Hi!

My girlfriend has this weird condition, and she has absolutely no tolerance for alcohol. And by alcohol I don't mean just alcoholic beverages, but also sugar alcohols. For example, if she brushes her teeth with regular toothpaste that includes sorbitol and xylitol, her breath will smell like she's had a good amount of liquor! And even a normal fruit juice can include some ingredients that cause that too, and the worst case scenario is, that she gets totally drunk, and at that point she will hallucinate and talk to imaginary people and it's impossible to talk to her in that condition. And the morning after she would not remember anything, and she might have a terrible hangover too with six hours of vomiting! I could write a book of all those million times I have seen this happen.

We are both getting desperate with this, because it can happen accidentally. Even if she's really trying to avoid it, I'm in a constant fear that she would eat or drink something bad because it happens almost once a week somehow. And she doesn't drink real alcohol, that's not even possible, because I think that would really kill her or something.

But I have pinpointed this mainly to stuff with sugar alcohols. Of course she wouldn't touch anything including real alcohol, but she can't even eat a breath mint without that smell in her breath! Even a baby could eat one with no side effects! So this really is getting out of control, and the doctors she have met didn't have a clue, and many doesn't even believe her I think. "You get drunk on a breath mint? Yeah, right!" But that really is happening, so I hope someone might have even a little bit of info what we are dealing with here...

Thanks, Paul.

What you describe happening to your girlfriend definitely sounds much worse than simple alcohol intolerance, and even if we skip the part where doctors just disregard what is happening (like someone would do that for the fun of it), she really should get all the tests she can because if she is unable to digest these substances properly, there is a chance that they might cause buildup of damage in her gastro-intestinal system. This might be related only to alcohol, but definitely she should get full set of allergy test to determine the exact causes. Did this always happen, since she was a kid, or did it start at one point?

nikols wrote:

Paul4x4 wrote:

Hi!

Thanks, Paul.

This thing started like three years ago(she's 30 now), and before that she didn't have any problems. First she started hallucinating only after a good amount of drinking, but it's been slowly getting worse, and now we are at this point where she needs to be extremely cautious with everything she puts in her mouth...

The obvious thing was to think that if this has been happening for a long time that it might be some genetic disorder, however, now that situation really has come to the point where she can't safely eat anything, I think that she will have to see a good gastro-enterologist, to check what is going on with her digestive system and than there are tests for allergies. And this really doesn't sound like something that can wait, because of the danger that something she eats might cause all these symptoms when she can't predict it.

I think your girlfriend might be schitzophrenic, be abusing substances in a way you're not aware of, or have some other mental disorder.

She needs a fairly comprehensive evaluation.

Little known fact is that a lot of people eventually become intolerant to the yeast in alcohol especially when consumed frequently over a longer period of time, same with coffee, you may become more sensitive to it.

Also it sounds like she has a seperare allergy to something in th toothpaste, and is she swollowing any of the toothpaste? because your not supposed to, i reccomend using kids toothpaste instead and use a soft bristle toothbrush which is a bit smaller and much softer than the average toothbrush, and use only a blob of toothpaste on the wider part of the bristles, give the teeth a good brush over and over the gums (soft bristle toothbrushes are nice for going across the tops of the teeth too), rinse the mouth out then go over the teeth with anothr blob, this is what i do because i tend to choke on toothpaste and i manage to not swollow any as far as i know. As for her not being able to eat or drink sugary stuff id get to the doctors about that.