Hi, I will have my thyroid gland removed as I have hypertrophy of thyroid gland. What can I expect after surgery? How long does it take to recover, and I know that I will have to take drugs for the rest of my life?

Hi, I have goiter and had surgical removal two years ago. Goiter is diffuse enlargement of the thyroid gland. I suffer thyroid disorders from childhood, but now I began to have trouble breathing and swallowing. Radioactive iodine therapy gave poor results, so there was no other solution but to remove it surgically. You should check up surgeon’s recommendations and competence in this field. In some cases part of gland is removed and sometimes whole gland, but I suppose you will have to take medications from the operation on. In some cases if not completely removed, it may start with growing again and develop a goiter.

hi
my mother is 47 years old . She has cyst & noudle in his throat. doctrks said that is no need to surgical theart & iod is threat .
but after several months she isnnot beter

Hi, I also had a goiter on the left side of my thyroid. I went with surgery because my husband and I been trying to have a baby for over four years now and the doctor had told me it had the quickest recovery time. I was told by the doctor that I was lucky because they only had to take half of my thyroid. The other half of my thyroid will take over eventually and I didn't have to take any medications. I had this done about 6months ago and it has been the worse 6months of my life. After the horrible pain I was in for a week after surgery, I started to experience major headaches. I began to have preasure in my ears with the headaches. I have gained 20 pounds and I get light-headed all the time. I am tierd with no energy to even clean my house. Oh and I have problems with my eyes also, I have to hold my hand over my eyes just to fall asleep at night. Worse of all is my periods have been extremely heavy and my husband and I still have been able to conceive.

i just had a thyroidectomy 7 days ago and it has been the worst 7 days i can remember. i have low calcium levels. i slso have the same symptoms as you describe only much more!

I also had a surgery to remove a nodule as well as the right half of my thyroid. I am experiencing light headaches and pressure in my ear upon swallowing. I have never previously had any blood pressure problems but the low number has been high. My doctor took t3 t4 test yesterday and hopefully they can determin if i need meds. I did not take meds prior to surgery

I had 70% of my thyroid removed on 1/5/07 and I have been very emotional since. I get cold as the day progresses, I am tired by 3 pm in the afternoon and I am EXTREMELY depressed. I am so tired of being depressed. I want to bite everyones head off and want to cry every day. Is this a common side effect of surgery???? :'( :'( :'( :'( ? ?

Hi, I had surgery to take out my left thyroid in 12/2002. I am now starting to have light headaches and getting lightheaded. Last time it was about 3 mo. ago. I do not take meds. My thyroid last time ck'd was normal. Did you have tests done?

Hi

I am 34 and had a 4.2cm lum on the right side of my thyroid. (This was discovered whilst I was pregnant. I stated I wouldn't have surgery until after I had the baby). I had biopsy and ultra sound and then after the baby was born (February 06)another ultrasound. The lump had not gotten any bigger so allowed me to recover from the birth and stated I would have surgery in November 06. Went into hopsital on the Wednesday and surgery at 9.30am on Thursday morning was back in the ward by 11.30 ish with a small plaster on my collar bone. I didn't require a drain was was only given paracetomal for pain relieve which was enough! The plaster was removed on the Friday morning showing a 4inch scar which was glued. I was discharged home by lunchtime. The thought of the expereince was far worse than the procedure itself! I felt very tired afterwards had have done so for weeks. The hospital said this was due to general anestic and also giving birth the same year. I would just like to say that on the whole I found a better experenice than I had imagined and feared for months.

I had my surgery on 9/28/06, fatique, depress and cold seems part of the norm, started on med, which has help, taking a thyroid replacement and anti- depressant. bug your doctor if you arent feeling better soon. But it takes time

I am a 42 female, I have had thyroid problems for 5 years, 2 years ago my doctor found a nodule on my left side that he wanted to watch after many tests. This year the nodule/tumor was the size of a lemon and I had surgery to have my left side and the tumor removed. My neck was sore, and stiff of course, but everyday got better. I use a heating pad at night, and Motrin for swelling. It's now been 5 weeks, and I am getting sore again, and that thick feeling in my throat. I was out in the cold(20 degree weather in NY City) and thought maybe this is making it worse. I am getting my lab work done for the first time this week, as my Endocrinologist wanted to wait up to 6 weeks before doing my labwork.
I had surgery, no tests or anything I have confidence in my Endo and my surgeon as he has done many of these surgeries, but am scared because of these symptoms. I know all of this hormonal stuff is tied together, and I am on my period. Could this be all my hormones going wacko after surgery? Anyone have these symptoms? Feeling better, then feel like they are going backwards?

I just had the left side of my thyroid surgically removed yesterday. The tumor they removed was a little larger than a golf ball. Now I am in a lot of pain on the entire left side of my face and neck, I have an aching deep in my left ear, and I am having weather intollerance swings. One minute I am sweating and the next I am cold. Does anyone know how long this lasts and is there a way to avoid putting on any weight gain? Thanks in advance for any input. Watsonk in Florida :'(

Hi, Iam 35 and have had a goitre for some years. I have had numerous needle biopsys but showed nothing so the doc suggested I have the total thyroid removed. It is now 10 days since the operation and... touch wood Im feeling fine. Ok, the first couple of days I was in a little pain but nothing paracetomal couldn't shift. Iam on medication for the rest of my life and I also need to go back to check out my results but apart from that I felt everything went ok. If I'd read all the comments on this site before hand I probably wouldn't have had the op done. So anybody reading these comments please dont let it put you off if you really need it doing. Good luck. XD

It is me again, I am the one from previous posts. I had a partial thyroid removed because of a goiter. It was said to be the best way to go because my husband and I were trying to conceive. I posted the way I was feeling, 6 months after surgery. It is now 9 months after surgery and I no longer have headaches and ear presure but I still experience weight gain (30 pounds), very crabby and still unable to conceive. I get my levels checked every two months. I am at 5.38 right now, its been going up and down since the surgery and the doctor wont give me any meds till my levels start to balance out. I cant wait to start feeling normal again.

I had problems too with my removal, but I got a bacterial infection in the incision. If you have inflamation, you may have one too. The doctor said to use heat to reduce pain and inflamation, not cold. I was putting ice on it, but it was incorrect. Try a heating pad or one of those microwave packs...