I’m having problems with my veins and I have to wear compression stockings. Since I cycle two to three times a week in order to keep in shape I’m wondering whether to cycle with compression stockings or to avoid it. I’m afraid not to make even bigger problem if I take them off during sports activities. What are your experiences with this problem?

Well, as you know cyclists wear compression shorts in order to keep muscles warm and thus prevent potential sprains and muscle injuries. There are also cycling shorts which have the similar purpose together. I think that there are some special compression stockings for sports and they even stimulate circulation in your legs and thus prevent any vein problems and diseases, including deep vein thrombosis. Maybe you should consult your doctor and wear these instead your medical during training, because I think they might be too tight and your feet can perhaps swell if you train in them. These sports compression stockings have other purposes also, such as temperature control and skin protection.

There are some compression socks made for athletes. The SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock is made by the global leader in the medical compression industry but is designed for athletes.

I think it would help you because the sock had true graduated compression just like the regular medical socks, but this one is made for sports. Hope this helps you!

Take time out from the road. Practice enforced rest and reflection. Life in the saddle is so intense and tactile that you really need regular periods for digesting what you have done and seen....