I had a pretty good chest cold over christmas eve/day. Sometimes I coughed so hard I thought my eyeballs were going to pop out.. a few days later I woke up with this pain or tenderness just at the bottom of my ribcage on the right side. I was out of town and assumed that I had just slept wrong or something on new bed im not used to.. but the pain hasn't gone away and its gotten real sore.. I sneezed the other morning and saw stars!. It hurts really bad when i cough or laugh or anything that requires the use of muscles below my chin. If I'm just sitting still doing nothing, its fine..a little dull pain, but nothing I couldn't live with.., but if I sneeze again i think i may pass out... I've had people tell me its either a cracked rib, or my gall bladder.. (yet I've had no fever, or nausea or anything like that)... just wondering...

I doubt you've cracked a rib, and from what ive heard they are tremedously painful when broken.
Perhaps youve just bruised your lung (or damaged it slightly) or pulled a muscle.
Both can happen from over coughing and if you've had a serious chest infection like you say then its likely.
I would go to the doctors if I were you as it could be a complication as a result of the chest infection.
There are a number of serious chest infections that can arrise from what seems like your average chesty cough!

I'm opposite from the first response received. It IS possible to crack a rib from severe coughing...it puts a LOT of pressure on your body. As a teenager, I was sick for about a month-month and a half with a HORRIFIC cough. Lucky me, I cracked a rib...and it hurt...for a long time. If you lie down on your back and suck in your stomach, if you can feel a bump, or protruding sick where the pain is, there's probably a crack. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot that can be done with a cracked rib, other than wait it out. Still, if the pain stays severe and is keeping you from your daily life, check with your doctor. Good luck!!

I apolagise for the info I gave!I wasnt aware i was possible to crack a rib from coughing!!
That sounds horrendously painful!!!
Ive had some nasty coughs before and the pain of that alone is practicaly unbearable, I cant imagine having that, combined with cracked bones!!
ow!
I would still go get checked out at the docs, but like ADRAKE2008 says you cant do anything about cracked and broken ribs, but you may get prescirbed some mighty strong painkillers!!!

I had exactly the same symptoms as JoannaB35. I've had a pain for about a week on my lower ribcage on the right- and it was really sore when I coughed but this morning I turned to the side while sitting down and coughed and it felt like something popped! I could barely move and everything went blurry and hot and I thought I was going to pass out. I went to A&£ and they took a chest x-ray and everything looked fine so the doctor says it must be a pulled muscle. It's still very sore but mentally it helps to know it's not a cracked rib and it's also nice to see that my lungs are looking good even though I have a phlegmy cough.

Go see a doctor and get your mind put at ease! It might be a cracked rib! If its muscle related then you can still take muscle relaxants and put a hot water bottle on it to help the pain.

Yes you can break or crack a rib from coughing. I actually broke my rib during a bad cold. There isn't much you can do but get through the pain. It is annoying but it will get better sooner or later, I was able to work and get stuff done just fine with a broken rib. Hope this helps!

This morning I was coughing and felt a very painful snap, pop, on my left side of my torso toward the back. I am in extreme pain espically when I cough or sneeze. I do not have any health insurance so I don't know what to do. I will say that this is very painful and I'm just looking for some answers. Thank you for ANY input.

I'm actually going through this pain right now. About 11 days ago I started feeling this pain on my right side underneath my ribs and I had no idea how it happened. I waited it out for about a week and the pain did not recede at all. Finally I went to see my doctor and he just prescribed some anti-inflammitory meds. I was told that there are tendons which are connected to the ribs and that it had been stressed.

omg i've never felt like this before.. had exactly the same thing happen to me, i coughed and felt a huge pop under my ribs. i'm getting over bronchitis and i know i coughed so much over the past couple weeks to break or crack a rib with no problem. wahtever it is feels horrible and i'm 8 months pregnant so i'm really worried. i'm hopin it will start to feel better soon, i have a dr appt in a few days so i'm gonna try to make it until then.

I went to the ER this past friday because I could not breath. I get a call Sunday night from the ER because the radiologist found that I had broke my rib. I was just diagnosed with broncitis, and I did it coughing. I knew something was wrong because it felt like a balloon under my rib ( or pressure).

Also similar to person who posted on 12-14-09 i'm going through this now (1-23-10.) I've had a persistent cough and while jogging almost a week ago i had a violent coughing fit and felt pain just under my right chest muscle or where it connects to ribs. I suspected i pulled a muscle but thought maybe membrane tear since it's right at bottom of muscle. It's gotten worse and hurts intensely when i cough, sneeze, blow my nose or try (while laying on back) to raise myself up (sit up style.)

While resting it doesn't hurt. The post about tendons in the area was very informative. I didn't know if it's a muscle problem, membrane tear, cracked rib or even pleurisy which i've read about. The tendon thing sounds very logical and i assumed not much i can do but let it heal but i find messages on this forum very informative. And it's interesting that my problem too is on the right side of chest/ribs like others.

it is absolutely a cracked rib. I did have absolutely the same problem. everything you wrote is exactly what I have been feeling for last 3 days . I went to ER this morning and after Xray the doctor said my lower rib is broken " cracked rib = broken rib" . i was coughing so hard the day before that, and didn't do anything else that because i was sick.

Thank you! I have been experiencing this pain on my lower right side just below the rib cage and I was getting concerned. I have had a bad cough for weeks due to asthma and allergies and now I can put my mind at ease...I am going to just wait it out!

lol.... im not laughing at your pain guys, im laughing at the fact of how common this seems..... actually im not laughing much at all right now. i have the same problem, lower left side of ribs except mine isnt from coughing..... its from sneezing. omg.... it was sneeze, snap, pain, and not being able to breathe for about a minute. seriously black spot from pain and vision dimming from lack of oxygen. i hope its only a strained muscle

Oh my gosh, I feel better reading about this. I also have horrible pain on my left side. I am getting over pnemonia. Had a horrible cough for 2.5 weeks. My Doctor felt around on my left side and when he hit the spot I yelled. He said chances are I pulled a rib muscle, fractured or even broke it. It does hurt horribly bad to lay down.... Once I find the right spot, I lay that way all night. Bending and twisting hurts. Getting in and out of car hurts. Hopefully this heals up fast as it is scary.... But makes me feel better that others have had it also. Good luck everyone.. I feel your pain