Can anyone tell me if doctors prescribe Vicodin for a femoral hernia? I have a friend who is addicted to it and she claims that her doctors prescribe it for the treatment of the hernia (not the pain). She say's because it "relaxes" the hernia. I say, this doesn't make sense because Vicodin causes constipation and that could make the hernia worse. Also, could a strangulated hernia untangle itself?

I don't mean to laugh at you or your friend's misfortune, but this is some of the most ridiculous blubber I've ever heard. Any good doctor knows that a hernia is something that needs corrected and wouldn't leave it be to get worse. Vicodin is generally given for hernia only AFTER surgery as a pain reliever for the surgical site. No such thing as 'relaxing' a hernia. You can manipulate a hernia all you want, read up, nothing but SURGERY will fix a hernia. Your friend is lying to you.