I had surgery to have kidney stones removed on Friday 9/24 by cystoscopy and lithoroscopy under general anesthesia. The doctor I had to go to for the surgery is over 3 hours away from where I live. The doctor left a ureteral stent in with strings attached by tape to my inner thigh. So that I do not have to drive back over 3 hours, the doctor told me to pull the stent out myself supposedly yesterday (Tuesday). I tried but I am terrified of feeling horrible pain, more than I already am. Everytime I touch the string gently it hurts burn ect. I do not have an infection or anything because I am on 1000 mg of cipro. I called local ER's and my local nephrologist to see if someone can pull it out for me but they refuse to do so. They say its my doctor that has to do it. I called my doctor's office and the nurse keeps saying its not a big deal to just pull. Easier said than done. Is there an easier way to pull this out? A position an ointment for pain over the counter? Something? I am desperate! I have two special needs kids I need to care for and I feel horrible with this thing in me. Please help. Thanks

I know this was posted a month ago and you have probably already taken the stent out, but I figured I would post anyway just in case. I have had three stents in my ureter, one of which I took out myself (out of pain and frustration). I took a lortab pill beforehand (it hurts a bit, usually but only for a couple of seconds) and I ran a hot bath so I was nice and calm. :-) After persuading myself to do it for about 30 minutes, I finally just gritted my teeth and pulled the string. It was much easier than I anticipated to be, and only took a nano second. The only parts that hurt are the curly-q's on each end. The stent is really only about the diameter of a coffee stirrer, so it's really very small if you think about it. Anyway, it doesn't really HURT to take it out, it's just really uncomfortable for a few seconds. I would still recommend taking some pain medicine about 30 minutes beforehand (if you don't have a prescription pain med, try 3-4 ibuprofen - depending on how much you are used to taking). Good luck to you and anyone who tries this! It's really not that bad!

Things I forgot to add:
1.) I pulled out the stent while lying down in the bathtub
2.) you will be a tad sore for a day or two after the removal, but it is much preferred to actually having the stent in!!

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. I did have my stent removed finally at my local ER after I left it in for almost five days extra......all thanks to my nerves. They gave me some IV Ativan and then it was a breeze from there. lol. I am having my left kidney operated on in a few months and will follow your advice for the next stent. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

I know this post is old, but this helped sooo soooo much with my anxiety level. I too had a stent with the string attached. The problem was, that the first night I came home I had accidentally wiped when ya know, you're supposed just dab.. the doctor on call said that was okay, but to be more careful about it. Well that string was pretty long after that and it would settle down there..close to my butt and there were a couple of times that I would have a bowel movement and clean up and feel a tug but not think anything of it..well I was pulling the stent down further. I started having mild cramping and occasionally would get a sharp sticking pain in my kidney/ureter area. Then in the last couple of days I started having urinary incontinence issues, and I called the doctor and had the okay to remove the stent myself. You are absolutely right!! It is not that bad, the initial tug feels like it's going to be but it slides right out.. I am tender right now but  I'm not hurting! I'd also like to mention to anyone who would happen to read this that I am a wuss when it comes to anticipated pain. So, I prepared myself after reading the original posters post. I took my antibiotic, a pain pill and an anxiety med. I paced for a bout an hour, I won't lie haha.. but then I told myself that not removing it is worse for my health than having it in. So I put one leg up on the sink, made sure I had the string and just pulled. Not hard. It came right out. I'm so much happier and un stressed right now haha. I think I'll make an update later today and let any future readers know how my own personal feeling is..as far as the pain. I know everyone is different when they have it removed..but this may very well help ease some people's fear. I'm so glad I found this post!

If you are told by the doctor that you can remove the stent yourself, do not worry.  Had to do this last night and there was absolutely nothing to it.  Took all of about 5 seconds.  Felt so much better afterwards.

Removing a stent yourself is absolutely no big deal.  I had lithotripsy for kidney stones six times. Only had to have a stent once. 

I freaked out at removing it myself. Friends who are doctors told me it would be very painful. My urologist said it was no big deal but to take some pain medicine and go for it. No ER would do it and it was a weekend of course.  (I'm so glad I didn't bother going to the ER)

It was no big deal at all and I felt so silly that I made a big deal out of it. I wish my dr had told me to suck it up and just do it. He was way too nice and that made me feel like it was a bigger deal than it was.  Perhaps it is more uncomfortable for a man than a woman, but for me I just really thought it was no big deal.

I know they often do it for you at the dr's office but I don't see how it would be any different. I found the stent pretty uncomfortable but I have lots of bladder pain anyway so this just made it worse.

If you have to have a stent, see if you can have  a string to pull it out. Take a pain pill or Advil just in case and do it. I think a warm bath or heating pad afterwards would help too.  I only remember freaking out that it was so long!  I was laughing when I showed it to my mom because it was impossible to believe this was once inside me!

I'm so happy I found this post! I have to remove my stent tonight. I had surgery on my left kidney to have a staghorn stone removed that was the size of my kidney! I had to go back on the 18th for him to remove a few that he wasn't able to get to and he put in the stint for me to remove myself. Which I am very grateful for because now i don't have to worry about paying for an office call to have it removed! So I will take this advise into consideration tonight when I remove and I check back to let others who find this post know how it went and what to expect :)

So, I did what everyone said to do, took an ibuprofen 30 minutes before I removed it, ran a bath, relaxed and pulled it out. It was fine! It didn't really 'hurt' it was just uncomfortable and burned a little bit but other then that, no biggie.  Muuuuuch better then going in and paying all that money to have it removed when I just did it myself, in the privacy of my own bathroom and afterwards I got to enjoy a nice relaxing bath! :) 

I had removed one by myself, this morning. I followed the recomendations that I saw listed on this thread & had no problems at all. It didn't hurt one bit, although it did feel quite strange.

Anyone have the problem of being unable to find strings? I was told to remove my stent today (Saturday) and I can find any strings even when I used a magnified mirror. I'd happily remove this thing. Surely the pain of having it in is worse than the seconds to remove it. Any advice out there?...

Removed my stent this morning after 4 days following doctors order. For me it was a case of mind over matter than anything else. No bath, no pain meds, just commit to the endeavor. As others have said, it feels weird while it's being removed, but way better out of me than in.

i had a stent in place because of a kidney stone, attached was a string for self removal, i was told to take it out the morning after the surgery, it was left in for three extra days thinking i could do it myself... For the three days it was in even touching the string made me have severe panic attacks, so i went to the ER where they removed it because there was no way i could do it myself, previously to getting it removed i had asked a friend who had been through the same procedure, and he told me that it hurt like f**K! then i stumbled upon this site read some comments and thought "hey maybe he was just over exadurating, everyone else seems to things its nothing" no it did not calm my nerves about removing it myself, but i was pretty confident about the removal process and i have to say OUCHHHHH!!!!!! they even gave me a sedative, did nothing at all when the time came to pull... he was 100% right it hurt like nothing before(my son is 5 months old and natural birth was allot easier imo) i dont mean to freak anyone out by any means, but if i had read the truth i think would have felt allot better knowing what to expect. Or perhaps my pain tollerence is at the all time low, this was my experience every one is different :) Best wishes to anyone else going through this!

Glad to see all the positive stories here. I get to pull my stent out on Sunday April 18th so be thinking about me. It is quite miserable being a guy and having this string hanging out your urethral opening. Seems to really make me urinate if it is moved so I am trying to lay on my sides (seems more comfortable than on my back). Just hope my removal goes well.

Hello self stenters. There are variables when doing self removal. It will be painful for some not so much for others. If money is no object, get sedation and have performed in office. If money is tight, self removal is bearable even for the painful cases. I would say comparable to putting a match out on your arm. If you're tough enough to do that, you can self string. Have fun!