I have a multinodular goiter that I have been monitoring for the past 12 years. It is benign, but my endocronologist has recommended surgery. I was wondering if there are any alternatives, specifically I was wondering if anyone had tried ethanol injections or lasers to remove the nodules. Since my thyroid is still functioning fine I would like to leave it intact, but just get rid of the nodules. Is this possible?
Thanks!

I have exactly the same question. I am trying to find anyone that has made a decisian not to have the thyroid removed. I have three nodules. The largest has been biopsied benign. Dr says biopsy is 95% accuate. So there is a 5% chance it is cancerous. Dr recommends a thyroidectomy. But it is a dificult decisian because my thyroid is totally functioning great!

goiters usually come about from an iodine deficiency, get yourself tested then supplement with iodine, selenium, vitamin e, and zinc. You can also start using coconut oil as it helps to regulate your thyroid.

Getting a surgery is the worst thing you can do. My husband has a goiter that came about after our water was fluoridated, now we are fighting back and working hard to get his goiter to shrink..

Tiny bit of info you usually dont hear 25% of goiters and nodules shrink on their own!

Good luck!

Nichole

I was scheduled for 3/5/09 got thyroidectomy. I had to cancel it, I just had a nagging feeling I shouldn't do it. Now I am looking for alternatives.

I am in the same boat and as much as i am reading about the effects after surgery, I am even more skeptical of having surgery. My Endocrin and general surgery both recommend that I have my thyroids removed due to the fact that cancer may appear or may have been missed. I am about to order a chinese supplement that is used for shrinking nodules being that my general surgeon doe not recommend it. It's worth a try.

When I first posted on here about the alternative treatments, my husband had a very large goiter and had been from one doc to another who were all telling him the same thing, 1. he was fine (they told him he didnt have a thyroid condition becuase the tests didn't show it) and 2. he should have the nodule as well as at least half his thyroid removed.

Well since then, my husband has begun supplementing with iodine, and has had some wonderful results! His nodule has shrunk so much it's almost gone, the anxiety attacks he was having everyday have been gone for the past 3 months, he has energy again and just feels better than he ever has.

I started myself, my mother, my son, and my niece and nephew on the same supplements and we've all seen lots of other wonderful results! Previously my mother and I suffered from hypothyroid, I also had anemia (I now know was due to my water being fluoridated), my son was catching colds frequently, my niece and nephew were sick EVERY week, all those thing are now gone! We sleep tons better than we ever used to, we have more stamina during the day, we don't have an eye sensitivity to the sunlight so we no longer need sunglasses, we haven't been sick since we began supplementing (with the exception to a stomach flu, which was knocked out with a couple giant spoonfuls of raw honey), we've lost a LOT of weight (I've lost 60 as has my husband, mom has lost 20 and still counting) LIFE is sooo much better. If you want to find out more information on the list of supplements we are taking or where to get them from, or just to keep up with our many successes, you can got to TheIodineProject.com

Best of luck to you all, I hope you will at least give it a try and see the difference it makes in your life, trust me you won't regret it!

Has anyone heard of percutaneous ethanol injections, I have 2 growths on my thyroid and they want to give me radiation to destroy them but it will most likely kill my thyroid also, I have to do something because one is hot and causing my heart to race. I understand these injections reduce the nodules and even make them disappear, but I can not find anyone who gives these injections, if you know of anywhere please let me know.

I also have large nodules on my thyroid and have been researching on line alternatives to surgery. Here is something I came up with PEI for thyroid cysts. Dr Richard Guttler's Thyroid Resources Center. I am just as confused as you his telephone # 800 408 4909 and I think he's in L.A.
Please keep me posted.
Eileen

I believe it is possible through laser intervention. You may wish to see the demonstration on you tube. If you decide to seek laser therapy you will find that it is difficult to find a doctor/center with sufficient thyroid lasing experience. I had some success by contacting the laser manufacturers and asking them to give me names. I am still working on an initial contact in the USA (Texas). If that does not work I will turn to Italy where this half-hour outpatient procedure is common practice. The doctors are called interventionist radiologists.

pls. tell me what the name of the medicines taking of your husband

I have a goiter and many nodules on my thyroid. They have been monitored for about 5 years now. I have had the goiter biopsied twice and it's not cancerous. I am getting another ultrasound done next week to see if any of the nodules have increased. I have this done every 6 months.

Hi how did he know if it was because of iodine deficiency? I'd like my goiter to be gone I hate it and everyone keep asking me if my neck is swollen but I was reading that if your body has too much iodine that it won't be good to use iodine supplements, . Please reply because I need to know, I've been to many doctors before and no one told me about this. Thanks in advance.

Hi - Did you ever find a U.S. contact that does thyroid nodule laser ablation?

Has anyone heard of the new treatment of FREEZING the thyroid?  No surgery.  My doctor just mentioned it today...he is sending me some information as it has not been done at our hospital yet!

Hi All,

My name is Michelle and I am 26 years old. I've been seeing an endocrinologist in Atlanta for about two years after my GP discovered a large lump on my thyroid. I have an autonomous hyper functioning thyroid nodule that brings me to have "mild" hyperthyroidism. I've been taking methimazole for about a year and a half to keep my levels normal.

He said I either needed to have half of my thyroid surgically removed with the lump, or have Radioactive Iodine Treatment completed. I refused both options, because I did not want to harm my actual thyroid tissue.

I did research on PEI but had a HUGELY difficult time finding a reputable physician who does this on toxic thyroid nodules. But after months and months of research, I FINALLY found one.

Dr. Dev Abraham is the Medical Director for the Endocrine Head and Neck Tumor program at the University of Utah. He has expertise in performing percutaneous ethanol ablation therapy for toxic thyroid nodules, thyroid and thyro-glossal cysts, and parathyroid adenomas.

I had the procedure done a month ago, and I am getting my blood tested next week. I will post EVERYWHERE once I have my blood tested because people need to know about this option.

Oh, and my insurance covered it through Humana. I paid a $40 co pay and about $45 to the facility after it was run through my insurance.

There is one caveat to this, and that is with PEI it only shrinks the nodule. I could potentially need one more session. I think that is why more doctors do not do it, because with surgery it is one and done, and the same with RAI (usually). Well I did NOT want to have surgery done, and RAI has SO MANY horrible side effects (and leads to other types of cancer later on.)

I really hope this helps some of you out, because I had such a hard time finding this truly incredible doctor.

Sincerely,
Michelle