IN 1997 I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LYME DISEASE. I WENT THRU THE NORMAL 30 DAY ANTIBIOTIC DRUG DIAOXICICLINE AT THAT TIME. I HAVE HAD NUMEROUS BLOOD CHECKS SINCE THAT TIME. NOW AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS I TOOK ANOTHER BLOOD TEST AND AM TOLD THAT I HAVE A REOCCURANCE. WAS ALSO TOLD WITH THE NEWEST TESTING METHOD THAT THEY ESTIMATED THAT THIS REOCCURANCE CAME BACK WITHIN THE LAST 9-21 DAYS. ONCE AGAIN I WAS PUT ON DIOXYCLINE. IS THIS POSSIBLE TO DIAGNOSE THE TIME ELEMENT FOR THE REOCCURENCE AND HAS THE LYME BEEN IN MY SYSTEM ALL THESE YEARS AND IS JUST SHOWING UP AGAIN? PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...THANK YOU

I am assuming that you did not get bitten by a deer tick again within the past few weeks and get reinfected. Yes, the bacteria can lay dormant for many years and be held in check by your immune system. Your 30-day antibiotic regiment in 1997 apparently did not kill off all the bacteria, but merely kept them at bay at an undetectable level. The new bugs that came back are likely to be resistant to the antibiotic that you first used, and more aggressive treatment may be necessary.