Hey everyone. I didn't realize that I am dealing with a huge problem until my husband came home with the doctor telling me that I really need help. Well, to cut long story short I am being a hypochondriac and my husband is telling me that I am in this condition for no reason (I believe that I am because I have really good and normal life). Anyway, very often this condition leads to the anxiety and it is hard for me to handle with it. 

So, I really need to ask you for advice. Health Anxiety Treatment? How to Stop Being a Hypochondriac?

Tnx a lot!

Hey there Shemiz.

You need to tell us for how long you are being in this condition? I see, you haven't notice it, but your husband did and what he told you about this? For how long you are in this condition and what are the things that make you feel like this?

Anyway, sometimes you really need an expert to help you in this condition. You should know that hypochondria or other called health anxiety is excessive worrying about your health, to the point where it causes great distress and affects your everyday life. You must have notice that you worry about certain things in your life and your health, right? 

Hey there. Thank you for being here for me so quickly. Yes, I understand. I am extremely worried about my health even if I never was seriously sick (tnx God). But my hubby told me that ever since I gave a birth to our twin boys, I am in constant fear that something is wrong with me. One day for example I was sure that I had a fever, and I didn't have it. The next day I felt something weird in my belly and I was sure that this is a cancer. It was nothing as well. But still I didn't see that I am in problem. Anyway, now when he told me this and when he came one day in our house with doctor, I notice that I am really in serious problem. And to be honest, I am really scared.

Yes, I see. Well, there is not that much that you can do to help yourself. Sure, someone who is an expert can help you a lot, but I can see that people in here have a lot of problem to consult someone who is an expert and I don't know why.

Anyway, here is what you can do to try to help yourself in this condition. For example, keeping a diary of your preoccupations and symptoms, and counteracting them with realistic and rational thinking. Once you start with this, you will see what is your biggest worry. Than you maybe will be aware of this problem as well. 

Shemiz, there is nothing bad if you try to heal this condition that you are dealing with some good antidepressants. I know that a lot of people are against them, but I am not because they helped me in my worse conditions when I was a biggest hypochondriac ever. Anyway, you should know that antidepressants may be helpful if you have a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety. Your doctor can directly prescribe antidepressants or refer you to a mental health specialist for treatment, so that means that you need to look up for your doctor and seek for the best advice and antidepressant. Anyway, even if I am for it, you should know that treating your symptoms with medication is not always the answer and the possible benefits of medication can be canceled, because they can always have some side - effects.

You are already suffering from anxiety, Shemiz, hypochondria is just a type of anxiety.

Anxiety is one of the hardest disorders to treat, it goes alongside with depression.

You could use antidepressants as someone already recommended it for you, but I think that you should consult with a psychologist first. A psychologist should be in charge of which medications you take and about how you are going to treat this. I guess that he is going to recommend you to start eating healthy foods, to start exercising, especially running, and he probably won't let you use medications immediately, maybe after some time.

Gaia is right, consulting with a psychologist would be the best thing for you to do, but you should consult with your doctor as well. I think that the doctor should be the one to tell you which medications to use and not your psychologist.

It is very important to have someone stick around you during this period of treating hypochondria because you will need someone to be there for you. You should pay attention to what your psychologist is telling you and you should do what he tells you to do, if you are strong enough, you should be able to overcome this.

Maybe you are not suffering from any health issues but believing that you are can also lead to some conditions and disorders, did you know that?

Nobody can simply tell you how to stop being a hypochondriac. I don't think that you can ever completely treat this, you can only learn how to cope with it and how to push away these thoughts when they occur. I guess nobody can really help you more than a psychologist, other than him, I don't think that anyone would be able to help you. It is indeed useful to have someone stick around while going through all of this.

I don't want to be negative here but with your attitude you are unlikely to "stop being a hypochondriac" because in order to manage this, you have to be strong and you have to actually do something about this and since you didn't do a thing yet, I kind of doubt that you will do it in the time to come.

You need to change your lifestyle, eat healthy foods, avoid alcohol, leave cigarettes, start exercising, running on a daily basis would be great, you should start seeing a psychologist, you should go on trips and you should meet new people.

It is a very evil disorder, it messes up with your brain. My aunt is suffering from hypochondria and I simply cannot stand her. She is always complaining how sick she is and how she has to visit her doctor and how she is going to die and stuff like that. I don't know what she is doing in order to overcome this, but I don't think that she is doing anything. Her doctor told her to talk to a psychologist but she doesn't want to do that because she thinks that there is nothing wrong with her, that she is mentally healthy.