i AM 5 ALMOST 6 MONTHS PREGNANT. i HAVE A HISTORY OF PANIC DISORDER AND PREGNANCY HAS MADE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH. I have problems eating, sleeping, and keeping my food down due to my nerves. Does the benefits of anxiety meds outweigh the risks to the baby given my present situation?

Hi Kornfreak,

CONGRATS on your pregnancy, first off. I will suggest that you talk to your OBGYN, he/she will know best. But just a few questions, ok?

What kind of medication are you/would you be taking for anxiety? When you know the med you will be taking, when you go to your OBGYN, and talk to him/her.... each of these medications wether they be for anxiety, depression, blood pressure, etc., the medication has a PREGNANCY CATEGORY. The pregnancy category will tell you how dangerous the drug is to the baby, and what the possible side effects are.

The side effects are usually done with regular studies, although not every one person is the same. If you look in a book that lists drugs and their usages, usually they will also contain a pregnancy category. I believe it goes from A-D.

BE SURE TO TALK TO YOUR OBGYN AND DISCUSS YOUR WORRIES, AND ALSO ANY QUESTIONS.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing.

Hizgrace