29 years ago I had deep vein thrombophelebits in my right leg. I have used compression stockings, which has helped tremendously. I have had blood clots after the birth of my 2nd son also. I have learned to deal with this and do what needs to be done, but... within the last year (I am now 50), my good leg (left) from the knee down swells. The Dr. diagnosed it as being lymphedema. I had it wrapped at the hospital with the guaze bandages when 1st diagnosed, but now wear compression stockings on both legs. Sometimes it seems to be under control, then there are times when it flares up, hurts, and swells more than usual. My chiropractor has been working on the lymph nodes in my stomach (above my hips/below my waist) and in the back of my thigh. After a treatment I get a lot of relief. I have noticed that I am fatigued alot more than usual also. I was very anemic, but the numbers have leveled out and this is much better now. My questions are 1) Could the new problem be related to the problems I had earlier in life? 2) My biological mother had elephantitis (sp) - could it be related? 3) Does being overweight become a determining factor? I really am at my wits end with the pain, inflammation, being tired and not able to do all the things I want to do without my leg aching so badly. Any advice?

My questions are 1) Could the new problem be related to the problems I had earlier in life? 2) My biological mother had elephantitis (sp) - could it be related? 3) Does being overweight become a determining factor? I really am at my wits end with the pain, inflammation, being tired and not able to do all the things I want to do without my leg aching so badly. Any advice?

Yes, yes, and yes.  You may have what is known as "Primary Lymphedema', which is lymphedema that you've had since birth and that is hereditary.  Also, the thromophlebitis may have set it in motion.  And also, when you gain weight, it puts additional stress on your lymphatic system, which can help to exacerbate the problem.

If you are having more problems than ever before, it may be time to seek out treatment with a certified lymphedema therapist, for some MLD and a course of CDT.  Google "complete decongestive therapy" for more information on that.  And to find a therapist near you, look at the site for the National Lymphedema Network.  There is a list of therapists there by state.  www.lymphnet.org.

Good luck!

are you open to getting information on how to relieve yourself of these health issues?