Few weeks ago I found out that my friend from childhood is addicted to drug. This was big surprise to me. Anyway, apparently he checked him self into rehab and everything is going well so far. I would like to know more about use of buphenorphine for pain during recovery. Can someone tell me more about it?

Buprenorphine hydrochloride is an opiate used for the treatment of opiate addiction. Buprenorphine is a derivative of thebaine and it provides pain relief and also produces a narcotic high. It was originally used for pain relief purposes but it was quickly banned because of its addictive qualities and illegal sales. Subutex is a brand name for buprenorphine in its pure form and it combines buprenorphine with naloxone. Naloxone is an opiate antagonist, which prevents overdoses and produces less of a high and in theory this makes Buprenex and Suboxone easier to eventually stop using. However, its highly addictive qualities sometimes prevent that from happening. It is important that Buprenex does not prevent withdrawal symptoms and that patients typically undergo three phases of treatment with Suboxone or Buprenex. They initially stop using opiates for a set period of time and then they are given varied amounts of Buprenex, Subutex or Suboxone until they are considered stabilized. I hope that your friend will be ok.