I have a friend who started to use some drug. When I asked her what is that used for, she was all confused. I started to think she does not know anything about this drug; just she needs to take it. She could not even tell me exact name, but said two different. That is why I want to know what the common name for buphenorphine is?

She might seem confused, because buphenorphine has few different names. Common and brand names are Temgesic, Subutex, Buprenex and Suboxone. This drug was approved by the FDA in 2002 for use as an opiate addiction treatment, like heroin and methadone.
Maybe that is why she did not want to share this information with you, since this is very delicate question. Subutex is buprenorphine hydrochloride and Suboxone is buprenorphine combined with naloxone, but all are common names for the same buphenorphine. These drugs are thought to be less powerful in treating addiction than methadone but also safer and with less side effects when is using. Buprenorphine is a partial opiate agonist that works by blocking withdrawals and cravings without producing a strong narcotic high. Naltrexone is an opiate antagonist that causes unpleasant side effects for opiate users that is used to prevent abuse because its effects are felt most acutely when the pills are crushed. That is why Subutex is adviced to be used at the beginning of treatment and Suboxone for maintenance and this kind of problems.

My wife is in detox for 5 years of taking percocet she got to where she had to take so many of the pills that she would run out half way through the month and had to suffer withdrawls. She is doing well in detox they have her on buphenorphine and she told me that she wants to have her doctor prescribe it to her when she gets out of detox. Is this a good thing or bad? I wanted her to go to detox to get clean but now i'm thinking she is going to just get hooked on the bupe. What should I do? I also had been on percocet and oxycontin for 2+ years and I detoxed myself at home I have been off for 12 days and I feel pretty good. The withdrawls from the pain meds are so hard to endure but she and I was tired of living our lives having to depend on the pills. She could not handle the withdrawls so that's why she went to detox but I hate to think she went through all this just to get addicted to yet another drug. How addicting is the bupe? Does it cause you to live life in the shadow of unreality? Because the pain meds have pretty much destroyed our life and marriage and I don't want to have more of the same from this bupe so can anyone tell me what to expect or should I just try to talk her into staying off of all the drugs?