I remember that day like it was yesterday. Last christmas as I was preparing to open gifts with my family I began to feel pain in my neck. It was a sharp stabbing pain. After the family finished opening gifts I went to the bathroom. I discovered that two lymph nodes under my chin where swollen. They continued to swell over the next couple of days and hurt terribly. After the initial swelling the pain disappeared and the lymph nodes slowly began to unswell. But every couple of weeks following the initial swelling they would start to hurt and swell up again. Then they would go back down in a couple weeks. This went on for about two months. Then I started feeling a new pain under the end of my chin. A couple hours later I noticed two more nodes swelling. These hurt worse then the first. I decided to go to the doctor and get it checked out. He ran a multitude of tests. But failed to find any reason for my nodes swelling. So he gave me some t3's and sent me home to return of more swelled. My nodes began to unswell again and almost went away. But a week later or so more began to swell. They swelled up behind my ears and on the sides of my neck as well as along my hair line (12 nodes in all swelled). By now I was getting really worried so I went back to the doctor. He gave me more t3's and told me to wait awhile and see if they get better. It's now almost been 5 months since the initially swelled so I went back to the doctor. He said he was stumped so he referred me to a Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. He looked me over ran some more blood tests (all negitive). He gave me some Mobic to reduce swelling. He said that he doesn't think it's cancer cause of the pain and due to them unswelling before the swell back up. Also I've never had sex so std's a a definite not a possibility. The tests I've had so far are: TB, CBC, sedimentation rate, cat scratch, toxio plasmosis, mono, and a few others I can't remember. Might anyone here any idea whats wrong with me. I'm REALLY worried and it's causing me a lot of pain. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I just can’t believe that the doctor that checked you out couldn’t make a diagnose or even just guess what might be going on with you. It is obvious that something really is going on in your organism and the doctors are the ones that should recognize the symptoms and do the tests which would help us find out what is the underlying cause of the current condition. What I can tell you is that the most common cause for the lymph nodes swelling are infections. According to which nodes are swollen, you should be told which part of your body is infected. What you also should know is that when the nodes swell, this is how the organism fights the infection, so when you see the nodes are enlarged and start hurting all of the sudden, you know there must be some infection (or even injury) in your body. So that’s what doctors are meant for, they should send you to proper examinations according to the symptoms you have. Do you feel anything else, like headaches, chest pains, nausea etc? I just can’t even make a guess what could be happening to you, I wouldn’t want to be wrong but you just have to ask another doctor for the opinion as this doesn’t really seems like there is nothing wrong with you.

My first doc I went to did make a guess at what it was but it sounds fishy to me. He thought that it might be a dental cleaning I had 5 months ago that caused it. But I wouldn't think more would be swelling up since the initial swelling if that was the case. Also it's been over 5 months which seems like a long time for that. The second doc told me that since I'm experiencing no symptoms besides lymph node swelling/pain to go ahead and wait a month a see if it gets better. If not I'm supposed to go back and he wants to biopsy one of them. It's been 2 weeks since that visit and it's not getting better. So I'm most likely going to have to go back for a biopsy.

I'd also like to note in regard to the dental cause that my teeth/gums are in excellent condition. I defiantly don't have a infection anywhere visible or felt in my mouth.

Ok, let me know how biopsy went!

hi i was wondering if you can help me out here, the Lymph gland underneath the left side of my chin is swollen and is a lump, while the gland on the right side is perfectly normal and i can hardly feel it, i had a sore throat but it went away last week after i had a cough bottle, i can swallow perfect please can you help me out i am only 17 it isnt cancer is it

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response.

It shouldn’t be cancer. The only way to know is to wait for at least another two weeks to see if it goes away. I suppose you are very well aware of that lymph glands stand first as a defense against foreign organisms in our bodies, so when an infection is present they swell. They swell because the number of white blood cells enlarges in order to fight the intruder.

Since you reported having a sore throat just a week ago, the swelling is probably because of that. The lymph nodes may stay enlarger for a few more days or weeks after the infection has cleared. The lymph nodes that swell are those that are nearest to the infection site which again confirms sore throat-due swelling.

Like I said, if it doesn’t subside in a few weeks time, you should see a doctor, they should tell just by looking and attaching it.

We went through the same thing with our daughter. After 1 year of testing at Yale and MANY other doctors, we NEVER got to the bottom of it. I am an RN and my husband is a chiropractor, we both eventually had her do a cleansing program and started her on some high quality supplements which have helped tremendously.

This is one for the weird file: We were setting off fireworks in the back yard and afterwards I came in to watch TV. I felt pain under my jaw line, on both sides of my neck and checked it out with my fingers. Both glands, on either side of my neck, right under my jaw line, were the size of golf balls! I ran to the mirror and couldn't believe what I saw. My gf asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and I told her I did not. I used hot water on a cloth to bring some pain relief and now the glands are going back down. The pain is subsiding. Obviously something in the smoke of the fireworks triggered some odd reaction. Very strange.

What kind of supplements did u try?

Have u been tested for sjogren's syndrome? I have similar problems and I have sjogrens primary. I have to watch very carefully what I eat no milk or bread or certain spices and they stay down....the second I take a bite or drink of anything with palm oil or palm kernel oil, or wheat gluten my neck lymph nodes swell badly.

what supplements for cleansing? I would be interested in trying similar brands and supplements. Thanks

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have the same thing and everyone is puzzled. I remember the moment it first happened.It took me to my knees. I have never felt such a sharp stabbing pain.It didn't radiate nor did it swell.It was just immediate instant stabbing pain nd since it happened the first time it has happened several more times.Usually every 2-4 months it will happen. Im not a person who thinks I have every illness either.

Sorry for the late reply, But i was just wandering if i could ask you some question. As Laylah answered you, It probably an infection in some area or part of your body; needed to fight the intruder and since thyroid hormone is one of the hormones involved in the long-term chemical control of your body. "It controls the metabolic rate of your body- how quickly substances are built up and broken down, how much oxygen your tissues user and how the brain of a growing child develops." so thyroid does a hell lot of a job. And thyroid gland produces thyroxine to regulate all that. And for 2 reasons you will get your gland swollen. 1st you eat food that lacks iodine(without it thyroid gland works very hard to try and make enough thyroxine so as a result it starts to enlarge), the 2nd reason, do you remember any scars that cut you anywhere around your body? if you do, that probably be it. And you need to wait. (the 3rd in my opinion is have you had a tonsil before a week or to before that starts happening, do you find your saliva mucus a bit solid and hard to eject from your mouth? because that is what happened to me after my tonsil). I know you will not read these because i am here a year after and i think you are definitely normal now but for the others sake.