When i was 15 almost 16 i was diagnosed with herpes 2. I had all the painful symptoms on my private areas went to the doc. the results positive. My question is why did i only have one outbreak?? I know this is a silly question b/c im really blessed by this outcome. Now im 21 happy married with kids, so i can't complain, but i do think its a little strange.
Also can u have an outbreak and not know about it???

brittanyjhager03 wrote:

I remember a doctor telling me once that if you have herpes, and you get it treated with Antivirls on the first outbreak, its possible that you wont have an outbreak ever again. This is plausible because herpes simplex is similar to the virus that causes chickenpox (which you only get once). So you may be in the clear. However, if you ever get any sort of weird bumps , blisters, or ulcers down there, or ANYTHING that looks remotely like that, you should get a skin culture test to see if it is a herpes outbreak. If you dont, then I wouldnt worry about it.

Xion999 wrote:

brittanyjhager03 wrote:

The same thing happened to me, when i was 14 i broke out with herpes, and once i was treated and they were gone, i never broke out again. I am now 19 and at the time had a boyfriend who i was with for 3 years and he never once got herpes. So im glad to know i no longer have it. But it was so interesting to me that i never got it again. But i feel truly lucky.

Once you get herpes you ALWAYS have it. You are not "Lucky" and "No longer have it." That's impossible.  Herpes is no different than any other virus. You body can not eliminate it completely. You always have every cold, flu, or other virus you ever had. Your immune system simply figures out how to "deal" with the virus and in most cases keeps it under control.  Unfortunately, herpes and chickenpox can both flare up from time to time and that's the issue. Both viruses are very clever and hide in the nerve axiom in the sacral nerve where your immune system can't see them or deal with them. Then, from time to time, they can re-emerge and cause breakouts.

So, you should always be careful. You can spread herpes to others even if you have had no outbreaks for years.  Since every immune system is different, the person you spread it to may not be as lucky as you, and it could really destroy their well being for a very long time. This is why you need to exercise caution.  My first outbreak lasted three horrible months, and the lingering nerve pain lasted almost 1 year. The person that gave it to me told me that it was "no big deal" to them. So BE CAREFUL!

i got herpes 3 years ago! from a guy who i thought was wearing a condom but had taken it off without me knowing and infected me. i am under the impression he knew he had herpes. i was 19 and always careful!! when i told him he told me it was no big idea through some statistics at me and said a horrible comment "welcome to billy vill" as in some sick welcome to this life of this std he had given to me. i was devastated to find out i had herpes and still it up sets me and i hate having the talk with long term partners and am always vigilant! but i do feel lucky because i have read so many herpes stories online and my heart goes out to people with extreme cases. i have only had an ob two times months apart and since then i have not had any. i constantly check and always use protection and would never risk giving it to anyone because it is horrible! it has such a strong stigma to it like hiv does....but it should. life can go on!!! but you still must be careful even if we don't have ob's. your not a walking diseas!! and as long as we are careful we all can have great sex lives

Shame on the person who did that to you. He must be a really horrible person. Someone needs to infect him with a virus and say the same.

I was just reading up on that actually because I had an outbreak and was diagnosed with it 2 years ago but I haven't had one since.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have only had 1 outbreak and have had herpes for 5 years. I have been w my boyfriend for almost a year and he never come to me and said he had any blisters on his penis

You still have it. 

How can you still have a disease that you once had if when you are tested for it now with a blood test you get a negative result?

Is that what happened with you ?

did u get the out outbreak external or internal ?

*did u get the outbreak internal or external and do u use condoms ? I got my first huge outbreak 2 months ago now and I hope I don't get another one

So you were able to have kids? And everything was okay? Because I have a similar situation to yours and I'm beyond terrified I won't be able to have children without passing.

My Tests have returned Negative results as well..
I was unknowingly "infected". I had all the symptoms and visuals of Herpes, lasting maybe 1-2 1/2 weeks. A hospital doctor took one look and diagnosed me (without taking any tests) . I took the prescribed medication for everything, and the outbreak slowly went away. I then began regarly seeing an OBGYN, both a swab and blood test were taken and my results are Negative. I still wonder what that's about