I have been married fo 12 years and my husband has never had an "outbreak". I was starting to wonder if I had been misdiagnosed.13 years ago I had 2 small cuts on my vagina. It burned during urination. My gyn at the time said it was herpes even though the culture was negative. I have seen pictures of herpes cases and I experience no blisters or scabs. This has happened to me about 8 times over the years and I took valtrax for a few days and I would be fine. I have a skin condition that has been called keratosis pilaris . Latley I have been experiencing a wide aray of new symptoms headaches, calf tightness, frequent sinus infections,joint pain and other muscle pain, fatigue...Help. :cry:

I was married ten years and my wife never experienced any symptoms. I have flakes on average of once a year. Was I mos diagnosed?

your story is very similar to mine except that im not married. i am with a differnt partner than i was a year ago, that's when i was diagnosed. my current partner shows no symptoms but has not been to a doctor's to check if he is positive. my culture test was neg. but i went back for the second time and it came back positive. i take valtrex every now and then and some times i think i have misdiagnosed because i do not have the cauliflower outbreak as some pictures show, i just get a lot of itching and redness and bleeding if i dont treat it for a few days. i would go back and get some more bloodwork done. i wish there was a cure for this. goodluck

Nine months ago I went to see my doctor because I had large bumps on my vagina as well as pain during urination and overall irritation. The doctor did a culture test as well as a blood test. She told me that I would have to wait a few weeks in order for the virus to show up in my blood. But she told me that she has seen many cases of herpes 2 and that she was 95% positive that I had the virus.

When your doctor tells you something like that you believe them. She prescribed me suppressive therapy with acyclovir twice a day or five times a day if I felt an outbreak coming on. The last nine months have been terrible. I have been popping these pills twice a day and spending lots of money and time going to the pharmacy each month. My dating life has been awful. Although I have dated some really wonderful guys with great potential, I always ended the relationship before it got serious and intimate because I didn't want to tell them. I felt so ashamed.

A few weeks ago I returned to the clinic where I was diagnosed in order to get retested and because my prescription had run out. This time I saw another doctor. I was retested and my blood test came back negative! I talked to the doctor whom I last saw and she told me that I had contracted herpes 1 on my genitals from having oral sex. Herpes 1 is not nearly as serious as herpes 2. I was relieved of course, but also felt remorse that I had listened to this other doctor who I found out was just some rookie. I had thrown away some great relationships when I thought I was positive and I even felt suicidal at one point because I felt like no one would ever love me.

I wanted to tell my story to emphasize the importance on getting a second opinion whenever you see a doctor. I wish that I had sooner.

Hi Janey83,

Thanks for posting your comment, I was told in 95 at the ER that I have herpes, (can't remember if they did the blood test) this was just after I got married, I was really upset but didn't occur to me at the time how much this will affect my life in future,.My ex husband was the first guy I had sex with. I've been divorced now for several years and just started dating again, found a great guy but had to tell him about it and just as I thought, it changed a lot of things and this is when I realized how lonely I will be in future because of having herpes. I recently read articles online and and noticed how herpes could be misdiagnosed, I decided to go to the doc and had a blood test done, I haven't had an outbreak after the first time (except for little irritation from time to time). I noticed my ex husband never even had an outbreak, I've had a child and even throughout my pregnancy there were no outbreaks. I'm just hoping that when I get the results It would be negative, waiting has been stressful itself. I feel like how can I get this from the first guy I slept with. He's remarried for years now and even have kids, i feel very lonely and feel like I better get used to it because who would want to be with someone with herpes and honestly I can't blame him for that.

hello, i have been very stressed lately. my fiance has been incarcerated since feb 2008 & i have never cheated on before in the last 8 years. all of a sudden i met this teacher, very nice, attractive, kind loving! so in sept 08 i decided to go ahead & give him some ( with protection) 4 times in 1 week all protection! the first time the condom broke as he was coming up... we imediately replaced it. two days after that i decided to go to the doctor just to get tested from the broken condom.... results came back positive for hsv 1 & 2 but negative for all other diseases. i have never had a outbreak but my fiance has has a very bad cheating problem prior to his jail sentence. how do i know who is the blame????? i went to the dr in 2007 complaining of vaginal discharge they tested me for gonnorea & clamydia but not herpes! if they had of tested me for everything like i requested i would know who gave it to me but they didnt. to make a long story short.... since the disagnosis i have been having brownish blood & frequent bleeding........ never happened to me before. none of these symptoms occured before i had sex with this other guy! also should i add i have always had alot of discharge because me & my fiance have never used unprotected sex,,,,, in the past my fiance has given me 3 diseases but all curable... this time its not curable! first how do i tell my fiancee when he gets out that i have herpes? i told the other guy but he says his girlfriend has been tested & she doesnt have anything....... he has been there emotionally but we have not had sex since them. if he had herpes already would he be trying to have sex with me, at least with a condom! he doesnt try. he just flirts with me alot & tries to keep my spirit up! since it has been 2 months since i found out about the herpes & i have npt had a outbreak is it possible that i was mis diagnosed. the results said my equivocal is 1.09 which is barely over the required diagnosis! anything over 1.00 is considered positive? please help me somebody!

I am only young to many people but i too have had my battle with a misdiagnosis, at least thats what i'm told. I had a smear test which was performed by a girl who was only learing, the "duck beak" as i call it slammed closed and pinched the skin inside my vagina. A few days after this smear test i started feeling ill, i'd liken it to blood poisening/ a bad infection. I went to the doctor who couldn't find anything wrong with me but tested a sore i had none the less.
I was told i supposedly had genital herpes.
I'm not the sort who sleeps with many guys, i don't cheat, don't do one night stands and my partner at that time had never experienced any kind of out break.
I lived for a year believing i had herpes, i got depressed and almost lost my job. I refused to date and got used to the idea of never dating again. I threw myself into my carear so i had some thing to focus on.
After a year of trying to force my body to have an outbreak (i tryed everything that was ment to bring one on) i finally went to another doctor demanding to be retested.
He told me there was no test, however after a long arguement and me explaining why i wanted to be retested he concluded that i was misdiagnosed. I was so angery that i'd lived with that for a year!!!
I should have known because the clinic i got tested at has misdiagnosed me for clamydia before!
Its been two and a half years, my fieance knows about my std scare but i don't think he understand quite how its messed me up.
To those of you facing the same things as me, a lack of self worth, a fear of somthing happening again, low moments i hope it does get easier.

Grrr-this kind of stuff always frustrates me! I can't believe some doctors are still only doing visual or culture tests for Herpes. I've even heard of some drs that claim there isn't even a blood test for it. It's total BS. My husband has had asymptomatic HSV 2 for 5 years now (from before we got married) so he doesn't ever get outbreaks. Since he's never even had any symptoms, the only way he could have even found out was from the blood test! I get myself checked too, about every 6 months, to keep myself updated. Every doctor should be able to run the HSV 1&2 test but I just use an online service, , that always gets me results in a couple days. Way cheaper and faster!

Sorry to those who have been misdiagnosed from a doctor. I can only imagine how rough that must be. I'd say always get tested and retested when it comes to something like herpes. It's not easy to live with but it's easier when you know for sure what you have or don't have.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

So do you guys have unprotected sex?

I would like to thank you guys so much for posting all your comments and experiences up. I just came back from planned parenthood because I noticed some sores in my private area. But I thought it was due to the fact that my underwear was way too tight, sorry if that was too much information. Both my partner and I have both gotten blood test done for HIV and Herpes and both came out negative. She took a visual look and told me that it appears that I have genital herpes. I completely broke down and couldn't contain my emotions because I didn't understand how it was possible if my partner and I both got tested, and vehemently discussed our sexually history and test results. I felt that it was abrasion caused by my underwear which I knew was causing me discomfort and the next day out came the sores. I asked her 3 times and she told me she was adamant about her diagnosis.

I've recently been to my gyn about a bump that had outside of my vagina. I had no irritation only that it stinged a litle bit when I would urinate. When she saw that bump she admittedly said that it was herpes and that it couldn't be anything else. I got the results back and the culture came back positive and the blood work came back negative. My bumps look nothing like the images that I see of herpes and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I have, because I think that I have been misdiagnosed. My partner has no symptoms or any bumps down there. So can someone please help me.

48 :-( genital warts suck, i get them on and off all the time. http://www.foxtreatments.info/hpv helps clear them up but they keep coming back.

I thought my life was over when I learned I had Herpes. But in a way it was a blessing, for I have found my other half on ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed . I may not be religious, but having found He makes me believe that everything happens for a reason. I am still in awe everyday that I have found him and how well we fit together.

So u don have it ?

Hey all, Well about three months  ago I met someone I grew to like and we had sex the first three times protected and another two unprotected (dumbest decisions of my life). we had discussed our sexual history and testing so  thought I could trust her. Well about two weeks after we last had sex, I noticed a group of small blisters on my penis.  Long story short I got swab tested and the rresults came back negative and so were hers. I felt relieved until I got two more blisters and got another full STD test which I tested positive for HSV 2, since then the girl has been tested again and her results have been negative again, and I am totally confused because she is the only person I have had sex with in the last three years! Could it be that my results the second time were innacurate or the girl is positive but her antibody tests are innacurate. I am totally devestated and even more confused, I plan to get retested.