Hi, recently I saw a TV show that was about people who, as far as I understood it, can not drink milk or have any dairy products at all. Apparently, they are suffering from a condition called lactose intolerance. I have never heard anything about that. Can you tell me something about this illness? I am also wondering what's it like living with lactose intolerance. I couldn't imagine my life without dairy products.

Hi, there is nothing much strange about lactose intolerance. As a matter of fact, this illness is quite common. It occurs as a result of insufficient production of enzyme called lactase. This enzyme is responsible for unbinding milk sugar, found in dairy products and milk, into sugars our organism can digest and turn into energy. I also have lactose intolerance. The thing is, it is not so difficult to adjust your life to this condition. I just love drinking milk. In order to maintain a healthy life, I only needed to cut up on milk. Being lactose intolerant doesn't mean that I have to give up milk altogether. Some small amounts of dairy products are allowed. However, there are some cases of lactose intolerance in which you must give up on milk and dairy products for good.