I think it is a mistake to tell people that as long as they are under a doctors supervision, there is no danger of becoming addicted to drugs like oxycontin, Vicodin, or methatdone. Most people who get addicted to these drugs do so under a physicians care. Plus, it doesn't take long to get addicted. I would suggest that anyone with depression consider their options very carefully, opiates give certain people a false sense of happiness. You end up self medicating at first and then before you know it...you've become addicted. IT HAPPENED TO ME VERY QUICKLY. I took methadone to help because I thought it was my only option, if I had to do it over again I would choose buphenorphine (Suboxone). Anybody that thinks they may have a problem should seek the advice of an addiction specialist. Unfortunately, too many well meaining doctors will continue to prescribe Vicodin (oxycontin etc.) thinking their patients can "wean" themselves off. This just isn't the case. There should be more training available for general practice physicians because this seems to be a growing trend.
I hope this will help at least one person.
Thank you.

There are a very few doctors that may be too quick with the prescription of narcotic pain killers, but I have far less concern about them than the vast majority of doctors who patronizingly hold back on the strong pain meds because of concerns of addiction, scrutiny from the DEA, and a sense of higher morality. If someone is in pain, who is the doctor to say, it is better to suffer "a little", than get started on some stronger more addictive pain med. I've done personal injury law for over 30 years, including medical malpractice cases. I've had clients with hidious injuries where the attending physician will refuse to prescribe anything other than the usual 750mg vicodin. I usually tell such clients to find a doctor who is a little more empathetic and patient oriented.