday it was in. So I took him to the er on Tuesday they took the stent out, he felt like a million dollars, until he woke up. Now he feels like it's starting all over again. He is no whimp mind you but he can't take this kind of pain...So My advice to anyone if it hurts stay on your dr, til he takes it out Our bodies do reject foreign objects....

I am a 34 yr old male and had my stent removed today. It had been in for almost a month and the pain in my kidney area was starting to take it's toll. The Dr had to use the flexible cystoscope to get mine and it wasn't that bad. The numbing gel was strange and the only pain I had was from the prostate, on a scale of 1 to 10 it was about a 4. The kidney stone was much worse. The pain was more like the burning sensation I have been feeling for the last 10 days. My doctor let me watch it on the TV and even let me choose to keep the stent afterwards. I chose not to, but did pick it up and look at it. I will not be worried about it if I ever need one again. By the way removing the Foley Catheter was 100 times worse than the whole cysto and stent removal.