Hi, my question is this. I've been on antidepressants most of my life, it was "inherited" from my mother who is bipolar. I have major depressive disorder. I've found over the years that Effexor ER works the best, but doesn't quite cover the moods, sadness, etc. I have also been on hydrocodone for 10 years + for severe and debilitating migraines. I was wondering if there is any proof that oxy in conjunction with the antidepressants can help with the major depression? HELPPP!!! I should also say that when I do run out of the hydros early, my symptoms (depressive) seem to worsten and become almost intollerable. Any help out there? Thank you!

I'm not entirely sure if the two work together because I know that one actually is a depressant and the other is an SSRI so I don't think that they would work together in conjunction at all. The only thing that it could potentially help with is anxiety. Have you talked to a doctor about this because I think that would be a good idea? Please keep us posted.

Both are depressants but my guess would be that when you run out of the hydro meds and start to feel worse it is because your body is going through withdraws.
That and the fact that the hydro is probably lifting your mood somewhat because of the narcotics in them.

Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that hydro is an opiate, is that right? But then I thought that Effexor was an SSRI like bluedog posted. Am i wrong about that?

Aren't SSRI's anti-depressents?
I was always understood them to be.
Opiates, or pain medicines, according to my doctor work as a depressent also.
So I guess I don't understand what you are asking healthfitnessguy. Please clarify?

Sorry kariB, I had gotten confused by what you said. You stated that both are depressants but I was under the impression that Effexor was an anti-depressant (SSRI) and that hydro was a depressant. Is that correct, or are they both depressants like you posted?

The only real difference is that Oxy is stronger and a little less controlled in nature, because of the Oxygen molecules that make it bond and travel through the body faster as well as have stronger effects. Hydrocodone, or Vicodin is a more controlled in nature due to the Hydrogen molecules rather than Oxygen which makes it work a bit slower and a little less addictive but not much, you wouldn't see a great difference in addictive nature if you have been on Vicodin for 10+ years, and both are opiates. All medications that have the Oxy prefix @ the beginning are going to be stronger or faster to work, if not both, than the Hydro prefix. hope this helps.

I have been on effexor xr before and to be honest, the withdrawal from effexor is almost as brutal as the withdrawal from an opiate. It hits you with lightening like zaps to the brain, almost like you have with benzo withdrawal.

The opiates will without a doubt produce withdrawal; however, they have always helped my depression. In the earlier centuries they used opiates for everything; from depression to diarrehea. But it's not worth the horrible addiction one can face. I would try an alternative pain medication.