Hey everyone. Folks from my family (father, grandmother, sister and one close cousin) have problems with heart. Those are all different types of the diseases and tnx God those issues are life - threatening so there is no scare for them. I assume :/ Now, I am at huge panic that my kid (her name is Lana and she is 13 years old) will develop some of those heart diseases. I want to prevent this if I can, of course. So, can you tell me and give me some advice what can I do about heart disease prevention? Thank you. 

Hey there.

Actually, you can do a lot about it. Those are small things that you can do but they are amazingly helpful in preventing heart diseases and some other diseases as well. So, if you are a smoker, you should stop smoking and using tobacco in any kind. This is one of the most significant risk factor for developing heart diseases. It is well known that carbon monoxide in cigarettes replaces oxygen in your blood. Also, you should exercise 30 minutes per day or at least 3 to 4 times per week. Healthy lifestyle program and eating plan is very important as well.  

Hey there.
I assume that those are some good preventing options, but what about some medications. Is it really necessary to ask a doctor to give her some preventing medications? I am extremely worried because of it and I really want her to be healthy. Maybe it is too early to think about this because she is only 13 but I believe that you understand me. What are the best medications in this case? Can I ask a doctor to recommend some of them, maybe some beta blockers?

Hey there.

Look, I understand that you are scare and that you are concerned, of course that is your little girl. But I think that you are in a huge panic. First, you can't think about beta blockers and some other medications especially because she is not having any heart issues at the moment. Maybe she has some predisposition to have it. but she is still healthy, right? Don't ask your doctor about this because he will tell you the same thing like I did. On the other side, you can ask him about some advice, how to take a proper care and how to prevent it. He will maybe recommend you a good diet program and a good exercise program to her. 

Hey Gerard,

First of all, you shouldn't be possibly considering taking medications in this case. Medications cannot in any way be used in order to prevent heart disease, and you shouldn't even try it.

On the other hand, if your daughter has predisposition to have a heart disease, then she should live her life as healthy as she can in order to prevent these. There is no better prevention for heart disease than a healthy lifestyle. Try not to allow her to start smoking cigarettes, it can sometimes be hard to get teens away from it but it is a serious risk factor for heart disease.

Hey everyone,

Stradivarius is right, Gerard, medications are totally out of the question so don't even consider that option. If she is a healthy girl, you are already on a good path. If she likes to play any kind of sports, try to put her in a team for that or something. If she doesn't, well, talk to her, there's got to be some sport that she enjoys.

It might be hard for a girl her age to start living healthy and it might take a while for her to get used to it, but once she gets used to it, she is going to be grateful for that.

Hi Gerard,

I'd advise you that whatever you do, don't tell her anything about heart diseases. You know how teens are, sensitive about literally anything and you really don't want to scare her with the talk about heart diseases which can be really, really dangerous, as you already know.

If you are not living a healthy life yourself, you should set an example for her. Eat together and eat healthy, go exercising together, play some sports together, any kind of sports, just make it some sort of an exercise. Like other told you, healthy lifestyle is the best possible prevention for heart diseases.

Hi guys,

You're right Adria, he definitely shouldn't talk to her about it. I mean, she is 13 years old, what does she even know about heart diseases? And since she is 13, she doesn't even need to know about that, you need to fill her brain with positive stuff, not negative.

It's a good idea for you to set an example for her, not only will it do good for her, but it will also do good for you as well. Father and daughter team, it doesn't get better than that. Regular exercising, healthy eating habits and you are good to go.

Hello there.

Like others already told you, you can do a lot of things to prevent heart diseases.I think that you should exercise. It is nothing that hard and I do know that sometimes it is very hard to get used on it, to have this habit to exercise, but it is going to become routine in your life. You should exercise three or four times a week, and you can exercise about 30 minutes. That is just enough. Also, you should have good eating menu and good eating plan. It is very important to find the perfect balance. Good luck.