I truly hope this post helps others in some way.

I have an inoperable ruptured bone on bone disk in L5/S1 (on top of tailbone) with bilateral (both legs) SCIATICA causing EXCRUCIATING leg (in the back only from butt to ankles) & low back pain since 2001. I also now have four new ruptured disks in my neck (C3-C7) with several pinched nerves, (2) heart attacks from Vioxx (2004-05), & Myasthednia Gravis (2006, rare form of MD).

I was on 200mg a day (increased gradually) of Methadone from a hospital pain management clinic for 7-years. At first they tried every non-narcoric medication & only 3600mg THREE times a day of Neurontin (on since 2001) did anything to relieve some pain- I could only take it every other day/every third day or I'd have HIGH resistance. I've always had a high tolerance to almost all medications since childhood & build resistance quickly- Morphine, Hydrocodone/Oxycodone, Valium, Versaid, N-saids, Tylenol, Muscle Relaxers, sleep aids, etc. have absolutely NO EFFECT on me! This is why Methadone worked. It stays in your system still working partially for 2 or more days after taking none. Uneducated/uncaring doctors automatically categorize this as addiction: PERIOD & IT IS NOT! I can't tell you how many times I've had to do my own research to present to doctors for help because THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! I should be a paid employee!

That clinic started to shrink and get very uncaring and cold-hearted after they bought & bankrupted two other hospitals putting themselves in bankruptcy. Then their own Risk Management Manager quit & told the press that the hospital negligently killed many patients- then destroyed the evidence! They got an all new (couldn't care less attitude) Administration which destroyed the hospital for good. My doctor & his clinic started doing unimaginable things & mistakes. So I complained to the new administation & my doctor dismisseed me as a patient on my next visit with lame excuses I could prove were wrong & the letter wasn't even dated making it legally void. After all that I quit fighting and left quietly. So I sought out a new clinic. THAT WAS THE HARDEST THING I HAD TO DO IN YEARS!
No private clinic would help me because my case was too difficult and they didn't prescribe Methadone at 200mg a day (100mg twice a day). Plus they all required Physical Rehab. which I can't do. The Muscular Dystrophy prevents me from any physical rehab. I cannot do more exercise than I've normally done over the past two years (walking 3-4 city blocks MAX. twice a week) because the MD just makes it worse (severe weakness) and has a reverse effect.

So I found a new BAD REPUTATION hospital and they wouldn't help me unless I went off of Methadone. They tried FOUR different things to get me Methadone decrease help (because they didn't know how, but wouldn't admit it). All four Methadone Clinic (for addicts), or Detox Clinic help FAILED. They refused to take a non-addict??? So I decreased the level myself to 40mg a day after a month (with 200mcg of Fentanyl patches), on my first visit they gave me 40mg of Methadone a month, & 30mg a month the following visit. Then the next visit they took me off Methadone completely. I tried to fight it- but nothing helped. In fact they forced me to go for a Psychological ER evaluation (that's what i got for fighting for my LEGAL rights!). I passed that with flying colors (that ticked off them all)...

They put me on Opana 10mg IR (instant release) q.i.d (four times a day) & 200mcg of Fentanyl. Then the withrawal started 2-days after I was off the Methadone. At this point the Fentanyl no longer was working AT ALL. Just Opana to quit 200mg of Methadone is INSANE! After two ER visits, I had to fake a heart attack to get admitted as a patient. I HATE LYING, BUT I WAS DESPERATE! I even had to spend $500.00 to get three doses of Methadone from a drug addict. I'm living on $1083.00 a month in SSD & my rent for one room (no heat, A/C or a stove) is $350.00 a month. I know buying it like that is stupid, but when your pain is 10/10 & no one seems to care about your severe withdrawal, you will do crazy things! I was vomiting violently, cold/hot sweats, diarhea, shaking, etc. for 7-days. The vomiting caused my neck to get worse, I couldn't & still cannot feel three fingers on both hands...

In the hospital they gave me Morphine Sulphate (every six hours) which stopped the withdrawal completely. That makes sense since Methadone (Dolphine) was created specifically to stop Morphine addiction/withdrawal. So I was released to the Pain Management clinic after three days. I had to talk the doctor into giving me Morphine & I'd stop the Fentanyl completely, he agreed to MS 15mg IR twice a day. I haven't taken ANY Methadone for 13-days now & no withdrawal for a week. That's the good news, now here's the bad:

I've built a resistance to the Opana & had to double the dose for 3-days to get the pain from 10/10 to 7/10 (the lowwest it's gone in weeks). I thought it may be a sharp pain increase which seems to cycle every two weeks or so & stays at 10/10 for 3-days then stops??? It didn't stop so I called my doctor who told me to go to the ER again. Every time I go to their ER the ER doctor tells me my Pain Management doctor is crazy for telling me to go to the ER! ARE THEY ALL CRAZY!

YOU NEED TO FIGHT FOR YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS! Everyone of us needs to have a copy of the PATIENT RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES. I think every state has adopted these. In NY State I'm in has this and it seems like doctors are shocked when I quote my rights & then they get mad at me. THE HECK WITH THEM, WE PAY (one way or another) CRAZY PRICES FOR THEIR HELP: SO THEY OWE US RESPECT & "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" philosophy.

I'm going to have to go back to the ER Monday and wait 6-14 hours on a 2-inch stretcher mattress for them to address my problem or send me home with NO HELP AT ALL! Wish me luck...

I wish you all the best of health and hope you don't have to fight as hard as I do.

We are all family!

James

WHy won't any emergency room help us get off methadone

I can't use the words that describe the types of docs that treat patients like they are worthless and won't help them in their time of need, even when they come forward asking for the help...damn it..it takes alot of courage for anyone to walk in anyplace and admit they need help and ask for it, then to be turned away with no help whatsoever...Heck, I went to my local emergency room one night after drinking, but with severe stomach pain from my pancreatitis..the doc wouldn't treat me, said I was fine, then called the local police and had me put into protective custody at the county jail..well...during the night I got alot worse and by time I was allowed to leave and go back to the er, my pancreas had burst and I ended up with retro-peritoneal abscesses which were so mind blowing painful..I almost lost it!!! All I know is that there is a place in Vermont, that does all types of detox, and the docs there are without a doubt the best in the biz!!! There should be many more places that should learn from them!! Unfortunately, unless you want to do the long detox with methadone or suboxone from a clinic..a inpatient detox may be the answer..it isn't for everyone, but it is an option! I wish you well!!!

Opiatefreeme wrote:

K737 wrote:

BTW...I was on 360 mgs of methadone a day and I stopped abruptly and ended up in the ICU..so be careful on whatever you choose to do!

You have been thru the wringer, and its hard to keep reading your post without cringing. I've been on methadone for 31 years, believe it or not, and granted its not perfect, it allows me to live a comfortable life. I was a heroin addict when I got on methadone, 40mgs/day, and over those 30 years, I'm on 170mgs/day now. Over years of use your tolerance does go up and dosage increases are normal. Heroin is what messed me up, not methadone. Methadone saved my life and allowed me to live normally again. Methadone clinics used to have limits on dosages but most do not now. That's between you and the doctor to get what you need in your individual case. Why don't you just get back on a public methadone clinic at an adequate dosage and live your life. Forget all the other drugs, just take methadone and that's it. You have been thru too much hell already and you shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed about methadone. Do what works for you. Best of Luck, RR

Thank you RR. Best of luck to you as well! Stay strong everyone, its a long process but I've been coming down slowly from 150 mg and am now down to 92 mgs. I have them lower me every other Tuesday 5 points at a time. First I tried 2 points, then 3, then 4 every other week until I reached what felt comfortable. Just go at your own pace and if you can get comfort meds to help like clonidine (used to lower blood pressure or for withdrawal) and something for sleep. Even hydroxyzine is good for anxiety or sleep. The best of luck to you all. Your definitely not alone. k737

Opiatefreeme, I have to tell you that it even hurts me to read all you have been thru! Concerning the different hospitals and ER's a person goes to,I know exactly what u mean. In my life I've been to ER's 4 times for withdrawal sickness and only 1 actually did the right thing and treated me for it on the spot. It was the main hospital in San Angelo Texas, and my BP was 220/145 and I was so damn sick I was squirming around and all that. They hit me with Morphine and a huge shot of Ativan which hurt like hell cause its so thick, but I didn't care. I couldn't even walk out of there for 2 hrs I was so out of it. LOL But they got me thru that with kindness and compassion and I'll never forget those wonderful people. However, if I got treated like you did, somebody would get sued over that sh*t. I hope you are in a better place in your life now. Life is just too short to have to suffer like that. No one should have to go thru what you did. Best of luck to ya. RR

Try getting a job with methadone in your system. They started testing for it.

I tried an emergency room once. They gave me a shot of demerol and a script for pain meds.

After being on methadone for 31 yrs now I've developed a certain mental outlook about the situation. I've accepted the fact that I will be dependent on narcotics like methadone permanently because I simply can't deal with the withdrawal and the inevitable cravings that results. I've tried many times and simply cannot maintain an acceptable lifestyle off of drugs, so I'm basically a legal addict who gets 180mg of methadone every day. It works. Methadone treatment today is different today because your dosage is determined on an individual basis with no arbitrary limits on daily dosage. If it takes 50mg or 500mg for someone to successfully be on the maintenance program, then so be it. Methadone can stop the fatal cycle of using opiates orally or IV and allow you to function pretty close to normal. It does work and that's why its used. Now getting off of it is the problem. I'm convinced that its the most difficult drug to withdraw from physically and mentally, period. Its a b***h. But if it helps you stay alive and live a decent life then its worth it to me. Now James, I know you have been thru hell and back, but the only thing I can tell you is to take the drug that allows you to live without pain and misery. You may never be off ALL drugs. Is that such a bad thing? There is no magical way to detox off methadone. People will always be prejudicial about it, so you have to decide what you are going to settle for. My situation is different so my solution has been a little different. It doesn't bother me to take lots of methadone for life. Because its worth it to me to be on it. Is it for you? Thats up to you, friend.

It does work for a lot of people. I can't get take homes because I'm prescribed 2 zannex a day for anxiety so because its a benzo I have to get up at 5 every morning and go wait in line. If I didn't have to go there daily, plus groups and counseling and through snow storms, I wouldn't feel so rushed to get off of it. I'm down to 62 mg from 150 mg. I wish you all the best of luck. I come down 5 every other Tuesday. Find what works best for you and don't let anyone rush you. God bless you guys, your not alone. One day at a time. Kim

I'm sort of confused about your letter. You were on a methadone clinic at a dose of 200mg, right? Did they kick you off the program? The reason I asked is because that dose level is not very unusual nowadays. The clinic I'm on has several people on 300+ and I'm on 180mg. and I do fine. Its $70/week and I pick up once a month. I've been on for many years now and Methadone literally saved my life. I hate to hear you have had problems. Good luck to ya. Rodney

I know this post is from a long time ago, but can't help but to reply to it.. I've been on methadone for 4 1/2 years and have a great job they tested for everything and I tested positive for methadone and guess what I have a prescription and the drug testing company reports a negative screen back to the employer with a prescription. Also I went a step further even though I didn't have to and wrote down I was on methadone on the original app before testing and everything and the company I work for their doctor asked me about it and I was honest and I got the job. No company can not hire u if u have a prescription the only cases would be if u was going to be a pilot for an airline or something.

Well said! I'm not getting high and doing all the behaviors that come with active addiction since I'm on done. No different than an allergy pill everyday for you to function normally if used correctly and not abused (another discussion for another time)

I've been on 200mg of Methadone for 17 years now and I'm 62 years old and I still hate it and hate the fact that I have to pay $240 a month forever also. I had to also except that I will probably be on it the rest of my life because I couldn't imagine spending even a year of doing less and less. Oh well.