I have heard for disease of thyroid gland, called goiter. I want to know if those people have some special symptom I could notice. I want to know more about goiters, because my friend has this kind of problem, so I want to understand it. Can you tell me some possible causes why goiters occur with some people? Can you also tell me what goiters actually mean, since I just know that is problem with thyroid gland?

A goiter refers to an enlargement of the thyroid. The thyroid becomes large enough so that it can be seen as enlarged on ultrasounds or x- rays. Sometimes, it may be enlarged enough to enlarge the neck area visibly. Some goiters can be tender to the touch, and enlarged thyroid can press on windpipe or your esophagus. This could make person cough, have a hoarse voice, feel shortness of breath, and feel like they do not want to wear turtlenecks or neckties. Goiters can cause feeling of fullness in the neck, experience choking or shortness of breath at night, or feel like food is being stuck in the throat. On most worlds’ areas, iodine deficiency is a key cause of goiter. However, in some areas, goiter is more commonly caused by autoimmune thyroid problems that cause an inflammatory reaction in the thyroid. Doctors will commonly try to treat a smaller goiter with thyroid hormone replacement drugs. This can slow down or stop the growth of the goiter, but it cannot shrink the goiter. If the goiter continues to grow while on thyroid hormone, or symptoms continue, doctor will recommend surgery. Surgery is also recommended for goiters, which are cosmetically unsightly.

Can goiters cause a person to feel slightly numb or feel like they are not connected to reality as well as feeling weak?