I am a 35 year old female that experiences bone pain in my arms and legs after consumption of alcohol. The pain only lasts for a few minutes and then goes away.

The pain can occur with just a drop of alcohol. I regularly get this pain after I swish my mouth out with mouthwash. I don't swallow the mouth wash but even a drop of it going down my throat triggers this reaction. I can always tell if someone has used alcohol in baking or cooking because my arms and legs will hurt for a couple minutes after I consume the item.

It doesn't matter if it's beer, wine or hard liquor. Anything that contains alcohol causes the pain. I have experienced this all my life and as I have gotten older, the pain is more severe.

Anyone else experience a reaction like the one described above?

i get leg pains from drinking as a hangover effect. all day sometimes. reminds me why i dont drink everytime i drink.

i drink very rarely. and i drink heavily even less often

it is when i drink heavily that as a hangover symptom, pain grows from my fingers, forearms, down my spine and ribs and to my shins and toes

i had never heard of this until it happened to me

this may be a side effect/interaction with the medication i am taking, risperidone

if either of you find out what this problem is called, i would very much like to know _[removed]_

thanks
b

I have similar issue. After a few drinks (and only needs to be 2 or 3) I often wake up in the night with a pain in one hip/top of leg. Its more of an ache as apposed to a sharp pain like cramps. It is normally there the following day but will wear off in the day.

(I'm 36, healthy, attend gym etc)

Any help appreciated!!

I'm 34 and I just experience this similar problem lately.

I drink one glass of wine and with a few hours some pain grows somewhere in my bone, whether it's my index finger bone or somewhere in my leg or shoulders.

Usually after a few days it goes away... provided that I don't drink during those few days.

Does anybody know what symptom this is?

Elisheva.

I have a similar problem. I'm a 19 year old female. When I drink even small amounts of alcohol, especially hard liquor I get pains in my legs, it's a tight feeling, more of an ache, but it is very painful, sometimes heating pads work but usually I take some ibuprofen and sleep it off.

I've also noticed that I get this pain in my right leg when I have menstrual cramps (sorry if that's a bit too much information) and get random pain in my arms.

This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the nervous system or spinal cord.

I have had leg pain all my life and it for me is 10 times worse when I drink any amount of alcohol/have my period/ and weather changes. I have had tons of tests with no outcome. My RA doc said it sounds like gout which is nearly impossible since I am a young (29) female and this condition usually affects older men!! it is like a severe ache to the point I cannot walk!!

I also have a similar problem only it occurs the day after drinking. I don't ever suffer from any other hangover symptoms although my bones always hurt, everywhere in my body especially my ribs.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to make it go away?

I'm a 29 years old male, and I don't drink very often. I notice that every time I drink beer or any other kind of alcohol, the next day my middle finger, typically on my right hand, hurts. Sometimes it hurts on the left hand as well, and as I am typing this, my right thumb and my right hand and left hand middle fingers are hurting. I had a special night last night with my girlfriend, celebrating Valentine's, and had a few drinks. My first drink so far this year, and today I am hurting. Since I go months without drinking, I typically forget, until the day after I do, then my fingers hurt, typically my middle one. Sometimes I also feel pain in both of my legs, but not always. Can anyone tell me why on earth this happens, and does it mean I am allergic to alcohol? Jokingly, I typically say that it is alcohol's way of telling me what to do with myself, considering the finger that almost always hurts is my middle one. It also looks as if my finger has been smashed, like the nail is irritated and dying. This is really bizzarre. Can anyone help?

I am 21 years old. I also experience bone pain after drinking any kind of alcohol at all. It can be a lot or very little. It happens within minutes. I particularly get it in my legs.

I'm the same as jdolan. A swig of wine or beer or spirits can cause pain running down my arms and legs like and ache, it lasts for a minute or two when I start my glass and then stops. Now i have not thought about this for years as it has not happened in a very long time and only just reoccurred tonight. The change? I can only put it down to going back on the contraceptive pill after a very long break - I wonder if that has anything to do with it? My mum said it happened to her later in life and then went away. I am now 36 but I guess it started around 30 which is when i went off the pill.

This happens to me almost every time. I am very active, gym everyday and stretch every morning. The pain resides in my hip, knee, and calf. I stopped drinking for 2 weeks....no pain. Its really uncomfortable.

well, I am 40 years old and don't drink alcohol at all and just started having pain in the bone of my right leg during my period. when the stomach cramp hits so does the leg pain. It is excrutiating. ??????

I also will sometimes experience a pain in my hand or wrist the morning after drinking. I do believe it feels like it is in the bone as well. It is usually in the right hand. For a while I thought that I sleep on my hand weird after I drink and that's what was causing the pain but I don't think this is the case. Doesn't seem like anyone really has an answer to this though. Kinda weird heh.

I've gone through this twice, and last one was as recent as last night. The first time was about 7 years ago, but what happened that one time was that I drank some wine that was sitting on a friend's fridge for about a week and since it didn't smell funny, she gave it to me. Hours later, my left arm started to hurt, with increasing intensity until I couldn't even sleep. It was this sharp stabbing pain that lasted didn't go away until I found some Vioxx and took them and a while after it subsided. I asked my friend's dad, who's a doctor, and he said that maybe it was the aldehyde that might have formed on the wine, for the alcohol decomposing and that all I needed to do was drink water. Even after the Vioxx wore off, I had some discomfort for at least a day or so until it disappeared. Years have passed, and parties and dinners have gone by and I've drank alcohol, from hard liquor to beer and wine and nothing ever happened, until last night. I went out for my brother's engagement party and had a few mojitos and everything was perfect, but then at 5 am, it woke me up again! Sharp unbearable pain on my right wrist that I couldn't even move my forearm. I know it's not gout since gouty arthritis episodes include redness and swelling of the joint and it doesn't fade away by itself, you need meds for that. I took something after having my husband running around the house trying to find something for the pain because I couldn't stop crying, and it improved. But after 4 hours and the med wearing off, it started all over again, but with less intensity. It's been over 24 hours since the mojitos and I still feel this discomfort running from my wrist to my elbow and I have no explanation about it until I go to the doctor tomorrow. If I get an answer for this, I'll let you know.