In the past 2 weeks I noticed a strong pulse on my abdomen, I also noticed that it is localized to the left side of my belly button (only notice this when laying on my back). I only notice this heavy pulse (it matches my heartbeat) when I press into my stomach - when I do that, I can see my entire hand pulsing up and down from the heartbeat. It is very strong and today I noticed a small bulge on that side too (about 1 inch or so). I have a doctor appt scheduled for next week but am sick with worry about this today. Also, could this be pregnancy related? either way, I am filled with dread about the entire dilemma. Does anyone have similar problems or any advice to offer? Other symptoms I have: cramping (could be birthcontrol pill related), slight back pain, a full-sensation in my stomach, no appetite.

I have the EXACT same symptoms. Were you diagnosed by your doctor?
Any useful informations? Hopefully it's not an AAA.

I too have been waking up some mornings with a stomach bulge the size of a golf ball, right in the middle, about three inches below the bottom of the sternum. This is an intermittent event that I haven't noticed for a while now. It had a very strong pulse this morning and felt tumor-like. I put my hand on it, and it is freaky, this bulge there pulsing, and firm/full feeling to my stomach. I wonder if the aorta runs right there on top? I have the lower back pain as well. I am not upset about all of this however, as I have come to terms with my mortality... I am more afraid to go to the docs, because I don't want them to hurry me along (afraid they may do something to kill me quicker). But perhaps I should go see if I need an xray or something... I have insurance but not so much faith in Kaiser docs. Are they okay? Good luck at your appt. Don't be afraid, we are all in temporary vessels here. You will probably live to be old. And I am a bit psychic, so there you go.
--Carol
There is no way to Peace, Peace is the way (AJ Mueste).

What did you find out? I have these symptoms as well.

During a physical examination, routine palpation of the abdominal aorta is often performed. By pressing firmly into the abdomen just above the belly button, you probably will be able to feel your abdominal aorta's pulse. In some cases you can also see a flutter in that area, especially if you're thin. These are normal findings. It's impossible to tell if this is a benign or serious condition without doing a physical exam. If you are concerned about this, you should see your PCP - palpation/ultrasound should give you an answer concerning aneurism of the abdominal aorta.

I have the same thing as you.
I am also on the pill.
And my bf used a condom I wanna know if I am pregnant or its something else...

Ladysophine
I've had the same thing for the last couple months. It's a "pulsating mass" that can be felt when I lay flat on my back and press on my stomach. It's about an inch under my left rib cage.
I went to the doctor who sent me in for blood tests and a catscan (as I know that it's not a pregnancy) I will be getting results tomorrow and hope that it's nothing... I will try to write in and let all know what it is.

I have been having the same symptoms for around 3 years immediately following my pregnancy and emergency c-section. I am very scared about seeing a doctor.
Did anyone get a diagnosis from their doctor?

Specific symptoms: squishy mass with a pulse to the left of my stomache (just under my rib cage).

What is freaky is that a few times I did sit ups or other abdominal exercise where I've had to stretch my mid-section as part of the exercise. Then upon contracting it feels that this mass has been punctured, then it does violent pulsations while I feel like I can't breathe (and am about to die). Then I start to breathe deeply and the mass pulses for a couple minutes, then less violently for another 5 minutes or so, then soreness that lasts anywhere from a few hours to a couple days. Very scary.

I have had this symptoms for a few months now and I have observed that it always occurs a few days before my period. I have gone to the doctors for a scan but they didn't see anything. I am a bit disheartened by that diagnosis because I tend to feel this buldge especially when I lie on my back! I have resorted to lying on my side at all times cause it is quite upseting to feel the bulge!!!

I also have the same thing. The doc sent me for an ultrasound and it showed that nothing is wrong...I am awaiting a copy of the findings.

Hey all,

I'm a student doctor, read what you guys said, and thought I'd post a reply.

It's a regular and routine part of the GI examination to press down firmly on the abdomen in that area to feel the aortic pulse. It's normal to find it. If someone is very obese you may fail. Occasionally it can be challenging. But it's a normal finding.

That said, the reason we do this is to check for abdominal aortic aneurysms. However it takes skill and experience to be able to tell 'normal' from 'abnormal' so if in doubt head to your GP. Remember that it may well be a normal finding so there's no reason to panic about it. The GP will probably examine you and may request a Doppler scan.

Anyway I guess the jist of it is - don't panic, if you all go searching for a pulse many of you are likely to find one. If concerned see your doctor.

Oh and in response to the question about where the aorta is it's actually at the back, but as previously said it's pulsation can be felt exactly as described on here. (Lying on your back pressing down slightly to either side of your umbilicus and slightly inwards.

i am very interested in hearing what any of your doc have told you my mother has been having the same symptoms for the past year she is sick of going to the doc and getting no answers she has had x rays ct scans everything you can imagen and nothing is ever found i fear that it could be something serious and that the doc just havent found anything yet it is really hard when you go to the doc and they dont what you have or can even help you with the pain please if any of you get told what it could be let me know

I just went to the emergency room last night because i was feeling faint and had a strong pulse right above my navel to the left. Ive also been experiencing major cramps for the last two months that feel like contractions somtimes and alot of pain in my lower back. Ive also been having alot of twitching in my stomach. The doctor said I was too young to have AAA and it is very common to feel a pulse in thin people. He said it was not AAA. I had an ultra sound done and they put a camera up my vagina and found that i not only had a cyst on one of my overies but a large mass in my uterus. So now i have to go get a biopsie next week..... maybe you should go have the same ultra sounds as i did...... :'(

I am so happy I found this site...I am terrified something is really wrong with me...Whenever I lay on my back I can feel this huge bulge sometimes its beneath my left rib cage and sometimes its right in the center, about 2 inches down from my diaphram area...Its like this hard golf ball sized bump, or buldge..When its beneath my left rib cage it almost feels like a long sausage shape..Its really scaring me and because I have very very bad anxiety I am terrified to go to the doctor afraid of what they will tell me.I thought I might add that I am thin, I only weigh about 106 lbs...I also take meds for acid reflux..any help would be great...Thanx

In Dec 2009 I hurt my back 3 protruding discs L3-4 L4-5 S1...also foraminal something or other which is known as herniated disc...I been fired from my job they say im lying. However, during the time of seeing the work Dr.'s I have had two epidurals no relief and medication does nothing. I can move and do things however I suffer the consequences. Well Ive been fired cause Dr says Im fine and H R says im lying. ICA dr did say he had female friend with similar symptoms and died from AAA. So then I was released to full duty. Needless to say Im very upset. Anyway I saw my PCP she listened to my stomach and said she heard nothing, I have no pain or any bowel problems no buldges or anything. I will have ultrasound or sonogram this coming week to rule out. Today I decided to take a hot bath and try to relax back really hurting going down to butt and leg. So during my bath I noticed my stomach pulsating. I stop breathing and my stomach moves up and down I start breathign and samething. NO PAIN in stomach. Then 20 minutes after bath Im laying down cause my back is really hurting. Same pain from when I first injured myself in DEC 09. I had bowel movement and with that I had SHARP pain from my back down my butt and down my leg all on my left side. What do you think? :'(