I had a laproscopic hysterectomy, and they cut my ureter, and went undiagnosed for 10 days, I was septic and had paratenitis. Has this happed to anyone and were there any lasting complication due to the urine in the body cavity, and repair of the cut ureter? I have had the tubes and stents removed, it has been 2 months and am still having pain when urinating and have back pain (I had a nephrostomy, a tube coming out of the kidney w/a bag) any info will hepl
thanks

I had a complete hysterectomy on 7/2005. I became very ill. I remained under doctor care ro 17 weeks and he never diagnosed what was wrong with me. By the time another doctor did conclude that my ureter had been cut my kidney had quit functioning and had to be removed.

Well I too had a TVH and I went 9 weeks until it was determined my right Ureter is MISSING!!! A Urologist tried to stent it but it isnt there. Tomorrow I go in for a replacement, I may or may not lose my Right Kidney.

Last January I had a complete Hysterectomy. During the surgery my Dr. accidently cauterized my right ureter shut. Since then I have had to have 5 ureteral stints, and am now looking at having and new ureter built from a piece of my bladder. When I had the original procedure done I never expected to be feeling this way a year later. I would have preffered the pain I was in to this.

December 2007 my healthy baby was born by cesarean. After 5 days of flank pain (and taking morphine), and finally extreme pain in abdomen, was given CT scan. Discovered with great shock and horror that the gyn that operated on me had stitched closed my ureter. After those 5 days of being completely blocked my ureter burst open (blow-out), which led to urine leaking into my abdomen. Nephrostomy drain was inserted into my kidney via an incision on my side/back. This stayed in place for 8 weeks while I recovered from caesarean. 2 months after caesarean, I had an operation to cut the ureter away from the blockage and re-implant it to my bladder. It had also been suggested that they might have to construct a part of the ureter with a piece of my bladder depending on how much length of ureter was left to work with. Luckily there was enough length and they didn't need to cut a piece of bladder. Glad to say after all the emotional and psychological grief it caused me at the time and months afterwards, I have completely recovered. I have no problems, and the re-implanting of the ureter was a success.

i had a colostomy and my ureter was cut and went undiagnosed for nearly 3 weeks. i was told i was in kidney failure , there was no colostomy output during these weeksso i had no food since there was a bowel blockage from urine pushing my intestines to one side. I became septic was on so much morpine i knew i was going to die.my wife pushed the issue about no colostomyout put an they finally did an ultra sound and found fluid in my pelvic area and drained out 2.5 liters of a bronze colored fluidthis was done 14 days after surgery they left the tube in my side an it kept draining so my wife again questioned them about where all this fluid was comming from they did a culture an it was urine.a urologist was called in an he tried to stent it but too much time had passed so i now wear a nephrostomy tube out of my left kidney. i am not well an suffer repeated infections. i just want the kidney out i dont think i could make it through several reconstructive surgeries

I too had the same issue in April this year. I am now on my 3rd insertion of bilateral stents. I hope things are better for you now. Did you try for any compensation ?

My nine year old daughter had a laparoscopy operation for intestinal malrotation. A week later we came back to the hospital because of the pain. It was later discovered that there was a laceration in her right ureter. The stent went in, a few months later when it was removed we went back within 48 hours. It had healed but it was now too narrow. A new stent is in place and we are waiting for an operation. The problem is that the stent was cut in the middle of the ureter. She no longer has her appendix so it can not be used for reconstruction. Was anybody successful with the blader?

I had a laproscopic vaginal removal hysterectomy in April and the Doctor happened to knick (cauterize) both ureters. I complained of pain while in the hospital and was told this was referred pain that I was having. One week later I was back in and had a stent placed in my right ureter, three days after that I was back in and having a stent place in my left ureter. Since April I am now on my third pair of stents. I had to have a nephrostomy tube placed last weekend due to scar tissue in the ureter that the urologist could not get past. Thank goodness that was only for the weekend as the stent worked. I now found out today that the best possible solution to fix this will be to have yet another surgical procedure to take the scar tissued area of the ureters out and re-attach the ureter to the bladder. I have read a few posts with similar incidents but I would like to hear from and know how many other women this has happened to or for that matter if any men have had any type of abdominal surgerys and the Doctor somehow knicked their ureters.

Hi - I'm in a similar predicament. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and about 1 week after the surgery, noticed I was leaking "something". I questioned the gynocologist and he said it was only my stitches that were dissolving. After 2 days, the leakage was unbelievable. I didn't even have the urge to urinate because it was coming out on its own 24/7. I called him and he immediately had me meet him at his office to do a "dye" test to make sure I didn't have a hole in my bladder that somehow was leaking into my vagina. He diagnosed me with an infection (because of my high fever and blood test) and said that SOMEHOW the infection caused a fistula on one of my ureters that was causing a leak. I immediately had a procedure done to have a stent put in - the leakage never stopped. I am scheduled now to have a larger stent put in and hope and pray that it works and the leak heals itself. If this doesn't work, in two weeks I'll have the surgery to re-attach the ureter to my bladder.
I never dreamed this would happen - he said I was a perfect candidate for a hysterectomy. He also said the surgery went perfect and in 22 years has never had a patient with this side effect. I just want it over!!! I don't understand how all this happened and am worried they won't be able to fix it or I will have lasting side-effects.

My experience is very similar, but I had an open procedure where the surgeon removed everything. My left ureter was cauterized shut. I had subsequent infections, hospitalizations, a nephrostomy tube which I wore for 6 months, then bladder flap surgery which was sucessful - so far. After the bladder flap surgery, my incision became infected, the muscle tissue would not heal properly and I ended up with a very large incisional hernia, which also required surgical intervention. I still have flank pain that comes and goes. I have been told that because of the bladder flap surgery, I will be more prone to bladder infections, UTI's and kidney infections. And frankly, I haven't really been myself since. I want my life back. I advise eveyone to consult with a lawyer and see if your case meets the standards for a medical malpractice case. These cases are expensive and very difficult to prove up, because it requires that you retain an expert who will testify that your surgeon failed to meet the standard of care given the situation. Failure to warn suits won't fly very easily, so your recourse is the med mal action. The original damages should be compiled with additional costs of additional surgeries, procedures, etc. to make you "whole" again. It's ridiculous that these trained surgeons aren't properly following up with their patients to determine that uretal damage has been done - and those of you who may have to lose a kidney - that's just totally unacceptable. You didn't sign up for that.

Hi Everyone. Since my issues seems to mimic many disorders. I have decided to post my question here as well. I had hip arthroscopic surgery in 2005 for a torn labrum and after returning home that day I had to be rushed into the hospital that same night because I could not urinate. I was dismissed around 4 pm and I was in the emergency room at 12am. I tried everything and finally went in. The nurse that put the tubes in me to relive the urine went through a couple before being helped by a nurse that new better. Since then I have small issues with urinating like leaking and nonstop urinating after drinking coffee or lots of water. I am also in the middle of waiting for a procedure to get rid of polyps and is wondering if that is what is causing my pain as well as numerous others including low back pain that has now spreaded to my upper back, scapula and shoulders. I feel as if though I have been pulled to the right as well. I also have felt a mass in my lower abdomen and this crampy feeling that is between the lower rib and waist. while receiving an internal sonogram that found my .I had this crampy pain when ever she would go to my right side. It felt like when I am on my period. I also have mysterious low back pain that just seems to get worse when ovulating. The nuerosurgeon that I visited said that he does not think my back, leg and hip pain are from my disc issues. I am totally at loss and just would like to have a diagnosis so I can get rid of this. Anyone else with this please post. Thanks Slogan

Hey I Had An Abdominal Hysterectomy also. I was told that i had a non complicated surgery, I was released from the hospital and about three weeks later i was feeling like i wasn't recovering! I told my doc and he told me to go home that it was normal for me to feel this pain because i had a really large surgery. I had so much pain in my abdomen that it was unbearable i would scream from the pain, it was a pain that is unexplainable!!! I was hospitalized finally and about two weeks later they found out that i had a large space in my ureter! OMG!!! How did this happen? I saw a urologist and she placed a stent in my ureter. I had 2 Nephroscopy tubes one coming out of my back from my bladder and another from my lower back where there had been a collection from the urine that had escaped into my body! It was so hard @ 30 years old walking around with 2 foley catheters :$ ... little by little things started getting better though! they removed the foley bags and i had the stent in and it worked. I was told that i needed a surgery to repair the ureter though. i had a cysto and they discovered that my ureter had repaired itself Thanks To God!!! The only thing is that with the stent my ureter healed a lil narrow so my doc placed a bigger stent in and in a couple of years on maybe months i should be able to take the stent out without any complications! There is light at the end of the tunnel! Jus pray and have faith it should all work out for the best! Good Luck! :-D

I had the exact thing happen. My ureter was either cut or catarized during my hysterectomy and after several warning signs that the Drs kept pushing off on other excuses all hell broke loose and I was gushing water from my vagina like a water faucet. I had adominal pain for 10 days all blamed on the gas. Low grade fever, not improving, like I should have after surgery, pain the night of surgery and a blood clot in my hat at the hospital the day after the hysterectomy. Two days of diahhrea and vomiting (oh, i must have caught some bug they say) After diagnosing the problem 10 days later, The wrong urologist kept putting in stents and both times the stents came out and perferated the vaginal wall. I went an found a second opinion at a bigger hospital and city and I had to have the stent removed by the new urologist so that the ureter could heal. After 2 weeks the ureter had healed shut and I had no more leaking. Just thru the neuphrostomy bag. It was nice not to wear depends anymore and have anymore leaking. Then about 4 months later he was able to go in and repair the damage by replanting the ureter in the bladder. I just now have a stent left after surgery for 6 weeks. I have that out in 2 weeks. So far so good. I had a neuphrostomy tube in for 3 1/2 months. No, this isn't fun and no we didn't ask for this and it's awful to get thru. But you finally do. I just don't understand how this keeps happening to people and we never really hear about the danger before we have the hysterectomy.

I am right in the middle of this mess with the same type of problem. I am still not doing well, though and feel so sick most of the time. I spent a week in the hospital after they had discovered what they did with the ureter. It was supposed to just be an outpatient thing, but I woke up with a NG tube, drains, 13" incision, etc. and don't even know why. I just want to know that I will feel okay again. Also, wondering if anyone out there ever sought some type of compensation from the doctor. I don't want to sue him, but I don't know what to do. This is significantly altering my life. I am scared.