I've had a very bad sore throat for a week with swollen tonsils and swollen lymph nodes under my jaw and in the back of my neck. I also developed a large and very painful swollen section on my soft palate that is white along with canker sores on my lip. However, the pain is isolated on one side now, but even worse than it was a few days ago. I've been running a mild fever and I'm drooling quite a bit. I've been to the doctor twice already. Strep test was negative, mono test was negative and they're running a full panel on a throat culture. They found no abscesses in my throat. Two doctors had no idea what it was. I'm on 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day, but it is only effective for a few hours. I was also given Azithromycin. Anyone have any clue as to what this could be? Thanks

It sounds like you're having something like I am suffering from as well. Mine started out with a lot of canker sores, swollen lip, then my lymph nodes started swelling and the next day I ended up having over 10 canker sores all over my mouth (tongue, inside lip, cheeks and even on my tonsils). I went to my dentist and she thought it might be an initial outbreak of herpes simplex (the one that causes cold sores). I didn't have cold sores ever before and there didn't appear to be any on my lips but my lips were very dry and cracked and what looked like a lot of holes. I kept getting more and more canker sores everyday (probably up to 40 by now). My tongue, lips, cheek and throat were very swollen. My throat hurt so much that swallowing water was even difficult, i didn't want to talk or eat.

The dentist put me on an antiviral medication, acyclovir, 200mg 5 times a day. I've been taking it for 4 days now, along with some home remedies. She also prescribed me 2% lidocaine rinse to numb your mouth for a little while. Additionally, I am rinsing my mouth 2-3 times with hydrogen peroxide (mixed one part peroxide with 2 parts water) and swishing it and gurgling it a few times. It stings a bit, but give it 5 minutes and your mouth feels better. I've found that the sores shrink in size and heel faster than most of my canker sores in the past do (when i've had one or two) and don't treat them at all. I'm also drinking a lot of water and milk. I find the milk soothing. I am also eating yogurt (with probiotics). First few bites sting but I also find this the most soothing thing to eat because its cold and it seems to make my sores not hurt for awhile. I'm also taking vitamin supplements (vitC, vitB complexes, zinc, folic acid) and also taking acidophilus pills to boost my probiotics (especially since i'm rinsing my mouth with peroxide which kills everything, even the good bacteria). I'm using a lot of lip balm just to keep my lips moist. I don't know if it is anything alone that is helping but the sores have finally stopped forming and i'm finally feeling much better....i'm on day 6 of this and am praying it goes away very soon. This is by far one of the most painful things i've had to deal with. Best of luck!

hi there this sound exactly llike I got its the worst kind of pain I have ever been through how long did the acyclovir take to work and how long did it take for everything clear up. I have blisters at the side of my tongue, cheek, lips and throat I cannot drink water or eat if been to the docs 4 Times now and nothing seems to work do u know any remedies to ease the pain or reduce the swelling. any answers would be much appreciated thanks x

This sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with right now.  I'm on day 2-3 depending on what point you start the clock.  AT this point, the pain from the dozens (hundreds, it feels like?) tiny mouth ulcers is still pretty intense.  Though I had acupuncture treatment today, which helped a great deal with my swollen glands, throbbing head, ringing ears.  Most notably, it eased up the pain in my throat so that it now tolerable and I can swallow without difficulty.  Much swelling went down, but my tongue and lips are still quite swollen and my lips are still dry and cracking.  My acupuncturist gave me some herbal pellets to take 3x day, and recommended that I use a bitter yellow herb that I've used before to keep my tummy protected when I travel overseas, to make that into a paste, mix with water and swish with it.  It seems to help some, but still tense with pain.  She also recommended force feeding water.  And staying warm and dry, in a safe and quiet place- no exciting TV or reading anything that is distressing- no work projects, etc.  But that's harder than it seems, because I want to stay busy to keep  my mind off how bad this hurts!!  Reading that others suffered for 6-8 days from this, I think I'll go insane if it lasts that long, even though my throat feels better.  Good luck to you Guest1, I hope you are fully healed by now!  Please let me know if you figure out any fabulous options.

same here except mine started with a sore throat for about a month and a half the past tho weeks the ulcers are showing up iv been to the doc several times all test negative, went to the doc today and was told i have APHTHOUS STOMATISIS, but that doesent seem to explain my sore throat for over a month this c**p is miserble

I have this virus or wtv it is too.. None seems to know what it is !!! But what a painful and unpleasant virus. I hope it goes away soon..

I rinse my mouth with very salty water.

One more tip- try taking an over-the-counter antihistamine.  That seems to help quite a bit, along with acupuncture.

Sounds like it can be shingles in the mouth. I think it is what I have

My daughter,fourteen years old, had a cough for for a week then one day her lips swelled up.  The next day she had a swollen tongue.  The next day the mouth sores started to the point where she could not swollow her own spit. She spit her salivia into a bag for two days. The sores went all the way down her throat. By the fourth day we headed for the ER.  The doctor said she had gingivostomatitis.  He said it was the worst case he has seen in ten years.  He gave us steroids, acyclovir and lortab for the pain.  This seemed to help some. The Lortab helped her sleep at night.  It lasted 10 days and was awful.  We tried everything.  She had started using the Sodium Lauryl Sulphate toothpaste 3 weeks earlier.  I am sure the braces did not help either.  She cold only eat bread with butter and summer sausage. The summer sausage was pre-ground and made it easier to chew.  Basically she didn't eat for two to three days.  Do not freak out-it seems really bad but you will get through it!  We did.

Hand foot and mouth disease people! AKA Coxsackie virus type1/2. It's most common in children...but as I found out a few months ago adults do develop it. Starts with a fever, then small red blisters with tiny white centers form. Lasts about 10 days, and is very contagious (though not airborne).

I was in the same boat as all y'all...I'm a mid-20s female and not promiscuous but I automatically thought herpes when I started getting cold sores in my mouth. Sores spread to my nose and fingertips! My doctor, while preparing tests, told me it WAS herpes and he prescribed valacyclovir (valtrex).

Though tests later revealed no STDs free, it's worth noting that the valtrex worked the MINUTE I took the first pill--the pain started going away and the blisters receded. it was amazing. If you get HFMD go to the Dr. for an anti-viral right away.

Hi, I started getting this one big ulcer at the tip of my tongue, almost as I I bit it myself. The next day I got all these little ulcers only on the right side of my tongue, the top of my tongue looked like it had cracks thru it with white patches. I actually tried using a tweezer and gently removed the white on all the ulcers... It hurt so much n sometimes bled but I gargled salt water afterwards and it help so much.
But the next morning, the ulcers were still there but my throat was swollen, the back of my tongue was swollen, it basically seemed like my throat was going to close up. I kept using the salt water, drinking milk and soda water. It is now day 4 and the inside of my lips are sore, my lip is so red and my mouth is dry. This has never happened before but I haven't had the chance to find a doctor, they say the ulcers could be caused by stress or health problems like diabetes.... My friend said she went thru something similar to me a couple of weeks earlier and all she did was use salt water to gargle and even sometimes applying the salt directly onto the ulcers, it hurts but it sorta helped them smaller. She used a toothbrush and brush in circles on her tongue around the mouth and as far back as she could to the throat. Eating soft easy to swallow and plenty milk, water and honey tea. After doing all this for 3 days it pretty much disappeared. No doctors. I'm going to try hold out for 1 more day before I go to the doctors. Hopefully it is nothing more serious than it is.

This sounds exactly like what I have got ! I was ill a couple of days ago and wasn’t holding food down running a temp etc. When suddenly on one of the days what appears to be a cold sore shows up. Never had one before. Then a couple of days later I’m not sick any more but still have this sore on my lip and a sore throat. However the sores multiplied and I now have loads on my lips and inside my mouth! I really need to go to the doctors . I’ve been looking up trying to figure out what this is and whether it’s the herpes cold sores I have all over my lips and in my mouth. My throat is very sore and my lymph nodes are swollen.