Thank you to everyone's posts here! Reading this thread has helped keep me sane through the last 6 days.

I'm a 42 year old male and had surgery on the 17th of December. I felt pretty good for the first 3 days - doc gave me very strong NSAIDS and 2 1/2 days of Dilaudid (Hydromorphone). That is until Saturday when I had my first BM. I seriously thought I would go nuts with the burning, spasms and itching afterward - thank God I still had 2 doses of Dilaudid. Now I can understand a character like Gregory House becoming hooked on Vicodin for chronic pain. I can't even imagine what being in the kind of pain I was in for any prolonged period must be like.

After 6 days I'm doing pretty good. I spoke to my surgeon today and he says my recovery may be a little longer as my hems were "very large" and he had to remove a lot of tissue and even use some sutures (which he usually does not do). I think I've overdone the Metamucil (twice a day) thing as each BM starts softish but then turns into diarrhea and I end up having to go and go and go - which burns like hell! I have to run to the shower and use it as a bidet to wash myself before wiping to limit the irritation.

Other than the BM's the rest of my days are pain free. Everyday seems to get better and better. It'll be a rather strange Holiday season this year for certain. My wife and kid's are very supportive.

The pain of this recovery will be worth not having bleeding hemmorrhoids. They were becoming embarrassing and dangerous. Just last week I had my office Christmas party and started bleeding while dancing... unbelievable. Good riddance. I had been through banding 3 times and every other treatment that I thought might work.

I swear to keep good hygiene and NEVER EVER read the paper on the john again!

Hi honey! We are on our own group on another site and talk about ALL the issues that go along with hemis!!!! Does your doctor go by the thoughts of using creams or not? Some doctors want you to use lanacane and others don't! I usually tell people to use a Sitz bath - I find that help a LOT of people with the pain! Fish oils are excellant for helping your bowels be regular - instead of too much fiber! I wish for you speedy healing! And the good thing is you can ask any question on here and no one knows who you are, we just all have the same experiences and sometimes can help each other! Take Care!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Can you provide the link to the site you are talking about? I'd love to join you folks there.

Hi! Here it is!

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/26-days-post-hemorrhoidectomy&highlight=