Hey everyone.

I found this lovely kitty three months ago. I don’t know what breed she is. It doesn’t matter.

It was a love at first sight. When I saw her, her leg was in really bad condition.

I took her and since that time I am taking a good care of her.

She received all vaccinations that she needed but I am still afraid and skeptical about rabies vaccine.

One of my friends told me that I should vaccine her, some of them told me that I shouldn’t.

What do you think?

Is it OK to do this? If it is, when to get rabies vaccine for cats?

Tnx in advance.

Hi Aria,

Your kitten NEEDS the rabies vaccination.  That's the only one I'd get.

It's just too easy for a cat to get rabies and pass it on.  You don't want to risk it.

Hey medic – dan.
Thank you for quick reply.

As I already told you, my cat is still kitten. My vet told me that she is between one and three months old.
About this rabies vaccine my vet told me that I should do this.
When I was telling this to my good friend, she told me that she is a little bit skeptical about it.
I don’t know what to think.

If I listen to your advice, when should I do this?
Is my kitten still too young to get it or it is a time for it?

I am sorry for so many questions but I don’t know that much about it.

Greetings.

Aria

They're usually vaccinated around 2-3 months old, check with a vet.

Without the vaccine, if your kitten gets rabies it is fatal. You'd likely also need a series of rabies shots, it's spread via saliva.

Even an indoor cat should be vaccinated. Your cat can get out, get bitten by another animal, and then become infected. In some cases your cat would have to be quarantined for several months to make sure it is not infected.

Many places have low cost vaccination clinics.

I'm not a fan of routine vaccination but this is the one I'd get.

Hey you two,

I’m not really sure about this. Rabies vaccine is known to do more bad than good. But again, medic-dan has a good point here: your cat is often out there where she can get this disease which is then dangerous for you, too.  When it comes to time for vaccination, you are supposed to do it when she is still a kitten: somewhere between eight and twelve weeks old. If she is older than that, she can get it anytime. She is also supposed to get this vaccine again every single year.

As I said, I’m not sure if you should give it to your cat. I don’t have a cat currently, but I have a dog, and I didn’t give him this shot.

Hey everyone,

@Dalmatian_lover I think that you should give this vaccine to your pup. @Aria It does have some bad side effects but your kitty is going to get through this.

This vaccine is usually given to your kitten when she is two months and a week or two old. It can be given later as well; it can be given at anytime actually if you didn’t give it to her when she was a kitten.

Rabies vaccine is also re-given every year. I don’t honestly think that this is necessary, and I know a few vets that happen to agree with me. You should know too that rabies vaccine can cause life threatening issues to your cat/dog (in extreme cases).

Hey there.

No matter what I have heard lately, I have to agree with medic – dan totally.

You need to vaccinate your cat, she needs to get rabies vaccine.

It is one of the vaccines that are on the “must” list.

Your cat needs to receive rabies vaccine when she is eight or 12 months old.

I remember that one of my neighbors refused to take her cat to the vet when she needed to receive rabies vaccine.

She didn’t do this because someone told her to avoid it.

Later her cat became really ill. Something struck her.

Think once again, please!

Hey there.

My Hope still didn’t receive this shot :/ Um, I am not really sure what to do since I have heard that rabies vaccine have a lot of side effects and that is why I am not sure.

Now I am reading all of those posts and I still don’t know what to do.

My friend also told me that my Hope should receive this shot especially because I found her on the street, in front of my door.

What are the worst side effects that can happen to her and what I should do in case that this happens?

Hey guys,

I’m kind of stuck in between these two options. To give the rabies shot to your cat or not. I have a dog who did not receive his rabies shot because I don’t want him to, but it’s kind of different for cats. They are outside most of the time and they fight a lot with other cats or any other animals.

I guess that, if I had a cat, I would give her a rabies shot. It’s safer that way, and the side effects that your talking about above, the life-threatening ones, are a really rare thing to happen.

You can give this shot to your cat at anytime.

Hey guys,

No need to think a lot about this one Mima, her cat needs to get this vaccine as well as yours, if you ever get one.

It is usually given to kittens when they are about nine weeks old. You need to pay attention more than usual to your cat after she receives this vaccines for it is known for really bad side effects which could lead to eventual death.

In case your cat doesn’t receive rabies vaccine in this specific time, she can receive it at anytime during her life. It is required, after you give this vaccine to your cat for the first time, that you give it to her again in the following years, once a year.

Hey guys,
I’m on the side of the people who decided not to give this vaccine to their cats.
My personal opinion is that this vaccine does less good than bad, since it can easily lead to death or to some additional complications. There are small chances that your cat is ever going to need this vaccine, even though some people say otherwise.
But since you are asking about when to get it, I believe that you can get it anytime you want. It’s advised by the vets that you do this when she is still a kitten, about 2 months old, but I think that it doesn’t really matter.