I'm a 37yo male. I had my first hem in my early 20s and then the ocassional flare-up every year or so. It's gotten worse over the years and last year I had the worst case of hems ever. They eventually got better, but it never completely went away, and I've been dealing with, what I believe to be stage 3-4 hems. Not much pain, just discomfort. I can usually push them back in, which helps, but then they come back out after a while. Sticking a piece of cotton ball back there helps, but I've been doing this for almost a year now and it's getting more difficult to keep them in there. I think I may also have skin tags from previous flare-ups, but they don't bother me.

Either way, I'm considering THD surgery. I have to say it's quite distressing to read some of the reviews on here, but I have hope that it's just the the initial venting right after surgery when pain is most severe. I live in the Austin area and there a few surgeons who perform the procedure, but I can't find specific information. Has anyone in this area had the procedure done? Thoughts?

Also, please share any experiences you had 2-3 months post-op. Thanks :)

Hi Steve

I had the THD procedure done last December, the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving.  I had terrible internal and external hems, as well as rectal prolapse whenever I would have a bowel movement.  The procedure itself was a nonevent.  You can find my diary under this topic as "45 Year Old Man."  I would do the procedure again in a heartbeat.  My life has changed 1000% for the better.  Most of the pain and discomfort was gone by 10 days.  If I had to do it over, I'd take the Miralax starting day one and skip the colace.  

45 Year Old Man

Hi 45,

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't find you diary though. People are much more likely to criticize than to praise, so it's nice to hear a success story.

I'll bump it up