i think i have might have done sort of damage somehow to my arms. i was outdoors friday trying to put a 14x3 1/2 pool up for my kids, and i was also lifting about 9 - 70lbs. bags of sand plus doing some yard work. at first it was okay ..till sat, when i woke up at 4 am due to my arm swelling, burning,numbness in my hands and i couldnt go back to sleep. i tried moving my arm around and everything, and still it wouldnt go 100% away. i finally feel asleep about 5a and woke back up at 6:15 because it started again. its very pianful. and during the morning now sometimes well quit a bit , my finger get numb and i start to have the burning feeling, as i am writing this. it has been going on since sat. at 4a and now as of tues. and every night i wake up with the same symptoms. can you plese tell me what is going on. i have never had this kind of pain before and its really hard, i am 31 and i have 5 kids, and with this sort of problem what in the world would i do. can you plese help me so that if i have to see someone that i will know what to tell them and what they need to look for....

My husband is experiencing the exact same problem. He has hardley slept in 4 nights. The pain is not only when sleeping, but also when he moves his wrist a certain way and even feels it in his underarm. I think it's a pinched nerve.

He is going to a chiropractor tomorrow.

I WAKE a few times at night,my fingers get hard and they are on fire with pain,it wakes me up crying from a sound sleep,i have to put my hands straight down over the bed for it to go away.Wish someone knew what this was Guest wrote:

hyatts786 wrote:

He is going to a chiropractor tomorrow.

I would like to know the reason or reasons for my problem. I have been waking up many time during the nights for months now, due to my left hand falling asleep while sleeping. It is getting worse. My fingers on left hand go numb, turn a shade of white and appear to have light swelling. I also experience a sharp pain in wrist area, just as you do when your hand falls asleep. I have to get up and move fingers, squeeze my pillow just to get feeling back so I can go to sleep. It is only in my left hand and only occirs when I am sleeping. I am a 29 year old women. Please help me figure out a cause and maybe a way to prevent this. I have insurance but would like to avoid going to doctor for something so petty and my boyfriend would like it so I won't be cranky with him from lack of sleep!

Thank you!

You probably have a disc problem in your neck. Those nerves root there and travel down your arm. Get a MRI and see a Neuroloigts or even a Pain Management Dr. They can help you, you may need a Epidural Steroid Injection in which a steroid in placed in the epidural space to reduce the inflamation and swelling there. I have had a few it is no big deal and a much better alternative than surgery. Hope that helps.

[I believe I have something very similar to the afore mentioned problems. For the past three nights I have awakened with burning pain in my left hand and arm with some associative numbness. I cannot go back to sleep until I get out of bed and stand/walk for a little while. If I do this the pain and numbness goes slowly away. The first night it occurred I feel certain there was some swelling in my hand and arm. Once I go to sleep I am able to sleep for approx. 1 to 2 hours before this occurs again and I must repeat the standing and walking routine.
Does any one have any idea what is causing this? It has me a little concerned and more than a little aggrivated with the lost/interrupted sleep.

Thank you.

the people with burning hands, it is very common, carpal tunnel

Check for Peripheral Neuropathy, as well as Carpel Tunnel. Both are rather similar. I have Peripheral Neuropathy, and it causes swelling, tingling, pain, numbness, inability to stop it unless I hang my arms over the bed, stand up, lay in a seated position, anything to keep up blood flow. A way I find to help, if you don't mind sleeping on you back (which I hate doing when I can't turn to my side but it's worth it if it stops the pain), is to prop up six or so pillows kinda like sitting in a reclining chair with the legs out, so you're sitting up more in bed. The helps keep the arms elevated to increase blood flow, which helps reduce the pain caused when you lay flat. you can lay on your side in this way so long as you can let your arms flop over the side of the bed (which usually only works for on side-in my case my right, unless you have a small enough bed to be able to sleep on both your left and your right, and be able to dangle your arms over the sides. Good luck to all of you, I know sitting up while sleeping really helps me.

i am only 21 years old and i get this same feeling, i will awake from a dead sleep to my hand, on fire sensation and all numb. last night i had to run it under water for it to try and help it got so cold and went away i also read some people try and take vitamin B-6 but i am not for sure how it works but i may be trying this and i surely hope its not carpel tunnel.

I had severe burning in my right hand for 3 years, nightly. I was diagnosed,wrongly,with nerve damage from a serious car accident.The burning was like a blowtorch being held under my hand,I almost went insane from lack of sleep.Then I found "THE TRIGGER POINT THERAPY WORKBOOK",second edition, by Claire Davies. After following the instructions for only 2 days, my hand got better. Then I found (I'm not kidding),about 60 trigger points, which are muscles that are literally tied in knots from the kind of work I did for my entire working life, and for everyone else, it is caused just from the way you work and move and even sleep.This book saved my life, I was becoming suicidal.I also bought a thing called "The Knobble", to not only work out the trigger points, but to find them.The places it shows in the book where the knots are, are a lot of times just near where your personal problem areas are.In my case,the trigger points are right on the shoulder blade,for example,instead of the soft tissue where it shows in the book.The book still gives you the basic place where you will find the muscle knot causing all kinds of pain.I have them in every part of the muscle web in my entire body,including my hands and feet.The interesting thing is that the pain is rarely coming from the closest knot.When I garden,I still, and will likely always have to work out the trigger points.Once I found a few,I was amazed that I hadn't noticed these before.The "rubbing out"of the knots is painful,but less & less as you work them out,and a lot better than the alternative.Every doctor and chiropractor should have this book.The pharmaceutical giants don't want this form of relief to be available to us,as they rule the government and most doctors.Good luck,I sincerely hope you order this book,I got mine through Amazon. Marian Bostwick Retired 21 dealer & waitress, now obsessive gardener

I can't believe there are others who describe my pain EXACTLY! Everyone around me just basically says oh, wow, that's awful...here, take these (insert pill name). I had a cervical radiculopathy surgery over 10 years ago, and that was a big success. Now tho, and for about 2 years and getting worse is the blow torch lava melting lead fire pain that wakes me suddenly, and the cold watere ice treatment was almost instinctual, and I add super hot water to this! So freeze my hands up past my wrists, then when I can't stand the freeze, plunge under the hot running tap, also over my entire hands wrists...while tears and anger from it not stopping (the pain, and why AT NIGHT, always at NIGHT). I can't afford a doctor. Especially when you have to see a doctor to get referred to a doctor to get an appt for an xray to show to a doctor at a future appointment so he can say, oh you have a pinched nerve, radiculopathy, sciatica, scoliosa what what what...I just suffer I guess, as it gets worse and worse by the day...

Wow same here! I'm a 28 year old female and for months now everytime I fall asleep my left arm goes numb and I wake up in such pain.. Last night it was my whole left side of my body. My boyfriend says I'm just sleeping on it wrong and if I go to the doctor I feel he'll say the same thing. I can deal with it but I'm very worried about it being something serious. I see this thread was started a while ago and am wondering if anyone found solutions yet?

This is the first time I have seen a board with people suffering from the same symptoms as I. I have looked for the past year, and boom, today I must of put in the right search terms.
So what is happening, I believe, is over use that causes inflammation, impeding blood flow and causing the arm's and hands to swell at night. I know the work I do is the cause.
I have had good results with prednisone, you do not want to take this often. But I believe that the fellow who has indicated that Trigger Point therapy is on the money. Sometimes, due to my work, the areas that need the most help are the ones I can not reach on my own. So finding a massage therapist, or a willing partner to work out the trigger points to reduce the pain and swelling is the best you can hope for.
I already knew this, I am a massage therapist, still I wanted to know that there were others out there suffering with me..
My doctor thinks I have an inflammation autoimmune type disease, and has tested me for everything. But I know, deep down, that it is overuse.
Hate to admit it.. However, I think that I have gotten to a point where I have learned what triggers the symptoms and have learned to treat before I am in the midst of pain, in the middle of the night. No one wants to get up and help you then, RIGHT?
Ice is excellent, and the heat after is great too. Ice first!
And the other contributor who spoke of sleeping as if you were in a recliner, that helps. The pain can also originate in the neck. When I have work done on my neck, I am greatly relieved. It has to be done right.
But does anyone, have swollen knuckles? Just the first knuckles near the finger tips? especially when you are in the midst of an episode?
That is still something I wonder about.
If you live in the pacifica/San Francisco area, and need help give me a jingle. I have over 12 years experience, and I wish i could do for me what I could do for you! Finding those knots, and working them out are the only true way to overcome the misery.

Hi, I have been reading all of your posts and I feel your pain literally. I have had this problem on and off for years and most recently it has gone over 4 months. I cant sleep, I wake up with my hands on fire and having to hang them off the bed to just relieve the pain a little. I wake up and my hands are so swollen that I cant close them. It is difficult for me to type this email right now. I am a dedicated bodybuilder and I work on a computer often, I just don't know what to do about the pain and lack of sleep. I recently went to my doctor and he sent me for a Spinal MRI, I am waiting for the results. I have another appointment with a specialist to do an EEG test; I think that test is for carpal tunnel syndrome. I am surprised to see so many with the same symptoms as I, If anyone knows what this is or how to make it better, please share with the group.

Thanks,

I have been dealing with this same problem since 1997. My arms would get so bad I would wake up and have to kick at my bedroom door and yell for someone to let me out. I had to talk to alot of doctors with alot of questions to find out what was going on. What i've found is it is from over use of the arm or repitious movement. causing inflamation of the muscles and restricting blood flow. For me it feels like a tourneqet around the upper arm when it woke me up at night. Some of the worse pain i've ever felt. Things i've found that that helps is, you can sleep flat on your back but you have to keep your hands and arms below your heart. You can not put your hands above your head. Arms start to tingle or hurt while eating or typing? Sit up higher so your hands and arms are lower from your heart or chest. I hope this helps you. What i'm looking for now is ways to help stop it from happening to begin with. Like working the arms past the point of the work your doing doesn't inflame them anymore or working other muscles to help with the inflamed ones. Maybe even a different diet to help the veins with blood flow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.