I have recently met a person suffering from anxiety and he didn't seem any different than anyone else, but he told me that anxiety is hard and that it is messing with him, with his brain and things like that, I have to admit that it sounded incredibly scary.

I don't know much about anxiety so I was hoping that someone here might tell me something about it because I want to understand people better, I want to understand him better. What exactly does anxiety do to your brain and what could someone possibly do in order to treat this?

First, you need to understand what anxiety is. Anxiety is a sense of fear and apprehension that puts you on alert. For example, most people get anxious when they get pulled over by a cop, they get nervous. Some guys get nervous when they go to talk to a girl they like or the other way around, these are all types of anxiety. However, this anxiety, the "real" anxiety that we are talking about is making you nervous most of the time for completely irrelevant things so just try to imagine you being nervous all the day and upset without a particular reason.

Hi there.

I think that this is not that complicated to understand but maybe it is a little bit harder to explain. But, I will try because I was reading a lot about it and I think that I am one of the most boring persons ever when it comes to anxiety. 

First, you should understand that several parts of our brain are main key actors in the producing fear and anxiety. In those occasions we can say that our brain becomes a little bit weird when it has anxiety and anxiety attacks.

Brain is really powerful and sometimes we can't control it...

Ugh, that is really difficult topic to discuss because, like mrs Sick and Tired already told you, brain is really powerful and - I would add; unpredictable.

There are so many professional terms when it comes to your brain, so I would not talk about this. I am sure that I will make mistake in this case. Anyway, the feeling of anxiety is part of your body's stress response and of course that it will attack your brain. Your fight or flight response is triggered, and your system is flooded with norepinephrine and cortisol. 

I believe that you now can see the bigger picture. 

Let's see, not so many people are suffering from anxiety and if this is related to brain, if anxiety messes with your brain, then there is something wrong with the brains of the people who are suffering from anxiety, right, did I get it right? One of my aunts is suffering from anxiety and I am telling you, she is unbearable, there has to be something wrong with her brain. She even makes me nervous when I see how nervous she is. I am not sure what anxiety does with anyone's brain but I'm definitely sure that it is not good at all.

No, there is nothing wrong with their brains, there is something wrong in the way they think and how they perceive things. If you experienced anxiety you would be talking in a totally different way, Number23, I hope that you get the chance to feel it just to stop talking like you are talking right now.

It is a hard life with anxiety, you are always nervous, always worried, you have bunch of different side effects and if you want to use medications, these are going to make you so numb that you won't even be able to feel happiness anymore, it's horrible.

Hm...different opinions in here. I am really not sure which one is the best of all, because like somebody already told in here - brain is really powerful and you can never be sure what can happen with you. Your experience with something doesn't have to necessarily mean that the same thing will happen to someone else. It is the same with anxiety.

Anxiety can affect your brain and do something with it totally differently than some other person.

But generally, depression and anxiety can damage your brain and it is a serious and meaningful issue for people who have mood and anxiety disorders.