Hi Not sure if anyone can Explain whats going on here. I am a 46 year old white male. I used to drink relatively heavily being in the navy. Although i hardly was ever sick or had a hangover. Over the last couple of years I have developed what I can only describe as an alcohol intolerance.
Which seems to be getting worse and has manifested itself with as little as a pint of beer.
I can drink a couple of beers and go to bed feeling quite OK. but am awoken about two to three hours later feeling sick.
I am then usually sick until there is nothing left to bring up. After each bout of vomiting I usually Hyperventilate and get cold shakes and am freezing. If i lay back down and start to doze off, I awake suddenly as if Im not breathing and gasp for breath which starts me hyperventilating again and usually causes another bout of vomitting even if my gut is empty i still try. Eventually I stop vomitting and can go back to sleep but this may be as long as 4 hours after the first vomit
This does not happen all the time but is becoming more frequent. sometimes I can drink 4 or 5 beers and nothing happens and sometimes 1 or 2 beers will set it in motion. the following day i generally feel weak and tired and cant eat till that evening.

Short of giving up drinking altogether Im at my wits end. Its quite embarassing when you have a meal and a couple of glasses of wine at a friends house and spend the night with your head down their toilet.

Please help anyone

I am 23 years old and for the past 2 years I have experienced a severe reaction to alcohol. It is hard to predict when I will be sick becuase sometimes I will have 5 drinks and be ok and other times only 2 drinks will make me throw up. My mother has taken me to hospital on two occasions because I will throw up from 6am to 6pm the day after I drink. I become so severly dehydrated that I feel sick for about 5 days. The doctors didnt have any sympathy for me at the hospital as they probably thought I had just been out binge drinking with my friends. They just tested my blood sugar levels and told me to try and keep some water down. I never throw up whilst I'm drinking but usually wake up fairly early to vomit and my whole body shakes throughout the day.

After doing some of my own research I am going to consult a naturopath to give me an adrenal test to assess how my adrenal glands are functioning and to also check my liver out. Drinking alcohol has a profound effect on blood sugar levels and depletes your body of important minerals and electrolytes so maybe this test would be helpful for all those people out there who have the same problem. I am just at the stage now where I can never get drunk ever again and having a reason would give me some peace of mind. Until then I'll remain designated driver every saturday night!!

Hi just wandering did you find an answer here is my wifes profile and we too are looking for an answer

Hi can anyone advise my lovely wife went out on her 35th birthday 2 years ago and drank far too much red wine and was really ill. Normally she only drank on special occasions so she was not by any means a regular drinker. Well you would imagine that she would learn a lesson and moderate her intake from then on but something very strange has happened now if she drinks at all for example 1 glass of red wine at dinner, 7pm she will be ok fine and enjoy the rest of the evening she is not drunk or giggly just normal really, she will be ok to bedtime and maybe for 1 hour while asleep then she will feel sick and soon after vomit then shake have sweats possibly diarrhea for maybe 2-3 hours then the next day she will be shattered as you would imagine.

Well this weekend she had not had a alcoholic drink for two months and I suggested trying 1/2 a Guinness on Saturday afternoon she drank this and was fine then on Sunday we went for a cycle ride past pubs along the canal and at 14.30 she had 1/2 a Guinness then about 17.00 she had 1/2 a Guinness then with dinner at 19.00 she had 1/2 a Guinness and was fine drove us home not drunk or giggly we watched telly till midnight then went to bed and about 00.30 in the morning the nausea and vomiting started

We have paid for tests with cameras in her stomach but no faults were found we have tried different drinks i.e. red wine and Guinness and we have tried substantial periods without drink at all. Doctors automatically think serves you right for drinking, unfortunately and I don’t believe it is physiological as last night on the way home she was happy and not feeling any symptoms or trepidation

Any advice much appreciated

I have no solution but the same problem. I could drink fine for years, it would take about 5 drinks to make me sick, but that did not happen often. Then after less than half a beer, glass of wine or mix drink, in a few hours I become very ill. I just became lactose intolerant (at age 27 btw I am white female) and maybe my body is not producing the enzymes to digest alcase (Sp) the sugar in alcohol (lactose intolerance comes from the body not producing enzymes to break down the sugar lactose).

I have the same reaction to both (and it is not pretty): Start to feel sick with sour stomach, then vomit, diarrhea, stabbing cramps. I become cold, sometimes my hands and arms start to tingle. It is pretty outrageous. This will go on for hours. I have to do yoga breathing to prevent dry heaving into hypervenelation.

I saw two gastroenterologists who both said not to drink and had nothing else to offer.

I have since become the DD for life but do not give up hope there may be a cure for my drinking problem some day.

It is not something that all Doctors will tell you - because they are concerned with finding out if there are serious medical problems occuring - but alchohol can bring on Panic Attacks. I have apparently always been prone to panic attacks(although i didn't know it) but alcohol has made them worse. Now I still drink but cannot tell which occasions Im going to have a bad reaction although it is usually only 1 attack in 20 occasions. I had tests for adrenal cancer and when negative the doctor didn't even mention Panic Attacks! (apparently because I didn't look like the nervous type) It happened so often and was so extreme that I became a recluse and this lead to Panic Attacks even when not drinking. Since then I have learned relaxation techniques and my Panic Attacks don't happen much any more but I can wake up 1 hour in to sleep after drinking (sometimes lots, sometimes only a tiny ammount) with shakes and sweats, needing to evacuate my bowels, feeling nauseous with my mind racing, mouth dry. It is horrible but relaxation techniques DO HELP because just as the physical affects of alcohol can effect your emotional reactions your emotional state can make changes to your physical reactions eg slow your heart rate by learning diaphragmatic breathing.

Hi. I was looking on this website as i've become tired of being sick after only 2 alcoholic drinks. I drink maybe once every 2 months, so at first i thought it was just me not being used to alcohol but it's happened so many times now, shaking, feeling cold and very sweaty, sickness, diarrhoea, heavy breathing.

I agree with punk_pig about panic attacks...i'm a student nurse and have seen people with panic attacks which aren't picked up by Dr's. I think when you're sick you panic, and it's made worse by the feeling that you can't take a breath in because sick is coming out and never going to stop. Personally, i have to take deep breaths just before each gag (nice i know!).

I can understand the shakiness (to do with a drop in blood sugar after drinking sugary drinks earlier in the evening). And the feeling cold and sweaty is probably to do with this too. What i can't understand is the sickness and diarrhoea (which i find the worst part). If i'd have been a binging teenager i could understand i may have damaged things but it's been 7 years since i really badly binged and i was fine until 2 years ago. It's nothing to do with my stomach muscles or the sphincter near my stomach.

Maybe it's the same kind of thing as when people BECOME intolerant to milk, bread or devlop allergies to pollen, animals, etc. It becomes worse as you get older.... If anyone ever find out, let me know please :o)

I'm 31 and for the past couple of months I have had something similar. My face flushes or goes red and blotchy with the first glass of alcohol and if I continue I wake in the night with terible cramps then spend at least half an hour on the toilet dispossing of all the food I have consumed for the past few days. Then I feel fine.

It doesn't always happen, thats the annoyance, if it did, i expect i would stop drinking all togther.

I have always been only a moderate drinker, perhaps once a week apart from the occasional teenage binge.

I've been having similar problems but not quite the same, in the summer i went on holiday to Bulgaria and whilst over there i was ill for a few days this seemed to start after having dodgy food which was a soup that was really oily and some pasta, the problem was i was sweating, feeling really sick, completely losing my appetite and even having little hallucinations such as seeing my friends dancing around me but it was really realistic. Anyway now i get this when i've been drinking and dont have much sleep, say when i go to a house party or something i get home the next day and cant eat,sweat and constantly feel really sick. This is the only time i get this now though please help i want to know what it is, i've had a faeces test at the doctors if thats any help.

This sucks, (38years old) I too get red after after my first drink, it also get hot to the touch! But it only happen certain times of the month (i'm a Guy BTW, it seems to act up right after my wife menstrual cycle, weird. About a month ago i went out, I had about 8 Sam Adams beers between 6pm and midnight. went home felt fine. watch Tv to about 130am went to bed. woke up at 6am, got very sick, I was throwing up, bowel movements, sweeting, and a really bad headache. it would stop, I would try to go to bed, then it would start all over again. This would last for about 6 hours. until there was only green slime coming out of my stomach. this happened twice before but it was vodka that did it, the first time I drank a lot ( a family member died) the next time was two drinks (not strong) so I though it was the hard stuff. So I stuck with beer. then 2 months later now the beer is doing it to me. Last night I drank 3 beer, I woke up at 6am did not vomit but I have ever thing else. I did drink two glasses of water as soon as I woke and ate toast. That might have help with the vomiting! I alway got red rash after the first drink just in the last few year have it felt like it was burning! It might be dehydration. If you do drink, try drink some Gatorade after you get home before bed! I just going to quit. But that is not an answer there might be soothing else wrong, need to find out!

just a thought....i had the same problem where i was fine drinking and then became ill after one or two drinks (or sometimes even just 1/2 a drink). i found a pattern where i would get sick only when i had alcohol when i had products that were high in lactose (like cream or cheese with a dinner, dessert, or coffee). If i had these high lactose foods/drinks around the same time i had the alcohol, within an hour or three i would be sick.
now i avoid lactose when i drink and i am fine! good luck! let me know if this helps!

Go visit an immunologist. You may have a food intolerance to histamine.

High amounts of histamine (amines) are found in wines,(and other alcohol too) cheeses,chocolate/and MANY fruits & vegetables eg: tomatoes, spinach,eggplant,vinegars, soy sauce,stock cubes.
Fish and fish products are also extremely high in histamine.
If you eat these foods as well as drinking (even a small amount) of alcohol (that is high in histamine), your amine levels rise and you get ill several hours later. In my case, it was migraines & vomiting.

I had been trying to find out what was wrong with me for years. I am 47 year old & female.

I thought it was an alcohol intolerance thing -just having 1/2 glass of wine was making me very ill. But since I could drink alcohol in the past, it seemed strange to have weird side effects- all of a sudden.
After much research, (including looking into "menopause!") it was interesting to make the food/drink/histamine connection.
Many "healthy" foods are in fact loaded with amines. You may be snacking on a cheese plate and drinking a beer- or, dining with friends and enjoyong a glass of wine-and hours later the amine intolerance kicks in. You can't understand the "hangover" when you have only had a small amount of booze.
My problems only began about 3 years ago. Apparently,a build up of amines in the body causes this.
Look up "histamine intolerance" on the internet. And, like I did, gather some clues & go see the doctor.
Now I keep a food diary and I watch what I am eating.
Hopefully,you may find this very helpful, and may be suprized about the foods/booze combinations that may be a problem to you. Good luck!

Hey Everyone,

I too was experiencing these same symptoms to drinking alcohol in very small quantities. I quit drinking all together for months before finding out that I had Adrenal Fatigue. Years of not eating healthy foods (or eating that much at all) had caught up with me. I am a teacher and I used to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and was on the go all day with nothing to eat until dinner. Anyway, I found some great Adrenal Supplements, started taking wheat grass and changed my diet completely and Viola! I can enjoy alcoholic beverages again. Its funny how we think we are invincible and then all of the sudden we are not. Eat healthy and take care of your adrenals, it worked for me. Best of luck to all.

It's good to know I'm not the only one! I am a regular drinker and usually have a fairly high tolerance for alcohol. Over the past year or so I have come to realise that red wine causes me to have a very bad stomach (vomitting and pain). This has been getting progressively worse to the point where I had no red wine (beyond 1 small glass) for about six month. Last night, remembering how much I like it, I had three large glasses over dinner and was so drunk I had to be escorted home as my friends were worried I'd be hit by a car! I have absolutely no recollection of this what so ever. Once home (apparently!) I spent a good amount of time vomitting and the whole of the today has been spent feeling unbelievably nasueas and vomitting. It has lasted for a good 24hours. It's extrememly embarassing to go out for a civilised meal and then get that drunk! What was also strange was that at no point did I feel tipsy and my friend who I regularly drink with had exactly the same amount as me and was totally sober! She said that she was astounded by how drunk I was and had no idea why I was behaving so weirdly until she realsied that I was gone! I went from sober to "nailed" to vomitting! I have allergies (mild and severe) to almost everything under the sun, but looking on the internet I do not think that there is anything in red wine specifically which would cause this reaction. People have mentioned here that they are alergic to lactose - I am completely dairy intolerant and have been since birth as have half my family. I can't imagine that there would be dairy in red wine though surely?! I'll be sticking to nice save ales in future - not very lady like but it's better than spending another day like this!!!!

I am a 19 year old in college and I am experiencing terrible reactions to any type of alcohol I consume. I know all you guys are much older and have developed intolerance. As a freshman in college I drank occasionally in High School and at home, and I would be fine I would have one drink. I went to college and had quite a bit of svedka on one occasion the fist month of school, and after words I got violently sick and had a hang over and the like. I attributed that to binge drinking and my body not being used to consuming alcohol. now around 6 months later I had a taste, literally a taste of svedka and I almost threw up a couple hours later. After having the sip I felt fine and I went to sleep, about an hour or so later I woke up feeling really sick, and went to the bathroom and had diarrhea. Now I am sitting awake trying not to throw up. I have tried different kinds of alcohol but all have the same effect on me. The weird part is that when I go home I could have a drink and be completely fine, maybe experience a little heartburn. I am the DD for the rest of my life because I am giving up alcohol completely, one sip and I am done. Any thoughts?

Are you currently taking any monoamine oxidase inhibitors? Red wine and aged cheese are contraindicated if you're taking MOAI's. Some chemical, not sure what or which, in red wine interacts with MOAI's. MOAI's prevent the re-uptake of norepinephrine, and sort of allow more norepinephrine to stimulate alpha receptors. Your body may compensate by producing more acetylcholine. If you inhibit MOAI's, you cut the excess supply of norepinephrine and the excess acetylcholine (produced in response to the increased NE) has side effects that include nausea & vomting if I remember right. You should consult your local pharmacist, consultation is free and I'm just a first year pharmacy student so I may have stated something incorrectly