Hello, guys. I was bit by a tick several days ago. I got it removed, but yesterday I got fever and swollen lymph nodes. I think I might have Lyme disease. Doctors are not sure about this. I would like to know how I can be sure whether I have such a disease or not. Thank you in advance.

Hello. Signs and symptoms of Lyme disease are not specific. The diagnosis cannot be made only upon these criteria. If you don’t have a typical rash, some additional lab tests are required. The test that is most often used to detect this disease is ELISA test. It detects antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi – a bacterium that is responsible for this disease. When this test is positive, another must be done to confirm diagnosis. This test is called Western blot test. It detects several different types of antibodies that refer to different proteins of Borrelia. There is a more expensive method that detects bacterium’s DNA in joint fluid. This test is called PCR, but it cannot detect DNA in blood or urine.