Hi I just wanted some advic on my subject. I am 29 years old and have been addicted to vicodin,percacet and oxycontin for about 3 years. I am 5 1/2 months pregnant now but I have cut myself down to mostly vicodin. I take about 5 pills a day.I can't stop cause the withdrawal kills me. What can I do and what harm am I doing to my unborn baby? Please help

Vicodin is tylenol based. Searching the internet and found it to say that v's are to be taken in MODERATION while under a Doctors care.

You mentioned you have slowed down with the other drugs. Does that mean you still take them?
PERCOCETS, the active ingredient is oxycodone, a narcotic pain med (opiate) and acetaminophen,(tylenol)
Withdrawl symptoms after birth includes irritability, hyperactivity, tremors, faster breathing, increased stools, fever, vomiting, sneezing and yawning. The severity of the symptoms is not always tied to how much or how long mom has used opiates.
OXYCONTIN, should not be taken by pregnant and or nursing moms. Neonates (baby's) may exhibit respiratory depression and or withdrawls, either at birth or in the nursery. Breastfeeding while taking oxy's should not be undertaken because of the possibility of sedation and or resiratory depression in the infant.
Please think of your little baby. Withdrawls WILL NOT kill you. Detox under a Doctors supervision. If you withdraw your baby has to be monitored as well, as he/she may go thru the same thing that you do.
Your baby deserves a healthy and happy life. I know you would feel horrible if your little one is born addicted.
It is not to late. Talk to your Doctor and tell him whats going on. He will help you over come this and see to it that you get quality help with your addiction.

Thank you for your advice. I have quit every thing exept vs as of 3 weeks ago. I get prescribed them for very extreme migrain headaches.
I was told that if i withdraw from vs, that I may kill my baby. That is why Im so afraid.

Who told you that if you stopped the v's you would kill your baby? A Doctor would not prescribe them if that was the case. I have known people who were prescribed v's and pregnant. Talk to him. Is he the one who gave you them for your migrains?
You can be detoxed medically, in a controlled environment.
Maybe the Doctor will allow you to stay on them but alter the dosage a little. Just talk to him. Give your baby a healthy start. Please.

Thank you for your advice. Its gonna take some courage, but I know I need to tell my doctor that I have a problem with them and that Im addicted. My baby does not deserve to start his life like that. THX

Astarr... Your postings really moved me.
I don't know if you know thru navigating around on this site, that my own daughter is addicted to opiates.
She has a little boy who is now 7 years old. All the time she was pregnant she smoked pot.
She would also pop v's and the occasional oxy.
Her tummy was so very small. After 3 or 4 months her doctor started to order ultra sounds to see why she was so small. Nothing of great concern was determined, other than the fact that she was carrying a small baby.

On July 8,2000, Cody was born. He weighed in at exactly 5 pounds. He exibited no signs at all of addiction.
They took him home and their troubles began. He was the most fussiest baby i have ever seen. He cried a lot, and he refused to sleep. They had him on several different kinds of formula as he threw up every thing he ate. He would lay in his crib and blankley stare into space. As he got a little older, his motor skills were poor, he never rolled over and didn't start to pull himself up on things until he was 1 year old.

Today, he is in first grade. He is smarter than a whip. Although he looks normal on the outside (other than being little) he has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is so so hyper, and he yells out when ever he feels like it. He does not have Tourrets, he just yells, a lot.

The court took him away from my daughter, as she is an addict. He lives with his other set of grandparents. Cody is nervous, he worries about every thing. His mom sees him every day, she just can not be alone with him. He is in the process of getting in with a Phyciatrist.

The point i am trying to make here is, i don't know for sure if the drugs helped make him the way he is.
I would think they played a role some where.
I experience seeing the effects and devestation caused from an addiction every day. My daughter is Killing me.
Please, feel free to ask me anything. If i can help you thru this, i will. Stay strong for your little baby. You need to be healthy as well. Babies are not the easiest little creatures to tend to. You need to enter into mother hood with a crisp and clear mind. Snap decisions and quick responses come with being a mom. You can't be cloudy and slow to react as the situation may be life threatening.
Keep in touch. I wish you good health and happiness. When you hold that little bundle in your arms for the first time you will know that he is the only thing that matters.

I just stopped to see your posts and was compelled to write. I am about 3 years into my addiction of Percocet, and 9 months sober from alcohol. I am at the first day of my withdrawl from about 6-12 pills a day, plus 2-3 Demerol. I wanted to reach out to any one I could in hopes of making a stronger connection for other addicts that are still suffering, plus aid in my own recovery. I know I need to stay stong and ask for help when I need it, but it`s hard when you work in a pharmacy and have access everyday to narcotics. This morning, I quit my job at the pharmacy.

I wanted to know how things worked out for you Astarr with your baby and bbfeet9 with your daughter. I am not a mother but I am a daughter, and I know that it hurts my mother and father so much to see me as an addict, I`m 33 yrs old. There is a brand new life that exists for me without drugs and alcohol, so I am motivated so much by your stories, thank-you. I hope you are still around so we can keep in touch. Take care.

My daughter is now 6 months clean and sober. I had her arrested 6 months ago where she sat in a jail cell and detoxed on her own with no choice. She was on every single drug known to mankind. She began her downward spiral when she was 13 beginning with pot and grabbing everything in the middle until her drug of choice was IV Heroin use. She is now 27.
What really sent her over the edge was her involvent with a pharmacist.
They meyt in a bar and started a relationship. The family really thought he was good for her. He played the wolf in sheeps clothing, for sure.He turned her on to every pharmie he could get his hands on. He would steal the drugs from a dead cancer patient and give then to her. He had her hooked up to morphine patches, which she tried to pass of as a smoking patch. I would find needles all over the place accompanied by little brown viles with the spongie tops.
There is just so much in between and it would take 100 years to keep going with this story, but thank the Lord above, she is finally on her way. She goes into a half way house next week for six months as part of her court deal.
She is beautiful, back up to a healthy weight, clear skin and doesn't fall asleep in mid conversation with a cigarette in her hand.
I was dying a little more every day. My phone would ring and i would just about jump out of my skin. There were times when i did not know if she was dead or alive. I thought for sure that i would be planning a funeral for my child. My mood was awful. I was constantly bitchin, always miserable, my marraige was literally hanging in the balance due to the stress that i was always under. I lost weight, hugh dark circles under my eyes, i pretty much stayed in the house all day long, exept to grab the mail or make a much need run to the store.
I know you love your mom/dad. I know my girl loves me. PM if you want to. If you just need someone to chat back and forth with, it's cool.
Hugs to you.

Hi all. was reading everyones articles. I just found out I am pregnant with my 4th child. I guess you can say I am addicted to Vicodins. I had a tummy tuck over 2 years ago, every since, cant get off Vicodin. I take only 1.5 pills three times daily. i still am scared of the withdrawels. I feel like if i talk to my OB about it, she will red flag my chart for everyone to know about it. I work in a doctors office and we are all on the same system and I do not want that marking, but I need to know how to wean myself off. Do I decrease one pill daily or every other day?? Does anyone have any suggestions. I take 1.5 pills every 4 hours, but I take my last ones in the evening.

You cannot, absolutely cannot, just stop taking opiates while pregnant. I speak specifically in the cases of mothers who are prescribed them for severe pain as a result of having an illness, but I imagine the guide lines are the same for a person who is a drug addict who takes the same dose daily. I am 9 months pregnant and have a spinal disease. I absolutely cannot function without pain meds. I have gone through tons of guilt and shame over having to stay on the meds (oxycontin 60 mgs 2 x's a day plus oxycodone 5-10 mg as needed for break through pain) My Ob Gyn, and many other Ob's said no way when asked if I should wean off and quit. Im talking at least 5-6 different doctors said this if not more. This was not something I took lightly at all and I was sure to get as many different opinions as possible. Their reasoning for staying on the meds is that it is impossible to monitor the withdrawal symptoms of the fetus while the mother withdrawals. Sudden withdrawal can mean pre term labor, or even death for a fetus. Do not listen to the uneducated well meaning m****s um er people who do not specialize in Perinatal fetal medicine. There were quite a few cocky ER docs who told me "Oh sure
As far as what will happen to your baby, if born addicted, you can expect your baby to be in the hospital NICU for up to a month after birth. Its standard practice for the NICU to monitor the baby's symptoms as well as treat them with morphine and other meds to help the baby wean off. Sure it sucks but an alive baby in the NICU is better than a dead baby in your belly.

i am 30 weeks pregnant and just relapsed used heroin 2 days ago, this is my second relapse since i found out i was pregnant,my question is how long will it take to get out of my system?is there a difference between a pregnant woman and a  woman who is not pregnant?concernedand worried