History -
Diagnosed with malignant melanoma (on my lower back)earlier this year, had it removed; they then did a wider excision on my back; then a lymph-node biopsy and a lym[ph node removal.

Been 8 weeks since the removal of the lymph nodes, but my lower leg has suddely become very itchy (it is still swollen as well) . is there anything i can do to relieve the swelling and the itchiness?

Thanks

As misery loves company, I was intereste to hear that you have had similar symptoms to mine after lymph node in groin was removed because of a malignant melanoma on back of calf. I have had swelling of ankle and foot ever since (3 months ago) though I was told that swelling was not something to worry about with removal of only one node.....IF you hear of any treatment or remedies, please let me know.
Best of luck to you.
Anne

I've noticed that these are old questions and comments but was curious what the results were in the aftermath of the surgery. I had a mole removed from my knee because of malignant melanoma. I also had a lymph node removed from my groin. I was told that the swelling would deminish in a few weeks. It is now the size of an egg and its is very sensitive and painful to the touch 6 to 8 inches all the way around the area. I've already had my follow up visit and still the doctor didn't seem to be alarmed or concerned. Can you clarify if either of you are still experiencing any symptoms or how long it took before you were back to normal?

i had sentinel lymph nodes removed from my groin as part of a melanoma removed from my calf. 3+ weeks later I still have a golf ball sized lump in the area where the nodes were removed and pain down my thigh. I also have swelling on the same leg. Surgeon drained the area 2 times and it has reswollen each time. Says a couple of weeks to go away on its own. Sorry to hear others are experiencing the same thing. I have not found any solutions except Ibuprofin. It also helps to put a gauze and tight bandage on it so that it doesn't move and hurt while walking.

I had a lymph node dissection of the groin area where only 3 nodes were removed back in 2007. I also had a problem with swelling of a specific area which ended up being a "seroma". I went back about three times to have it drained due to the pressure. It finally burst open and I had to go back for surgery to have it removed. Other than the scars, I'm doing fine now and have had no other signs of melanoma. By the way, mine all started with a mole being revmoved from the back of my right thigh.

Four year survivor. Left big toe amputated from malignant melanoma. Same left groin lymph node removed. I think my biggest pain came from injected dye and radiation to locate node. Still have discomfort down leg. When I exercise its almost unnoticeable. But discomfort returns when I lay around feeling sorry for myself. My suggestion is lots of exercise (which makes lymph system work) and drink lots of water (Mountain Valley Spring from glass bottles, read about the dangers from plastic!) water gets toxins out. Make every day a little better! Dave in AR

Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I had a malignant melanoma back in 2006. They injected dye into the insision to the side of my knee on left leg, to this day (sept,22/10) it has not completely healed, I now have severe patch of inflammation on my right leg which is being tested for a form of Diabetes (Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum) a result of surgical trauma. I have had to have a hernia removed from the groin area where they removed Lymph nodes which was a result of the surgery. Yes, I am alive, but I don't beleive I should be having these side effects 4 years later. I am going to see an endocrinologist, hoping they can help with this. Just wondering how you are doing now? Thanks,
Julie

I had a pink malignant melanoma removed 12 years ago and have have the same melanoma removed 8 times - all on my left leg, so far. I had my left leg treated with a special chemo by a Dr. McKinnon in the Calgary Foothills Cancer Hospital and he is absolutely awesome - it killed approximately 5 or 6 of the melanoma that I had there. The only problem that I am having now is the swelling of my left leg due to the fact I had to have all the lymph nodes removed from that leg. It is annoying, plus, when I sleep, the leg tends to settle down, but in the morning, my face and hands are swollen, but after I have been up for a while, my leg again swells up and my face and hands the swelling goes away. I would like to find out how to stop the swelling, or get it under control and out of my system. Got any suggestions?? Thanks for your honesty and it really helps to know that you are not the only one with this. Again, the doctor in Calgary, Alberta was absolutey marvellous. Good luck to all who have this horrible disease.

I have found that staying as close as possible to a vegan diet seems to control the inflammation. Going to try a detox on my liver, the dye they inject is like poisin to the liver, this was suggested to me by a Chinese Dr. anything is worth a try!! All the best, hope you get better.

I had three lymph nodes removed from my groin in 2003 at age 63 at UC San Francisco at the time of melanoma surgery above my right knee. Since then I've experienced some E.D. and wonder if that is common, or am I just now joining the Viagra generation? I never experienced any swelling in my groin after surgery.

Wish I had read these sooner...1/31 had Melanoma removed behind right knee and lymph it tracked to.  3/4/2011 had 17 lymph nodes removed from my right upper leg and groin on right leg.  All negative and I knew they would be but did the protocal anyway.  Now have no nerves on that side and swelling upper leg. Have been using the shapeups by sketchers and drinking apple cider vinegar and water for swelling. But have good and bad days. Today is swollen and am not going walking.  But sounds like I should anyway from the above as keep moving is the way to go.  Recommend swimming, cider vinegar and water 1tbsp 3 x a day and looking to do Ionic Foot Baths to remove all toxins in the body every 3 days. Thoughts?

Reply to any one experiencing itchyness and swelling on legs after removal of lymph nodes.  i had some removed back in 2006, a year later i developed a very itchy dermatitis patch on the other lower leg, after numerous dermatologist appts. with no solution I went to see a Chinese Dr., He has told me it is the result of the dye which is injected into our bodies when we go thru this, it then affects the LIVER in a terrible way, in order to heal we need to DETOX the LIVER, I am a few weeks into a detox and guess what, its starting to go away after having it for 5 years.  i do feel confident this will completely heall up now.  All this time, its the only thing that made sense. 

Re: Leg swelling after removal of too many lymph nodes.  First, I thought they only remove the lymph nodes that are cancerous.

A friend of mine had over 40 removed from one leg and has to wrap it each night to keep the swelling of her foot and leg.  There is a clinic in Santa Monica, California where this female doctor uses a special compression system (don't know how it works) which pushed the fluids up into the active lymph nodes allowing the leg to regain its original look.  Sometimes it's easier to let the leg swell than have it continually wrapped, which is hard on the skin.

Glad to find this site - yes, misery loves company!  My melanoma mole (above my right knee) and lymph system were removed (all negative) in Dec. 1975.  After surgery, my doctor warned me to be EXTRA careful with my right leg (since it had no lymph system to fight infections) and wear surgical firm support (20-40 wt) pantyhose to control the ankle and lower leg swelling (started with Jobst, then Bauer & Black which went out of business, now Activa).  Google "surgical support stockings" for more info.  After 36 years, I've learned that staying active is crucial to helping my leg.  However, twice my vulnerable leg developed cellulitis:  in 1986 from paint fumes in my office (powerful antibiotics at home) and in 2010 while gardening and a yukka plant pricked my leg (which landed me in the hospital for 4 days of antibiotic drips).  A few times a year, a painful, stinging cramp develops in my scar where the melanoma mole was removed.  I believe it happens after I have driven my car more than usual and used different muscles while accelerating.  It helps to take Bufferin, walk, and drink more water.  At 72, I feel blessed to be able to care for/mow/trim/weed my 6 acres and exercise 2/week, do water aerobics in the summer, sing in my church choir, and romp with my grandchildren and family.   

Yes - glad to find this site and it is good to know I am not unique in having problems after removal of lymph node. 
As it is just 3 weeks since I had a malignant melanoma removed from the calf of my left leg, and the sentinel node in the groin, I can only share my experience to date.
The mole was Stage 11a and thankfully the sentinel node was clear. However, the area in the groin where the node was removed swells up and exudes a yellowish liquid - I believe it is called serum.
I have been advised to stand in the shower, with shower off, and press the swelled area to express the serum. I stand out of the shower, switch on to clean basin and then put on an absorbent dressing. Problem is the groin swells quickly again and the serum exposed to air on the dressing starts to get a bit "whiffy"! I am just a few days back at work and I get self conscious about this. 
While it is a small problem relative to the threat from melanoma, I am surprised that there is not more info and advice on how best to deal with this?