Has anyone had their kidney stones surgically removed ? Can you tell me what's involved please? I'm booked in next Thursday for this after lithotripsy has failed because the stone is too big, and am frightened as I've heard the pain is incredible & I don't react properly to painkillers because I have fibromyalgia. They will also remove the kidney to bladder stent that has been causing me a lot of pain for two months.

i had 2 failed lithotripsy's myself. my stone was 11mm and just refused to break up. I underwent the surgery where they go in and laser the stone and then remove the pieces with a "basket". after the surgery they inserted a stent to keep the ureter from swelling. I only had the stent in for 6 days.
The surgery was just fine, i was put to sleep and woke up stone free. the worst part of this whole experiance was the stent. i was miserable for the entire 6 days. I had the stent where they leave the string attached, so it can be pulled out in the doctor's office. I lost sleep last night worrying about how painful it would be etc, and all that for nothing. I just layed there, he grabbed the string and pulled very lightly and it came out pain free. it was a wierd sensation. No pain, just a feeling of something "slipping" out of you. I am a female and imagine it went better for me then most males. I will say that the stent was horrible, i kept have the urge to urinate and the pain was horrible. Stent remove piece of cake.

Thanks dp, that's very kind - I had it surgically removed through my back in the end & the nasty stent removed at the same time.

Two months of that stent was the worst pain I've ever experienced, if there's been a string I'd have pulled it out myself!

Can someone please tell me the cost of the type of surgery???
My father in law is seeking this procedure without insurance.

I just had the procedure done in Maryland and the hospital cost was $6,000, the Dr's bill was $2,000, and other Lab & imaging fees were $500.