I have a problem. After I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, my therapy included synvic injections. I had been resisting for a while to take the injections, but the doctors explained me everything and said that injections will be given into the knee and that the improvement should be felt momentarily. But, something happened and now the pain and swelling cannot leave. What happened? Synvic injection damaged my knee.

Synvic injection is hyaluronic that enables a better movement of joints. It is a substance that acts between cartilages in the joint and thus relieves a person from any pain. I think that pain you feel could be the consequence of allergic reaction to that substance. Also, it could be an infection caused by inadequate injection application.

I also had an injection with Synvisc. From the time the doctor started the injection it hurt like the dickens! My knee stayed that way for about 2 weeks. I received absolutely NO RELIEF from this injection

I has Synvisc One injections on September 30, 2009 and received a second set on April 29, 2010. I agree they do hurt, but well worth the pain I endure without them. Relief can last up to six months ~ my left knee does really good for the six months, my right knee does good for five months.

I had a Synvisc injection on October 23, 2012.  Approximately 2 weeks later my knee swelled up to 20 inches, had incredible pain, heat, redness and unable to weight bear or bend knee for over 2 weeks.  Ended up having emergency arthroscopy.  Found a liquid, green fluid that almost instantly turned to jell after removal and some other unknown jell like substance came out when the knee was flushed.  My othro surgeon said he had never seen such a thing.  To this day, we do not know what the substance was and I am concerned about possible damage to the joint.  I have a new pain within the joint that was not there before the injection and am having a great deal of trouble with my patellar ligament/joint area.  Is there any record of damage that may be caused by Synvisc when a patient has some sort of reaction to it/a bad batch is injected?

Almost identical issue with my wife's knee treatment on October 1, 2012. Ortho (at that clinic) stated he had never heard of an adverse reaction. Ortho at the second opinion (read: better) clinic said they had ceased Synvisc injections 3 years ago, following several adverse reactions. At this point, my wife's knee is in far worse shape than when she went in for the initial treatment. I would love to find others with this problem; it almost sounds like there is defective product being sold and administered.

i had a injection of synvisc two years ago and ended up in icu the next day for five days, i had a bad reaction to it and it was attacking my lungs, now i have a immune deficiency, i am currently talking to an attorney about a class action suit against the makers of synvisc so if you could email me your contact info that would be great

Just curious before I send any info, why have you waited 2 years to start a claim? Also not sure that both myself and salmosrevenge's problems are related as we received the injections 2 yrs. later? If anything, I would guess that both of us may have received a bad batch as our injections were only days apart. I was hoping to hear back from salmosrevenge but, unfortunately have never. I also have thought about a law suit against the manufacture. Where are you located?

I received an injection 5 days ago and my knee hurts worse now then it did before the injection. I cannot straighten the knee completely straight without pain or bend it for long periods of time without pain. I had the injection because I've torn the cartilage twice and had surgery to have it removed. I tore it for a third time, but the surgeon did not want to remove anymore cartilage because I have very little left. I had less pain before the injection. I wish I never did this. Will the pain get better or go away, or am I stuck with worse pain now then before?

I can relate to what your wife is going through this is my story..I had one injection of Synvisc, and while my doctor's assistant was doing it, I begged him to please stop . It was so painful, I was crying out loud it hurt so bad. He told me he couldn't stop until the whole injection was in my knee. I kept begging him to stop but he wouldn't do it. I am sure other patients in the office heard me crying and begging him to quit with the injection. After he was done, he told me the doctor would be in to see me. A friend took me to my dr.'s appointment. She felt so bad for me as I was still crying so hard. The dr. came in and said we never had anyone that had a reaction like you did to the injection. I was still crying, and told him I had begged his assistant to please quit but he wouldn't. The dr. told me I could sit and stay in room that I was in as long as I needed to. I was in there for more than a half hour still crying because of all the pain I was in. Finally I told my friend, I wanted to leave and go home. I had to hope out of his office on one foot with my cane, it hurt so bad. I had to lay on my sofa for over a week before I could put any weight on that left leg at all just so I could use the bathroom . The orthopedic surgeon and I had talked about a knee replacement so at least I had gotten a potty chair already for after my surgery which had been place next to the sofa. That injection caused me to have permanent nerve damage in my knee.There must be some way we can get some kind of compensation for what we are going through. I know that permanent nerve damage does not go away. This dr., a couple of months later did a knee replacement, what a mistake that was, now my lower leg plus my knee has permanent nerve damage, I can't bend my knee but just a little bit and am in constant pain. I am worse off than I was before the surgery. All I wanted is to be able to dance again, now I cant even take a walk as I can not be on my feet for more than 5 to 10 minutes before I am in extreme pain, my leg and knee is completely numb...do I cry about, yes I do. I hope I can find a dr. that can help me to fix this. As far as the nerve damage goes that will never come back. I HOPE THAT WE CAN GET SOME KIND OF COMPENSATION FROM SYNVISC...

I'm sorry, I was replying to the man whos e wife was having problems with her injection, but you can read what I'm going through. That injection was horrific to say the least. There must be some kind of class action suit somewhere. I guess I will try to google it .

Could you please let us know what your attorney has to say. I talked to an attorney today about mine but he didn't have a whole lot today and this is my story...I had one injection of Synvisc, and while my doctor's assistant was doing it, I begged him to please stop . It was so painful, I was crying out loud it hurt so bad. He told me he couldn't stop until the whole injection was in my knee. I kept begging him to stop but he wouldn't do it. I am sure other patients in the office heard me crying and begging him to quit with the injection. After he was done, he told me the doctor would be in to see me. A friend took me to my dr.'s appointment. She felt so bad for me as I was still crying so hard. The dr. came in and said we never had anyone that had a reaction like you did to the injection. I was still crying, and told him I had begged his assistant to please quit but he wouldn't. The dr. told me I could sit and stay in room that I was in as long as I needed to. I was in there for more than a half hour still crying because of all the pain I was in. Finally I told my friend, I wanted to leave and go home. I had to hope out of his office on one foot with my cane, it hurt so bad. I had to lay on my sofa for over a week before I could put any weight on that left leg at all just so I could use the bathroom . The orthopedic surgeon and I had talked about a knee replacement so at least I had gotten a potty chair already for after my surgery which had been place next to the sofa. That injection caused me to have permanent nerve damage in my knee.There must be some way we can get some kind of compensation for what we are going through. I know that permanent nerve damage does not go away. This dr., a couple of months later did a knee replacement, what a mistake that was, now my lower leg plus my knee has permanent nerve damage, I can't bend my knee but just a little bit and am in constant pain. I am worse off than I was before the surgery. All I wanted is to be able to dance again, now I cant even take a walk as I can not be on my feet for more than 5 to 10 minutes before I am in extreme pain, my leg and knee is completely numb...do I cry about, yes I do. I hope I can find a dr. that can help me to fix this. As far as the nerve damage goes that will never come back. I HOPE THAT WE CAN GET SOME KIND OF COMPENSATION FROM SYNVISC...

I had one injection of Synvisc, and while my doctor's assistant was doing it, I begged him to please stop . It was so painful, I was crying out loud it hurt so bad. He told me he couldn't stop until the whole injection was in my knee. I kept begging him to stop but he wouldn't do it. I am sure other patients in the office heard me crying and begging him to quit with the injection. After he was done, he told me the doctor would be in to see me. A friend took me to my dr.'s appointment. She felt so bad for me as I was still crying so hard. The dr. came in and said we never had anyone that had a reaction like you did to the injection. I was still crying, and told him I had begged his assistant to please quit but he wouldn't. The dr. told me I could sit and stay in room that I was in as long as I needed to. I was in there for more than a half hour still crying because of all the pain I was in. Finally I told my friend, I wanted to leave and go home. I had to hope out of his office on one foot with my cane, it hurt so bad. I had to lay on my sofa for over a week before I could put any weight on that left leg at all just so I could use the bathroom . The orthopedic surgeon and I had talked about a knee replacement so at least I had gotten a potty chair already for after my surgery which had been place next to the sofa. That injection caused me to have permanent nerve damage in my knee.There must be some way we can get some kind of compensation for what we are going through. I know that permanent nerve damage does not go away. This dr., a couple of months later did a knee replacement, what a mistake that was, now my lower leg plus my knee has permanent nerve damage, I can't bend my knee but just a little bit and am in constant pain. I am worse off than I was before the surgery. All I wanted is to be able to dance again, now I cant even take a walk as I can not be on my feet for more than 5 to 10 minutes before I am in extreme pain, my leg and knee is completely numb...do I cry about, yes I do. I hope I can find a dr. that can help me to fix this. As far as the nerve damage goes that will never come back. I HOPE THAT WE CAN GET SOME KIND OF COMPENSATION FROM SYNVISC...

Daphne,
I know how you are feeling! Makes me think that there was a bad batch of synvisc put out there by the manufacturer and we all have possibly experienced the effects of it. I have still never heard back from insulatorms as to whether or not he/she pursued legal action. Are you canadian or american? I like to find out if we have all received our synvisc from the same manufacturer. I was able to find out that one of the companies manufacturing the product had discontinued making it about a year ago. If anyone has any information that might help us all, please share it. It scares me that permanent nerve damage can be done, I was told by my ortho that it could not cause any permanent damage. How do you know that you have permanent damage?

Hi Burns, I had this injection well over a year ago,maybe a year and a half ago... and permanent nerve damage is something that lasts more than 6 months to a year,. I am from the states. Where are you from ? You can write to me at

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

. I spoke to an attorney on Friday he told me that if I had nerve damage from the injection that I could sue the manufacturer. I had a knee replacement that was a bad one so beware of those also. My orthopedic surgeon did not tell me that there was a risk in it not working for me, had I known , I might have thought twice about it. My knee and leg are now worse than before the surgery.I am so very upset about this. I thought I might have a malpractice suit against the doctor but the attorney told me no. He did say I had to find out what kind of knee replacement was used in my surgery and to make sure my surgeon documented when I did tell him that the injection did cause me nerve damage. I am going to make an appointment with him right away to make sure he does have that in his records. Unfortunately I do not trust any doctors. T am disabled because of too many bad surgeries I have had in the past. I look forward to hearing from you again. One thing I do want to say the manufacturer of Synvisc is not going to give you any information about the injection you had as they are going to try and cover themselves in any kind of lawsuits, you will need an attorney to represent you. I went to college to become a paralegal, so these things I do know. I wish us and everyone else that has been injured by this horrible drug, injection or whatever that we all get compensation for the pain and suffering and the years that are to come also that we will continue to suffer.