Hi there, I really need some advice and possible reassurance after getting myself in a...certain situation...

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex last Saturday the 14th, and I took the morning after pill 2 days later (16th). My last period was on the 31st August so it was right around ovulation time. I was given ellaOne, which is the 120 hour pill that helps to prevent pregnancy. Although my boyfriend definitely did not ejaculate inside me and is sure he didn't precum, I took it as a precaution.

So, I've had sore breasts and some light abdominal pain since Monday when I took it and lots of white/clear discharge in my knickers (sorry for the TMI). I have been reading online however and some women said that taking the MAP around ovulation time means it won't work... I got it from my local clinic and the woman gave it to me saying there was 75/80% chance of success because of the timing etc. but I'm still worried that this whole ovulation theory is correct? By rights I should get my period on the 1st October or something, but I have taken the MAP before and it has delayed my period a week so I know what I may be expecting, I just really hope I'm not pregnant and I'm sure I won't make such a stupid mistake of unprotected again.

So, what I really need to know is, can the morning after pill still work if I was ovulating at the time I took it? ...and also are tender breasts and discharge because of the pill I took or could it be pregnancy...I am extremely worried.

Thanks so much, any past experiences of the morning after pill and the after effects are much appreciated!

Hi Victoria,

Yes, the pill can still work near ovulation.  But, the longer you wait the less effective it becomes.  The concern is that as you wait, the better the chances that the fertilized ovum implants.  If that happens, you're pregnant and the pill won't stop it.

Sore breasts and discharge are common side effects.  You already know your period can be early or late and heavier or lighter than usual.

If your period is late you can take a home test.  Be sure to use your wake up pee for best accuracy.

Good luck.

Okay, well surely that's not a problem?

I took the MAP within the time and also: Implantation typically occurs 6 to 10 days after ovulation, or day 20 to 24 of a menstrual cycle.

So surely I'm safe...?

You are correct and should be safe.

Thank you, I'll keep you updated - very helpful!

Please keep checking just in case I get anything new!

Thank you again

Excuse me, I'm interested to know if you got pregnant or it worked. i have the same case.

I thought I should share my story: So I had unprotected sex during my ovulation stage. 3 days later I felt a shooting pain in my breast and a funny vibration/pressure in my lower abdomen.
These feelings were very similar to the first time I became pregnant (& later proceeded with a termination). I was certain these symptoms were an indication of pregnancy.
I did take a pregnancy test (a few) which came back negative but it is advised to take it as early as 3 days before your period but mine wasn't due for another couple of weeks. Either way I decided on the 5th day to take Ellaone. I was highly skeptical it would work because 1) I was ovulating and 2) I had left it to the last day you're able to take it.
The day after I took it I felt those pregnancy symptoms go away, I then decided to wait to take a pregnancy test 3 days before my period so I would know for sure if I was pregnant/the ellaone had worked. 3 days before I was due "on" I actually started my period.
I believe that the Ellaone prevented my body from becoming pregnant.
When I researched all of this all I read was experiences that Ellaone did not work and would not work whilst ovulating. So I thought it was worth sharing my opposing experience.

but what was the outcome, did you end up pregnant?

Hi I have taken ella one on day 14 of my cycle will it still work? Im petrified

I had unprotected sex on the day of my ovulation and l took morning after pills after 9 hours lam very scared and terrified.