I have hard that cardiomyopathy is a serious disease so I am a little bit worried because my father is diagnosed with it. His doctor told me that cardiomyopathy is condition where heart muscle becomes inflamed. I guess all this provokes him not to work properly. I would really liked to know more about my father’s disease but only thing I know it is caused by viral infection. Can you tell me more about it?

Cardiomyopathy can be classified as primary or secondary. Primary can’t be attributed to some specific cause, such as high blood pressure. Also there we can include and heart valve disease, artery diseases or congenital heart defect. Secondary cardiomyopathy is due to those specific causes. These causes are often associated with diseases involving other organs as well as the heart. The symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is one type, include shortness of breath on exertion, dizziness, fainting and angina pectoris. Angina is chest pain or discomfort caused by reduced blood supply to heart muscle. Some people have also and cardiac arrhythmias. These are abnormal heart rhythms which in some cases can lead to sudden death. The obstruction to blood flow from the left ventricle increases the ventricle's work. That’s why, with cardiomyopathy caused by viral infection, a heart murmur may be heard.