My mother is an older lady (she is about 65 years old) but she still looks at least 10 years younger. But lately she has problems with swelling of feet and ankles. She says that it doesn't hurt her but she barely walks when it is swollen. She has been hair dresser and she was standing a long time while she worked. Also she is little overweight. I suppose that those are, with her age, reasons for this. How can she treat it?

There are few steps that she can undertake. First she should avoid sitting or standing for a long time in one place without moving. While she is lying she should elevate her legs above her heart. She could do some light exercises for the legs to help her blood pump fluid from legs to heart. Also she can buy support stockings. Low salt diet is also good for fluid retention and swelling.