I had an Oxford knee replacement (partial knee replacement) which did not work. I’ve been told I need a full knee replacement. Has anybody information on this type of revision?

I just wanted to say that I finally have the date for my right partial knee replacement surgery. I will be getting rid of my other junk knee on July. I have heard a partial knee replacement begin referred to as an Oxford knee, but I am not positive about this. My job now is to hang in there, do what I need to between now, and then to get on with my life. I read some posts here and one worries me. One guy had a partial knee replacement and after 9 months post op and wasn’t still satisfied. I hope I’ll be!

At present I am in no way a fan of the oxford knee, I had mine done last Dec a week before xmas and so whole holiday season was done. Since I had the operation I have experienced all kinds of problems with pain and have even wore pain patches to stay the pain. I am still taking pain killers and yesterday I seen the surgeon who made all sorts of promises about how great it would be and his comment yesterday was "you get what you got" and he said he didn't figure even a full knee joint would make things any better. Never again for me that is for sure. My scan three weeks ago showed problems but he said he did feel that the test wasn't read right so what would you do? Who would you believe?

The most wonderful implant ever, in 10 months of the surgery I have completed 3 marathons including Boston, and 100 mile trail run..

21 days after surgery did my first 5K, and 90 days my first marathon.

I am 51 in just a few days...attitude to take your life back is key.

I had the Oxford knee placed a year ago. At first all seemed to be on track. But after about 4 months things went downhill quickly. Increased swelling with periods of minimal swelling followed by a sudden onset of swelling to the point where I needed to use a crutch because of limited mobility from the swelling. I've seen 3 guys including the one who placed it. None of them have an answer. They are all dumbfounded and cannot pinpoint the cause of the swelling. The pain is minimal. I cannot even think of playing tennis, running, as was promised within four months of surgery. They've done an MRI, a dozen X-rays, and bone scan looking for infection as well as blood work....nothing. Has anyone out there had any symptoms even remotely similar to what I describe. I'm 48, active and not ready to call it quits yet.

The person who stated he ran a 5k 21 days after surgery I find very hard to believe. I'm in excellent condition and that was not even close to being an option. I wonder if it may be a planted post.

I had the Oxford put in 3 years ago after having the unispacer and reconstructed ACL. I am going to see doctor Monday, whom I'm told does not use the Oxford anymore he has a new device he uses. I have had the same problem with swelling, and after walking around Cedar Point for 4 hours I was in so much pain that I couldn't crawl if I needed to. I'm sure my doctor will tell me that I need to lose 50 pounds, hard to do when you can't walk without pain. I am only 37, I tore my knee up after giving birth to my second daughter. I walked around for 4 years with a torn ACL, I had 3 doctors do 7 scopes till a intern asked doctor what was gonna hold the unispace into place. As for the guy that says he ran 3 weeks after having this done, When did you do Physical Therapy? Mine didn't start till a week after surgery and lasted for 4 weeks. I was still with a walker for a month after that. I find it hard to believe. I'm just wondering what the "new" device is. The unispacer was suppose to be the best, off the market within a year. It rubbed my bone down to where I had no choice but get a Oxford. I don't want to go thru the pain again, but I can't handle not being able to walk.

The literature and my surgeon showed great promise for the Oxford. It seems like a so much better option than the far more radical total knee replacement. I am 61 and in good physical shape. I had my Oxford replacement about seven weeks ago. I did the physio religiously and it seemed to progress well for the first three weeks or so. However, it remained swollen and was consistently warm to the touch. My doctor did a blood test which showed no sign of infection. Now I seem to have reached a level of discomfort and limitation similar to before I had the procedure. I see the surgeon again tomorrow so will learn more about the issues. So far though I am disappointed.

I agree that the post about doing a marathon a few weeks after the procedure is a plant. Nonsense.

I had a total knee implanted on my right knee a year ago and had nothing but problems and pain. After finding a new surgeon, he suggested a Oxford partial knee for my left side which had also given me problems. Two months ago I had the left knee operated on and it is like night and day. The Oxford knee has been wonderful, and virtually pain free. It feels more like my real knee from what I can remember. I only wish my first doctor had recommended an Oxford for my right knee!

Guest wrote:

So can you tell me more about what the Oxford knee is like versus a regular knee? I'd like to know more about this! THanks :)

I had the Oxford knee replacement exactly 2 years ago and althought the pain doesn't compare to the bone-on-bone pain I had prior to surgery due to torn meniscus and arthritis, I'm not at all to the point where I would recommend this to anyone. I'm only 52 and hate to think I have to live the rest of my life feeling the ache and mechanical feeling that I now have all the time in this knee. I will never run again but finally, walking has much improved.

I had the Oxford Knee replacement on my right leg exactly four years ago. I don't regret it, because it gave me a few years of walking without buckling and falling, but I have never been pain-free, nor have I been able to return (as promised) to bicycling and in-line skating. From the start, the right leg with the replacement looked odd, aiming out from the knee, almost like the replacement was too big. I've never been able to straighten that knee. Recovery took a long time because pain never really went away. Winters are deadly, because slips seem to wrench it out of place. The pain is a real bone pain. A few months ago there was an article in our local paper about how many doctors implanted men's Oxford knee sizes into women's legs...I guess I got one of those! Now the pain on the lateral side of my knee is almost unbearable, as the lateral side of the joint needs replacing. My surgeon told me there is a lateral replacement that can be added to the Oxford, but he would have to do a total replacement on me because the back of my knee is bad from never having been able to straighten. Let's not even talk about my left knee!!!! I'm on Celebrex for now.

Guest wrote:

I had a partial knee replacement almost 2 years ago and I still have persistent swelling in my knee. I have ggod bend and flex and for the most part no pain. However, the swelling does at times cause me problems I have seen 2 different doctors, had it drained twice, blood work a second attempt at PT and anti- inflammatories without success. Like you, I am active and just turned 50. I was told have the surgery while you are young and healthy so that you get better quality of life in later years. I wich I had waited to have it done. I can totally relate.

I had a oxford partial replacement on my right knee in Feb. 09 and am doing ok but am a long way from being close to normal. Since I had met my deductible I decided to get my left knee done in Oct. 09. The left knee did absolutely great compared to the right. I went to therapy for 4 weeks and achieved 121 degrees flexion and was very satisfied. UNTIL Dec. 09 the spacer in my left knee popped out of place and I went in 2 days later to get cut open again and have it replaced. I was simply lying in bed and turned over and felt something go wrong. My doctor has no idea why it happened, said that out of the thousands of surgeries he has performed that I am the first one this has happened to. I have lost all confidence in this quack and don't know what to do. He has been having me wear a brace so I can't bend it past 90 degrees. Says I must have healed to good to soon!!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

I had an oxford partial put in 6 weeks ago (a few days before Thanksgiving 09), this was after an injury about 1.5 years ago that lead to an OATS bone transplant that did not work well for me. I had full anesthesia and a 'cain tube implant that let me kill off the pain, I was able to flex the joint to about 100 deg the day after surgery, asked to be released and after they made me do some simulated stairs and car entry they cut me loose with the 'cain pump to take home. I was walking short distances (about 12 feet) the second day home and no longer needed a walker except to do home phys therapy. I did home therapy for 5 days, had flex to about 136 degrees but I was working it pretty hard - pain meds have their uses. My outpatient therapist (who I used for the OATS recovery) said I had 146 deg flex on the first day and it was up to 155 Deg after 7 days of daily PT. It still hurts sometimes and I need meds to sleep well and getting out of a car (passenger side only) and if I sit funny I make it mad for an hour or so. But it pays to find a GOOD doctor, this can be a hard realm to see into so I suggest going around to a few PT specialists in your area and ask them who does the best work, if you make an appointment and see them, and you like them, promise to let them do the PT work on you - thats fair and what I did. Ask them who they would take their Mom to if they had this problem. One of the PT's told me there are some real "hacks" out there and they have seen misaligned prosthetics that cause all sorts of pain. The one I had said she would let this doc "cut on me" and Oxford does have a list of certified specialists. If you read the installation manual, it says that most of the problems occur when you are learning the procedure (duh!) and I asked my doc how many he did and he said it was x per year not total he could remember. I also checked with the prep nurses in the hospital and they really liked his work too. Seems like a lot of work but this is my body and permanent, but its only a job for the surgeon, sorry but that is how it works. Anyway, I'm happy, its not perfect at 6 weeks but it is way better than the last 1.5 years of not being able to play with my 6 year old. I'm 54 btw, average weight and used to be fairly active - hoping to get back to that soon. Good luck!

I've had not one but two partial Oxford knee replacements - and it is honestly the best thing that I've ever done. I've got my life back - I am 54, overweight but active - the pain in my knees was crippling, but it has all gone now! I can walk for however long I want to, go shopping, go walking over rough ground - sightseeing on holidays. I did my exercises faithfully, can squat and kneel and feel fantastic. I am sorry that it hasn't worked for everyone, BUT don't knock the 'Oxford knees' because there are many of us who have benefitted greatly (and I do know other people who have had the op - some of them on not one but two knees). This posting isn't a plant - it is from a genuinely thankful person. THANK YOU OXFORD KNEES.