Hello, I'm a 24 year old female. I moved home on the 14th november and in the evening I noticed that my right arm had swollen up from my wrist to my shoulder almost instantaneously. I had thought it may be an allergy (although I do not have any allergies that I know of) or a bite. The swelling reduced and was left with an aching pain in my right shoulder which dissapated after a couple of days. I did not think anything of it until yesterday. I came home and did some light exercises with some very light weights (dumbells), stretches etc. I noticed that my shoulder was aching and my arm feeling heavy, I looked down at my right arm and it was swollen from my wrist to shoulder, feeling very heavy and under pressure. I drank some water and went to the walk-in medical centre who advised me to see my gp and take pain killers. The doctor in the walkin centre moved my arm about. Although the whole arm was tender to touch the shoulder and back of shoulder (blade) was very painful, burning muscle pain and this went in an arch up to the bottom of my neck. when the gp put pressure on my wrist it triggered more pain in my shoulder. Once home I elevated my arm. My arm swelled up again before I went to sleep.
I have signed up to a new gp today and had an appointment. He moved my arm about and advised me to come back in one week. I am slightly concerned as my arm is still swollen, when I turn my arm over my forearm is swollen when compared to my left arm and my upper arm is very tender and feels very under pressure, my uppper arm has a lot of muscle pain.
Does anyone have any ideas of what this can be? My new gp advised me to take ibruprofen but I have IBS and this may trigger it, although to be honest I have just taken some ibruprofen as right now I'll do anything to alleviate the aching. I'm sure you can imagine this is of concern to me.
I'd appreciate your advice.
Thank you very much.

The localized edema may have been caused by structural defects (either inherent or due to previous injury) in the veins of your right arm, or a blood clot may get trapped in the abnormal vein of your right arm to result in venous insufficiency. I suggest taking an aspirin pill or two to see if it helps with the swelling. Aspirin is an anticoagulant that will help dissolve blood clots. Unilateral edema due to adverse reaction to a medication is rare but not unheard of. Diabetes Care (2003) reported a case in which a patient experienced unilateral edema of the right leg in response to thiazolidinedione. His left leg was completely normal. The edema subsided upon withdrawal of the medication, and returned upon rechallenge with the medication. So you may want to go over the list of your prescription and otc medications that you have been taking, and eliminate them one at a time to see if any of them may be at fault.

The swelling has now gone down but the arm is still tender and the upper arm including shoulder is still quite sore. Unfortunately now due to over-using my left arm my left elbow is now worn out but I'm sure that's just temporary and nothing to worry about. No, my main concern is still the right arm and shoulder. I don't really take any medication at present so I don't think that will be a cause.
Thank you for your advice though I have found it very useful.

If anyone else has any other suggestions about what it could be and what I can do please feel free to offer your advice as it will be much appreciated.

my advice to do doppler ultrasound for the right upper limb